Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Franklin vs Carey

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Can I say Kelvin Templeton?

And that it's close to heresy to say any different!!!!!!
    You can but much like a politician answering a question with their own unrelated talking points, you’re not really addressing the question at hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Two different players, playing in 2 different era's despite the fact they missed each other by 5 years. In the 90's the emphasis was on structure - 2 key forwards, a stong spine etc. Carey and Longmire provided this for North. Carey was a 1 position player, but was a elite contested mark; elite shot for goal and a very accurate shot for goal. He was exactly what you wanted from you CHF and he delivered.

Franklin played in an era where versatility and mobility became more important. Teams stopped kicking to packs and possession football and running power became more important as teams sought to control possession. Franklin was ideal because he was a big bodied bloke with mobility of a small. It made him hard for traditional backs to match up on.

I think its hard to compare who was better. In some ways Franklin had it a little easier as his physique was ahead of where his direct opponents were. There were/are not many 6'10" players who can run, jump and move the way he does. With Carey, he was pitted against guys the same size as him - Jacovich, Grant - he was just better at marking and moving.

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    96 and 99?
    Yeah, them ones. Oops

Post Thanks / Like

I find this argument to be a little bit like the Cripps vs. Bontempelli argument. In theory and at a quick glance the players should be comparable but when you think about it a bit more it gets harder and harder to justify the comparison in itself.

Carey played in a different era and brought different things to the game that Franklin couldn't or just hasn't, and vice versa. What Carey can do in a pack, Franklin can't, what Franklin can do with a loose ball and with a bit of space Carey couldn't because he just didn't have the physical attributes to manage it.

Bont has played 26 more games than Cripps, but has kicked 68 more goals. He kicks the footy more, but handballs less, with both players almost hitting 70% disposal efficiency. Both players have three B&F's, two AAs, one has a premiership and a coaches player of the year award, the other doesn't have a premiership but has a players player of the year award. One has played solely midfield in a poor midfield generally, the other has played midfield and forward, with more quality midfield competition within his own team.

For some reason the latter two get compared as if they play the same roles for their teams, and it's silly. They don't, and they're players with different attributes anyway. Same goes for Franklin and Carey, albeit there's also a different era and literally a different game in which to compare them, so if it's silly trying to compare two players who shouldn't get judged as comparable in the same era, I can't see how you can compare two who are different and played in different eras.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes bornadog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carey for me.

When he emerged as a star at 20/21 years old - he completely turned his footy club around in a way I haven't seen before or since. Carey played with some good footballers, but nowhere near the talent that Buddy has played with at Hawthorn and Sydney - with Carey being the biggest individual influence on the team being able to win premierships.

Franklin is an amazing player - but his team mates at Hawthorn went on to win 2 more without him, and he hasn't been able to get another at Sydney (who had won it it 2012).

Carey was probably the best player I've seen (I'm talking probably 1989-2020 as my proper 'watching years') along with Ablett Snr and Lockett.

I have Franklin in the next tier with Ablett Jnr, Judd, Hird, Voss, Buckley, Grant, Martin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Carey for me.

When he emerged as a star at 20/21 years old - he completely turned his footy club around in a way I haven't seen before or since. Carey played with some good footballers, but nowhere near the talent that Buddy has played with at Hawthorn and Sydney - with Carey being the biggest individual influence on the team being able to win premierships.

Franklin is an amazing player - but his team mates at Hawthorn went on to win 2 more without him, and he hasn't been able to get another at Sydney (who had won it it 2012).

Carey was probably the best player I've seen (I'm talking probably 1989-2020 as my proper 'watching years') along with Ablett Snr and Lockett.

I have Franklin in the next tier with Ablett Jnr, Judd, Hird, Voss, Buckley, Grant, Martin.

That's why Carey was the better player. He virtually dragged North over the line to two premierships on his own back. When a game was there to be won, in those crunch moments that decided the contest I can only ever remember Carey being beaten once. We came from 40 points behind at 3/4 time one day at Marvel Stadium to hit the front and it basically came down to one marking contest in North's goalsquare at the 33 minute mark of the last quarter.

Wayne Carey and Matthew Croft waiting under the ball and most times you would have just given up and headed for the exit to beat the crowd. But this day Croft beat Carey in the vital contest.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite