Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

PM has just announced only essential domestic travel can be taken. Does this mean the end of AFL and NRL?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Are you saying we need to implement similar measures to China?
    If you believe the Chinese Government, they have had no new cases in three days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If you believe the Chinese Government, they have had no new cases in three days.
    Only in Wuhan, they have had new cases in other parts of the country. 46 today and 41 yesterday.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Every country should have from day one, now it is too late
    Thats crazy!

Your talking about government coming to apartment buildings & welding doors shut to keep people in isolation. Your talking about government coming to your house to take your temperature & if elevated dragging you out kicking & screaming. Your talking about medical martial law here! Government would be salivating at that type of power. This is way worse than the virus, this is the shit i was afraid of from day dot.

'Those who would give up liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' Benjamin Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    PM has just announced only essential domestic travel can be taken. Does this mean the end of AFL and NRL?
    A colleague I work with was supposed to be flying out today to Cairns for a 2.5 week holiday . While its a small price to pay for your safety she will be very disappointed
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I read an article that if we all heed the advice about social distancing etc for 2 weeks can go a long way of slowing this right down in Australia. Seems like a small price to pay in the bigger picture. Displays like that on Bondi don't help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A colleague I work with was supposed to be flying out today to Cairns for a 2.5 week holiday . While its a small price to pay for your safety she will be very disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I read an article that if we all heed the advice about social distancing etc for 2 weeks can go a long way of slowing this right down in Australia. Seems like a small price to pay in the bigger picture. Displays like that on Bondi don't help
    Yep, the only way through this is to be kind to each other, keep our distance and, importantly, maintain some perspective. What was important yesterday may not be so important today. If we remember that then they will be a tomorrow for all of us.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I really don't care how well or bad it has been handled in China. You're talking about about a whole new way of life here BT & it ain't going to be for the better.

I've tried hard to not post on this thread because 99% of you will disagree with what i'll have to say & to be honest i don't care about that because i don't formulate my opinions to be popular. Just felt whats the point in wasting my time & loads of people will respond negatively & i don't want to debate everyone.

I stand by my first post on this thread. The hysteria & the potential outcomes is on another scale to this virus. Peoples fear which is perpetuated by the media is stopping people from thinking about things rationally. There was a post on here that said something like 'if players got the virus then it could ruin their career because the virus will reduce their lung capacity by 20-30%'. Now come on!. We know if you're a smoker & you give up the darts you can get most of your lung capacity back.

I'm not saying this thing is harmless & go about your day as you would have before. Yep its a problem & we do need to implement measures to protect the vulnerable but talk of 'look how well China is doing' is insanity.

Before people come on & say i have no idea what i'm talking about i will disclose what i do for a living. To everyones surprise i work in the medical research industry & i work in the very building where VIDRIL is working on a vaccine for this. I'm not an expert but I know more than the average person.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Thats crazy!

Your talking about government coming to apartment buildings & welding doors shut to keep people in isolation. Your talking about government coming to your house to take your temperature & if elevated dragging you out kicking & screaming. Your talking about medical martial law here! Government would be salivating at that type of power. This is way worse than the virus, this is the shit i was afraid of from day dot.

'Those who would give up liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' Benjamin Franklin
    ok, let me clarify - of course I don't mean the measures you say in your opening sentance, I mean the shut down the Chinese did.

Weeks ago, maybe we should have shut down borders, so no travel in and out - not just from China, but especially from the USA. Those returning go straight to quarantine for monitored self isolation (same as Singapore), plus No restaurants, no theatre no shops open except Pharmacies and Supermarkets, no schools, no public transport, no beaches, no gatherings of more than 10 people.

What we have done is a piece by piece solution with all of the above about to happen next week. In the meantime we have shot up to over 1000 infected people and god only knows how many more.

Just in the last few days, we have crowded beaches, we have cruise ships where people are wondering around and all of the above still operating. No wonder the virus spreads.

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are bottle shops essential services? Asking for a friend.

12. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone interested, the Flu vaccines are available, and may help a bit. Worth getting. I booked into Priceline, but Chemist Warehouse also providing a service, otherwise see your doctor.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL
    We’re clinging on to footy, and bravo to AFL for doing everything possible to get it started, but it now looks inevitable we’re going to have to let it go. Murmurs now these 3 games today the last we’ll get for a while. @7NewsMelbourne

11:55 AM - Mar 22, 2020 ยท Melbourne, Victoria

Post Thanks / Like

SA is shutting down the borders from Monday I think. Other states will follow so I agree with Stevo that this might be the last round for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

My worry has always been what we are starting to hear now. I saw it on the news 2 days ago where they basically applauded the Chinese government for their Orwellian measures. Then talking about possibly passing new legislation! By the time this saga is all said & done, which is long time from now, a lot of people are going to be begging for this. Once legislation is past & the government has unprecedented power then they will never relinquish it, only add to it down the line. Think of the boiling frog fable here.

Forget about the numbers BAD. We're talking about a virus where alot of people are asymptomatic & won't be getting tested so mortality rate is not accurate & i hope people are not terrified because of this. Also what does infected mean? Are these people very sick? Are people being tested because they have a family member positive & these people test positive but are asymptomatic? We need a break down in statistics because you automatically think thats 1000 in hospital because they are sick.

Reality is once its in its in. They knew how infectious this thing was when information started filtering through from Wuhan & the powers that be have all the experts at their disposal. I'm just a shitkicker in this industry but even i can figure it out that if you do nothing with something as infectious as Corona & then throw in air travel, its going to spread like wildfire. So stopping it a few weeks ago is already too late imo. The government has been stupid/naive/obtuse/incompetent or whatever word you want to choose that fits your opinion.

17. Likes bornadog, Remi Moses, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Were an Island and better positioned than say Europe. We needed to get onto the front foot as soon as the Wuhan thing started to escalate over there. Close down and monitor all incoming travel.
    But we waited and see and the horse has bolted.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

19. Likes bornadog, anfo27 liked this post