Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They broadcast AFLW from there, but the lighting is not really up to standard
    Yeah, it suits a purpose in that it's OK for VFL and AFLw but it just wouldn't cover enough angles for a full blown AFL match anymore
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah, it suits a purpose in that it's OK for VFL and AFLw but it just wouldn't cover enough angles for a full blown AFL match anymore
    Also with Marvel and MCG, you can lock people out
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agreed. Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore have learnt from SARS and acted quickly and decisively and have slowed the spread considerably. It was really unfortunate that the epicentre in Europe is probably the number one tourist spot on the Continent.

Reactive measures are like pissing up hill on one leg on a windy day when it comes to stemming the flow of this virus. That the Andrews Government put money over the health of people in regards to the F1 is an unacceptable inditement on his leadership.
    Italy is currently the global Petri dish for this virus, closely followed by other large continental European countries like France and Spain. Common sense would suggest that if mass Ferrari tourists and personnel coming into Melbourne from Italy and Europe could be avoided, it should have been. There was a clear window to do this over a week ago when Bahrain made their decision to close off the general public from their GP, but that opportunity was not taken. Instead we had the hot mess that took place this morning, and our exposure to potentially increased cases from Italy and Europe this past week.

The comparison with local sporting events and local public transport is disingenuous at best, and likely designed to fit a political point-scoring narrative. These events will no doubt be held behind closed doors or suspended as the spread of the virus escalates, as they should. But it is insulting our intelligence to compare a local sporting event with an international event where the (currently) most affected and virulent part of the world is given a red carpet ride into the country.

My heart goes out to everyone in the medical industry, who are every bit the heroes at the moment that our fire fighters and voluntees were during the bushfires. I hope that the spread can be managed in Australia so that our health services are not stretched to bursting point as they currently are in Italy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes azabob, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile flights in and out of the country continue

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Meanwhile flights in and out of the country continue
    Yeah this is the one I can't understand.

No point banning sporting events if we're still allowing international travel.

Understand the impact this has on the economy, but do we want to contain the spread of the virus or not?

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    My heart goes out to everyone in the medical industry, who are every bit the heroes at the moment that our fire fighters and voluntees were during the bushfires. I hope that the spread can be managed in Australia so that our health services are not stretched to bursting point as they currently are in Italy.
    Many fire stations now perform EMR duties before ambulances can arrive, and there has been at least 1 Covid scare that has shut down a station this week. Not looking forward to seeing what happens when/if the virus runs riot through our emergency services.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Understand the impact this has on the economy, but do we want to contain the spread of the virus or not?
    Exactly, we need a proper plan to contain the virus.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: general international travel, Australia already has the strictest quarantining and screening processes in the world for all international arrivals. Are people honestly suggesting that we close off our borders to the entire world when our rate of infection is still incredibly low compared to the rest of the world (as the hard work was done cutting off the source, China, so early)? Arrivals from the global hot spots of China, Korea, Iran and Italy have already all been banned, and no doubt arrivals from other couintries will follow suit if their intection rates continue to rise. Closing off borders from the entire world is truly a nuclear option, and may not actually stop the spread now that the genie is out of the bottle. It's all about managing the spread now so that health services can function as efficiently as possible, and luckily with under 200 confirmed cases as of today, we are so much better prepared than most of the rest of the world for the difficult weeks and months ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Callum Hudson-Odoi tests positive for coronavirus. Chelsea squad to self-isolate. Situation developing all the time in the Premier League. #CFC
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Many fire stations now perform EMR duties before ambulances can arrive, and there has been at least 1 Covid scare that has shut down a station this week. Not looking forward to seeing what happens when/if the virus runs riot through our emergency services.
    That is sad to hear. I hope there is a full recovery for that individual/station. They are absolute heroes and still have many months of hard work ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

There's an argument advanced by those qualified to comment that travel bans - at this point - are literally useless. I think the phrase employed was it's about as helpful a measure now as "locking the door after the axe killer's entered your house", and potentially a distraction from more effective day to day measures.

Speaking of which, when does the AFEL blink?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    There's an argument advanced by those qualified to comment that travel bans - at this point - are literally useless. I think the phrase employed was it's about as helpful a measure now as "locking the door after the axe killer's entered your house", and potentially a distraction from more effective day to day measures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

It's not about stopping the spread completely, it's about slowing the rate of infection so our medical services can cope.
    In the areas of Italy where they've been swamped with infection the medical staff are selecting which patients to incubate and which to avoid treating, simply because they don't have the resources. It's part of the reason their fatality rate is higher than other countries.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming this is legit, looks like the AFEL might've just had the decision made for them.

It is Chris Uhlmann though, sooo ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Yet this morning Scotty from marketing saying everyone should go on as usual and attend sports etc.