Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL well-placed for any coronavirus shock: McLachlan

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...01-p545su.html

AFL well-placed for any coronavirus shock: McLachlan

The AFL has only "limited exposure" to the coronavirus and is well-placed to weather any economic shocks from the spread of the disease, according to AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan.

McLachlan suggested that, as a domestic game played within this country, the coronavirus posed fewer business risks for the AFL than sports that were more international.

His views follow fears that the Olympic Games in Tokyo – the quintessential international event – faces significant challenges, with a potential pandemic later this year, while the Australian stockmarket, like Wall Street, has taken a major hit in recent days.

But McLachlan said the AFL acted on the advice of the federal government to keep going about normal business.
    Advertisement

While he did not address the possibility of games being affected, the AFL's understanding, based on government advice, is that there is only a very low risk of games being cancelled or planned without spectators, as has happened with soccer games in Italy's north, where the virus has been more widespread.

"We take advice from the federal government, the relevant organisations," he told The Age. "At the moment, the advice is, as recently as yesterday from our prime minister, is to keep going about our business. You obviously look at what's going on.

"Right now, I can't wait to get to the football tonight," said McLachlan, who was speaking late on Friday before the bushfire appeal game. "And you know we can only deal with where we are at the moment. We take the advice of those in charge.

"Exposure for us is limited. Things may change. Because we're a domestic game and, at the moment, the coronavirus has implications for those with supply chain or international links and that's not where we're at.

"So as we sit here today, without looking too far into the future, our economic exposure is limited. We look to the federal government and the relevant interested bodies for advice and, you know, until that changes, that's where we're at."

The panic gripping much of the world about the virus did not deter more than 51,000 fans from attending the state of origin game between Victoria and the All-Stars team on Friday night. The AFL's major corporate partners – NAB, Toyota, Virgin, Coca-Cola, Telstra, Coles, Marsh and BHP – are secure on largely long-term deals, although there are some clubs with small sponsorship exposure to China.

The St Kilda-Port Adelaide game, scheduled to be played in Shanghai, China, in late May is under threat, however, and is most likely to be relocated back to Melbourne.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 02-03-2020 at 02:18 AM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL well-placed for any coronavirus shock: McLachlan

Dry Rot called out in another thread that things will get serious. I've taken the opportunity to start supplying my family members with information about the virus to ensure those who are older can be as well looked after as possible.

The AFL doesn't know shit. If the virus hits Australia hard it won't be able to take a line that protects its commercial interests. There is a pandemic on our hands.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes 1eyedog, Eastdog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The St Kilda-Port Adelaide game, scheduled to be played in Shanghai, China, in late May is under threat, however, and is most likely to be relocated back to Melbourne.
    Isn't that a Port home game? I know that St Kilda get all the filthy lucre but I thought that half the problem with playing a game in China was finding a club that was virtually willing to not only give up a home game but also give up home team status (worse rooms, worse facilities etc.) to St Kilda. If that's the case (and I am probably wrong but it's a great talking point) then does that mean Port will be playing their home game in Melbourne?

The feral Port supporters will love that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder what the contingency is if there are 500 Victorians affected by the start of the season. Milan and Venice are basically empty, Japanese Sumo matches played out in empty stadiums and the Louvre had a mass walk out of staff refusing to work over the weekend.

Will be interesting.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't this thread be merged with: https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...-be-called-off
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be merged with: https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...-be-called-off
    Yep agree BAD. One of the mods can merge it into that thread.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Isn't that a Port home game? I know that St Kilda get all the filthy lucre but I thought that half the problem with playing a game in China was finding a club that was virtually willing to not only give up a home game but also give up home team status (worse rooms, worse facilities etc.) to St Kilda. If that's the case (and I am probably wrong but it's a great talking point) then does that mean Port will be playing their home game in Melbourne?

The feral Port supporters will love that.
    St Kilda home game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    St Kilda home game.
    Are you 100% certain on that? I am sure I read somewhere before the first game they played over there that the reason Port got the slot is because they were prepared to give up a home game.

I remember because at the time I wouldn't have minded us taking the slot but then I found out about the dodgy home game deal and lost interest.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you 100% certain on that? I am sure I read somewhere before the first game they played over there that the reason Port got the slot is because they were prepared to give up a home game.

I remember because at the time I wouldn't have minded us taking the slot but then I found out about the dodgy home game deal and lost interest.
    see here Axeman is correct
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If you swap the club names in your previous post you are bang on.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right