Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Franklin vs Carey

Mark Robinson has an article today comparing Franklin and Carey. John Longmuir who played with Carey at his best and has coached Franklin can't split them

On paper Franklin has him covered but to be honest I think Carey was the better player mainly around his marking ability and that he really carried North for a good while.
    Carey played 272 games and kicked 727 goals
    Franklin has played 300 games so far and has kicked 944 goals

Who do you think was the better player and I'd appreciate it if you would explain why?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Franklin vs Carey

Looking forward to some fascinating discussion.

I'll say that Franklin is probably the better player, with the irony being that what is probably his greatest weakness (Marking) was Carey's greatest strength.

Beyond that, Lance Franklin is, physically, the prototype for the perfect footballer.

He has a combination of height, strength, skill, speed, agility and smarts that is unmatched among his peers and unlikely to be replicated in years to come.

Bit of sliding doors stuff here, imagine for a moment Carey and Longmire hadn't been sold by the Swans to North for the princely sum of $10,000. Sydney would have been a powerhouse through the 90s, probably don't recruit Tony Lockett (He probably would have ended up at Collingwood), and North may well have been in the wilderness and not won the 92 and 94 premierships. They would have been even worse financial trouble, probably merge with Fitzroy instead of Brisbane (That may have even happened earleir, also).

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Looking forward to some fascinating discussion.

I'll say that Franklin is probably the better player, with the irony being that what is probably his greatest weakness (Marking) was Carey's greatest strength.

Beyond that, Lance Franklin is, physically, the prototype for the perfect footballer.

He has a combination of height, strength, skill, speed, agility and smarts that is unmatched among his peers and unlikely to be replicated in years to come.

Bit of sliding doors stuff here, imagine for a moment Carey and Longmire hadn't been sold by the Swans to North for the princely sum of $10,000. Sydney would have been a powerhouse through the 90s, probably don't recruit Tony Lockett (He probably would have ended up at Collingwood), and North may well have been in the wilderness and not won the 92 and 94 premierships. They would have been even worse financial trouble, probably merge with Fitzroy instead of Brisbane (That may have even happened earleir, also).
    96 and 99?

Post Thanks / Like

As a pure footballer I rate Carey ahead.

He was so strong in the contest and stood up in critical moments.

it would have been rare for him to miss a clutch goal.

Franklin is the superior athlete and has thrived without ever being capable of the pack marking that epitomised Carey.

I think Clarkson devised a system to suit Franklin, but Longmire has got him playing more contested style footy.

While Franklin is a freakish kick and can kick a long goal, I think Carey has him covered with his reliability.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    96 and 99?
    Maybe there was another sliding door moment when North relocated to Perth?

7. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to judge this as Carey was more of aCHF, which is much harder to play than a pure FF.

Goal kicking Franklin wins hands down but marking Carey was a great cont Mark.

Overall I would rate Franklin the guy I would have in my team due to his athletic ability
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I say Kelvin Templeton?

And that it's close to heresy to say any different!!!!!!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Carey. Was a gun CHF and gun CHB when required - Could play multiple roles. Young captain. Carried North. Two time premiership player. Should've been 3 or 4. A main strategy was simply isolating the entire 50 just for Carey, which was a regularly winning strategy. Real shit bloke. Shit. Bloke.

Franklin. Some career discipline issues, including at least one strike, but seems well passed them. Has never really sorted out his goal kicking to the level you'd hope it would've got to. Marking not a huge strength, despite his size. Two time premiership player, should've been three and he 'would've if weren't for you meddling kid Bulldogs'. Great athlete. Does the freakish and makes it look easy. Kicked 100 in a season. Can't really play anywhere but forward, but plays it outstandingly well, so does he need to?

Points decision to Carey.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Can I say Kelvin Templeton?

And that it's close to heresy to say any different!!!!!!
    So in a choice between C and F you find the better option is neither.

Can't disagree with your choice. Surely the most under appreciated key forward EVER.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Can't really play anywhere but forward, but plays it outstandingly well, so does he need to?
    Do you think Buddy could play on a wing like Richo did late in his career? Similar size and athletic attributes. Richo almost won a Brownlow that year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Do you think Buddy could play on a wing like Richo did late in his career? Similar size and athletic attributes. Richo almost won a Brownlow that year.
    Would agree with this.

Buddy played mostly forward, but I feel his athletic attributes actually were always suited to the wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Yes, definitely.

Rcho moved to the wing to help develop young Tigers forwards though (Jack Riewoldt). I'm not sure that is required by Franklin at Sydney as he has to be the main man, with Reid fragile and Tom McCarton not a no 1 KPF.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yes, definitely.

Rcho moved to the wing to help develop young Tigers forwards though (Jack Riewoldt). I'm not sure that is required by Franklin at Sydney as he has to be the main man, with Reid fragile and Tom McCarton not a no 1 KPF.
    Maybe next season if Joe Daniher ends up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    So in a choice between C and F you find the better option is neither.

Can't disagree with your choice. Surely the most under appreciated key forward EVER.
    That is precisely what I did.

Royce Hart was my next answer, if you held my head down the dunney and threatened to pull the flusher unless I named a non bulldog player I would have said Royce Hart.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Buddy is an athletic freak of a footballer. On his day there’s probably no one quite like him. He’s quite literally unstoppable when he’s on. Aesthetically a joy to watch, you’d go to a game just to watch him a la Ablett Sr.
    However if you’re looking for consistent output and the ability to drag a team along with him then it’s Carey (I have no regard for Carey as a human being, but he’s one of the 10 best footballers I’ve ever seen play). It’s an almost impossible task but I feel like Carey takes it by a hair.