Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

I have been following this since day one via the ABC mainly. Excellent updates. Agree with Jee & DR. The health aspect is the important part in all this. Full stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Fremantle player being tested for potential Coronavirus infection.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p548ez.html

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t see anyway that the season starts on time with full crowds. Panic has set in. Schools are being closed. Strap yourself in. This is going to get a lot worse before it improves.

“Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I can’t see anyway that the season starts on time with full crowds. Panic has set in. Schools are being closed. Strap yourself in. This is going to get a lot worse before it improves.

“Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is.”
    So this is the reason our membership numbers are down. Our loyal members are holding off because of the fear around Coronavirus and attending games.

Also explains the team on the weekend practising their 'social distancing' with their opponents. Smart hygiene being practised by our guys.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

A Freo player is being tested for coronavirus.

Read here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

People need to keep things in perspective & not get hysterical. Like others have said do your own research & don't rely on the front page of the Herald Sun to keep you informed. I'm not sure the ABC is a great source either when people are questioning the information coming from our politicians & the ABC is funded by the same people. Agree we the public are kept in the dark about the full story but that goes with most things these days anyway.
    The hysteria out there its like this virus is like a zombie virus & everyone that gets it is toast. Reality is its a mild version of the flu & if you're not immunocompromised then you have no reason to panic.
    I'm not worried about the virus itself but rather what comes with it. If it effects the football season particularly our games i'll be devastated.

7. Thanks FrediKanoute thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Reality is its a mild version of the flu & if you're not immunocompromised then you have no reason to panic.
    Sorry you are wrong, possibly dead wrong.

Check out some simple facts about this, such as 80% are mild cases.

So that leaves 20%. Those poor folk need some kind of hospital medical care and treatment, which for many means ICU type treatment and/or respirators.

That's why we saw the dreadful scenes inside the over loaded hospitals of Wuhan, and now being seen in hospitals in northern Italy.

And coming our way soon.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Read here
    So friend from China was never actually tested. Could be an asymptomatic case and maybe even a super spreader.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

So that leaves 20%. Those poor folk need some kind of hospital medical care and treatment, which for many means ICU type treatment and/or respirators.

That's why we saw the dreadful scenes inside the over loaded hospitals of Wuhan, and now being seen in hospitals in northern Italy.

And coming our way soon.
    Dr John Campbell in the UK is the man for good updates and info.

Monday update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZBuHFzYlw

YouTube channel page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

And coming our way soon.
    OK, 80% are mild......the overwhelming majority of cases are mild. Yes there are a significant minority of cases (20%) that are serious where the symptoms progress to acute and threaten life and well-being. There are a minority of the 20% who die.

That's no reason to panic. It is largely not too dissimilar to flu in terms of its mortality rate. Its similar to flu in that the most vulnerable are the elderly, the already ill and younger children. If there is a difference it is the infection rate. It appears to be more infectious than the flu and is hitting Northern Hemisphere largely because we are all still in the grips of winter - cold weather tends to spread germs and flu diereses quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to suggest that these are better sources:

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...assing-100-000

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd

So taking the last link - 109k cases; 3,809 deaths = 3.5%mortality rate, but this probably overplays somewhat as there will be significantly more undiagnosed cases than there are undiagnosed deaths so the "denominator effect" will drive down the mortality percentage.

I'm not saying this is not serious, it is. But there is a hysteria being driven by the media that is completely disproportional to the risk this pandemic poses to the majority of the population.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Read here
    So they played Carlton last week and West Coast on the weekend. Carlton played Brisbane this week. Are they now going to test all of these teams ahead of round 1?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    OK, 80% are mild......the overwhelming majority of cases are mild. Yes there are a significant minority of cases (20%) that are serious where the symptoms progress to acute and threaten life and well-being. There are a minority of the 20% who die.
    You do realise that the 20% require hospital resources that no country has?

That's no reason to panic. It is largely not too dissimilar to flu in terms of its mortality rate.
    Wrong. Seasonal flu mortality rate is 0.1%. Covid 19 is least 10 to 20 twenty times that.

younger children. .
    Wrong. Curiously, they seem to be unaffected and/or have little symptoms.

If there is a difference it is the infection rate. It appears to be more infectious than the flu
    Correct. At least twice or three times as infectious.

is hitting Northern Hemisphere largely because we are all still in the grips of winter - cold weather tends to spread germs and flu diereses quicker.
    Maybe right, maybe wrong. There is no data that suggests that this a winter disease, but some believe that summer in the northern hemisphere will give some relief. There is some research that believes it does not like warmer temps.

That's the good news.

Bad news is that we downunder are heading towards winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to suggest that these are better sources:

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...assing-100-000

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd

So taking the last link - 109k cases; 3,809 deaths = 3.5%mortality rate, but this probably overplays somewhat as there will be significantly more undiagnosed cases than there are undiagnosed deaths so the "denominator effect" will drive down the mortality percentage.

I'm not saying this is not serious, it is. But there is a hysteria being driven by the media that is completely disproportional to the risk this pandemic poses to the majority of the population.
    No-one who knows anything about this trusts the WHO. Dodgy corrupt organisation in the pocket of China.

If you think this is hysterical, google what is happening in northern Italy and Iran.

And soon in the UK.

Post Thanks / Like

So they played Carlton last week and West Coast on the weekend. Carlton played Brisbane this week. Are they now going to test all of these teams ahead of round 1?
    Standard protocol is 14 days isolation.