Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood backs Schache

link

Former skipper Easton Wood says he’s excited about what emerging key forward Josh Schache can produce in 2020.

As the Bulldogs weigh-up a three-pronged tall forward set-up this season, much of the attention has centred around fellow young gun Aaron Naughton as he has managed a pair of knee injuries, and off-season recruit Josh Bruce.

But Wood believes Schache has been building strongly and is confident he’s ready to take the next step

“Josh just keeps improving, which has been great,” Wood told 3AW Sports Day.

“I think he’s taken another step over this pre-season, and I’m excited to see what he can do.

“He’s obviously a beautiful set shot in front of goal, so he really makes the most of his opportunities.

“But what we’ve seen the real growth in has been his ability to make that contest and either mark it or bring it to ground.”

The 22-year-old showed plenty of promise last season, slotting 24 goals from his 14 AFL games, including match-defining performance against Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

Wood believes a stable club environment and the ‘organic growth’ of players such as Schache can help the Bulldogs as they seek to better their 2019 campaign.

“(There’s been) organic growth within our team - we’ve got a young team - but I feel like guys are really coming into their best football,” Wood said.

“It’s really exciting, what’s ahead.

“We feel like the midfield can go to another level and we’ve seen some great growth particularly in the forward line over the back half of last year."

“But we still need to get into the season and put it all together, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wood backs Schache

I just listened to the 3AW interview this was taken from. McClure didn't think the Bulldogs had the marking power in the forwardline - Wood had to correct him and remind him of Naughton's contested marking.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I just listened to the 3AW interview this was taken from. McClure didn't think the Bulldogs had the marking power in the forwardline - Wood had to correct him and remind him of Naughton's contested marking.
    Geez.

Does he reckon Griffen, Boyd or Cooney can go to the next level in the midfield? What about the recruitment of Hudson in the ruck? Is Eade on the hot seat if we don't contend this year?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

We only have two of the top 5 contested marks in the 2019 H&A season...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    You'd expect if it was your full time job you'd do a little research before interviewing a senior player at a football club.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd expect if it was your full time job you'd do a little research before interviewing a senior player at a football club.
    That's why I don't consume much footy media anymore. So many seem ignorant, happily. Layer that in the Tom Boyd hate, the same type of attitude to Schache etc. Then guys like Whately who use their platform to endorse Toby Greene and 'to never stop being Toby'. Or collecting Bulldogs player's teeth or eyes.

I don't mind our club or players being criticised, it's absolutely fair game. But based on facts, FFS please... I've had a gut full of ignorant BS in the media landscape where good footy journalism used to be. As you say, these 'professionals' in the media and in TV commentary are ignorant and some cases sprout plainly dumb things and their bosses/producers don't seem to care that they're incompetent. So since there's no standards and there's no need to do basic journalistic things to a competent level.

That GVGjr is why we can never ever close down woof. We can debate different angles, but for the most part we use facts and insight to elevate conversations about our footy club.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Mofra, bornadog, josie, dadsgirl16, Twodogs, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a big part of the problem with the AFL media landscape.

Not good
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching too much Bojack Horseman because I felt like this article should have been called Wood Backy Schache in Attacky.

11. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I've been watching too much Bojack Horseman because I felt like this article should have been called Wood Backy Schache in Attacky.
    I’m guessing there’s a reason you didn’t say Woody ;-)
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Geez.

Does he reckon Griffen, Boyd or Cooney can go to the next level in the midfield? What about the recruitment of Hudson in the ruck? Is Eade on the hot seat if we don't contend this year?
    Not to mention completely ignoring the hype around Andrejs Everitt's debut.

As long as gimps like McClure remain employed the AFL meeja's little more than a sheltered workshop.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Not to mention completely ignoring the hype around Andrejs Everitt's debut.

As long as gimps like McClure remain employed the AFL meeja's little more than a sheltered workshop.
    In Gerard Healy's defence, he backed up Wood. A few make an effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This is typical of media over the years where we are consistently under rated. Lots of players over the years have not received the accolades they deserve because of Morons like this who are focused on only a few teams.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Was this Mark or Sam McClure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Was this Mark or Sam McClure?
    Sam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sam.
    I would expect better from Sam, Mark would be lucky to know where he is half the time.