Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The minute a player tests positive, the season will be suspended. Until that happens, there is no way that the AFEL or Ch 7 will stop the show from going on. Always back self-interest.

In the race of life, always back self-interest — at least you know it's trying PJ Keating.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Speaking of NBA. Christian Wood just tested positive to COVID19. He played on Ruby Gobert Saturday. The AFL think locking out fans is the answer to the troubles of the league?
    Christian Wood also randomly turned into the best player in the league after catching it. Maybe there’s an upside? Can anyone check if Peter Dutton can shoot the 3 now?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm now of the belief that we shouldn't contemplate playing games in empty stadiums in the first few weeks of the scheduled season.
    There are a few reasons for this:

1) The game is for the fans and without fans attending I don't think they should go ahead. It may get to that point but we should wait

2) Why is deemed safe enough for the players? They are in contact with family and friends and in some cases have children of their own. On top of that it's a very physical sport where contact to the head is likely. Are we sure we can contain this for the players in the games?

3) I think too many people are looking at this as a way of protecting the business of the AFL and while I get that it still doesn't mean it should be the primary focus over the safety of the players and the community.

We should hold back for another month before contemplating playing games with no fans in attendance because there are number of viable options that could be explored before we get to that scenario

I'll chip in what I can to help the club through this time
    Though I think a cancellation, or at least a postponement is likely, I don't believe it is the logical thing to do. I am not dismissing the seriousness of the COVID-19 situation, it is simply that cancelling the games doesn't align with what needs to be done at this stage.

I am not a medico, however, my understanding is that what the Government is trying to do is flatten the curve of new cases so that the hospitals are not swamped. If they are then the death rate will climb. If the curve is flattened and the hospitals are able to cope, there will likely be less deaths but it will be unlikely to have any impact on the total number of people who will eventually contract the virus. You will note in the diagrams of a flattened curve that the width of the curve is greater. It is the area under the curve that correlates to the total number of people infected. In this scenario, stopping large groups of people from congregating together makes sense, stopping players from playing competitive sport does nothing.

With regard the above points.

1. Fans watch a lot of sport on TV. I watch tennis, golf etc and have never been to a major event in these sports. I also watch all away games on TV. It is not an unusual situation.

2. The cancelling of major events is not about the safety of the people who would be attending these events. It is about slowing the rate of infection. Unless you lock yourself in a plastic bubble or become a self sufficient hermit, you are most likely going to be exposed. AFEL players are one of the least at risk groups. Fit and in the prime of their life.

3. The AFEL may be considering the financial cost, but it shouldn't be, and it may not be. Playing the games with the crowd locked out is absolutely in line with the current medical advice. Unless the government implements a 1 metre social exclusion policy, it will continue to be. A move to such a policy now would most likely be counter productive with regard to the achievement of the flattened curve.

Holding back for a month will mean cancellation. This is not going to be over in a month. The predictions are 8 to 12 weeks until the peak. If you are going to catch this and most of us probably will, then you don't want to have it at the peak time when the hospitals are not coping and there are no ventilators available if you need one.

The reason I think the AFEL will be postponed or cancelled will be public pressure because I believe most people think the government imposed restrictions are about the risk from the virus itself, rather than about the risk of the medical system falling over.

As stated above, I'm not a medico so my understanding of the risk may be misguided. I am in a decision making position in education though, so I am reasonably well informed.
    Last edited by Before I Die; 16-03-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, GVGjr, josie, Axe Man, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Though I think a cancellation, or at least a postponement is likely, I don't believe it is the logical thing to do. I am not dismissing the seriousness of the COVID-19 situation, it is simply that cancelling the games doesn't align with what needs to be done at this stage.

I am not a medico, however, my understanding is that what the Government is trying to do is flatten the curve of new cases so that the hospitals are not swamped. If they are then the death rate will climb. If the curve is flattened and the hospitals are able to cope, there will likely be less deaths but it will be unlikely to have any impact on the total number of people who will eventually contract the virus. You will note in the diagrams of a flattened curve that the width of the curve is greater. It is the volume under the curve that correlates to the total number of people infected. In this scenario, stopping large groups of people from congregating together makes sense, stopping players from playing competitive sport does nothing.

With regard the above points.

1. Fans watch a lot of sport on TV. I watch tennis, golf etc and have never been to a major event in these sports. I also watch all away games on TV. It is not an unusual situation.

2. The cancelling of major events is not about the safety of the people who would be attending these events. It is about slowing the rate of contraction. Unless you lock yourself in a plastic bubble or become a self sufficient hermit, you are most likely going to be exposed. AFEL players are one of the least at risk groups. Fit and in the prime of their life.

3. The AFEL may be considering the financial cost, but it shouldn't be, and it may not be. Playing the games with the crowd locked out is absolutely in line with the current medical advice. Unless the government implements a 1 metre social exclusion policy, it will continue to be. A move to such a policy now would most likely be counter productive with regard to the achievement of the flattened curve.

Holding back for a month will mean cancellation. This is not going to be over in a month. The predictions are 8 to 12 weeks until the peak. If you are going to catch this and most of us probably will, then you don't want to have it at the peak time when the hospitals are not coping and there are no ventilators available if you need one.

The reason I think the AFEL will be postponed or cancelled will be public pressure because I believe most people think the government imposed restrictions are about the risk from the virus itself, rather than about the risk of the medical system falling over.

As stated above, I'm not a medico so my understanding of the risk may be misguided. I am in a decision making position in education though, so I am reasonably well informed.
    I am copying and pasting this and using it as my opinion on the topic from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Christian Wood also randomly turned into the best player in the league after catching it. Maybe there’s an upside? Can anyone check if Peter Dutton can shoot the 3 now?
    Lol. He did go up a level as soon as he ran into Gobert, backed it up again the following game as well. Maybe there something in it.

Post Thanks / Like

2. The cancelling of major events is not about the safety of the people who would be attending these events. It is about slowing the rate of contraction. Unless you lock yourself in a plastic bubble or become a self sufficient hermit, you are most likely going to be exposed. AFEL players are one of the least at risk groups. Fit and in the prime of their life.

You can forget that one. The walkways and the peak of Mt Everest has just been closed due to coronavirus. I don't know if it's been detected there or what the story is.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a laugh

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

All VFL matches suspended indefinitely
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You can forget that one. The walkways and the peak of Mt Everest has just been closed due to coronavirus. I don't know if it's been detected there or what the story is.
    Probably due to an acute shortage of toilet paper due to panic buying ��
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Probably due to an acute shortage of toilet paper due to panic buying ��

To be fair those sherpas can really panic and shit themselves .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    To be fair those sherpas can really panic and shit themselves .
    No need to panic, by all reports the Yeti is a 'Dogs supporter.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

US Centre for Disease Control saying no groups of people over 50 for the next 8 weeks at least.

Will be copy this? If so, then no football games at any level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    US Centre for Disease Control saying no groups of people over 50 for the next 8 weeks at least.

Will be copy this? If so, then no football games at any level.
    It's almost inevitable we'll be in full lockdown at some stage. It seems we're being softened up for that blow minute by minute.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott Pendlebury has been quarantined with flu like symptoms and tested for Coronavirus. If he's positive I can;t see us playing next week.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...16-p54ago.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully he doesn’t have it but can’t play. Think that’s the fairest result for everyone.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -