Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  52
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marsh Cup 2020 Game 2 - Port vs Bulldogs

I want us to win every game and yesterday was no different but I'm far from dissatisfied with our performance even though it was an inconsistent effort.

There were some positives including the way Josh Bruce performed shaking off any doubts about his fitness or injury.
    Tim English was another positive despite the injury to Lycett which meant he wasn't fully tested. Tim will be beaten from time to time in 2020 but he will also win us some games
    Based on yesterdays performance Bailey Williams will make the selectors work hard to drop him from the round one team. He took the game on and used the ball well. He's trained with the defensive players over summer and is in good form.
    Marcus Bontempelli was quiet by his standards but got through his 3rd game. Jack Macrae and Josh Dunkley are close to their best.
    Lachie Hunter got a lot of the ball, he was frustrating at times but he did get better in the 2nd half.
    Patrick Lipinski, Bailey Smith and Jason Johannisen all produced some good football. JJ was particularly damaging

It now comes down to the selectors getting it right for round one.
    The challenges for the MC include:
    Can they stick with Zaine Cordy given he is well below his best form?
    Will they play Lewis Young as a forward or given that he has basically trained with the defensive players over summer does he need to play there?
    Is Caleb Daniel the answer for us? Just seems off the boil
    I'm not convinced on Roarke Smith and Will Hayes as our options on the wing? Hayes might get a week for his sling tackle. Smith is a likely inclusion though
    Will it fall to Matthew Suckling to play on the opposite wing to Hunter as we have a crammed back line?
    Will the selectors look at Jackson Trengove as a match-up for Mason Cox? It's probably a long shot
    Can Toby McLean recapture some better form?

Games like this are about answering questions for the early part of the season so there were some positives identified and of course a few questions to be answered.

I'm convinced we will be in a good position for the early part of the season, the selectors just have to get it right
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I want us to win every game and yesterday was no different but I'm far from dissatisfied with our performance even though it was an inconsistent effort.

There were some positives including the way Josh Bruce performed shaking off any doubts about his fitness or injury.
    Tim English was another positive despite the injury to Lycett which meant he wasn't fully tested. Tim will be beaten from time to time in 2020 but he will also win us some games
    Based on yesterdays performance Bailey Williams will make the selectors work hard to drop him from the round one team. He took the game on and used the ball well. He's trained with the defensive players over summer and is in good form.
    Marcus Bontempelli was quiet by his standards but got through his 3rd game. Jack Macrae and Josh Dunkley are close to their best.
    Lachie Hunter got a lot of the ball, he was frustrating at times but he did get better in the 2nd half.
    Patrick Lipinski, Bailey Smith and Jason Johannisen all produced some good football. JJ was particularly damaging

It now comes down to the selectors getting it right for round one.
    The challenges for the MC include:
    Can they stick with Zaine Cordy given he is well below his best form?
    Will they play Lewis Young as a forward or given that he has basically trained with the defensive players over summer does he need to play there?
    Is Caleb Daniel the answer for us? Just seems off the boil
    I'm not convinced on Roarke Smith and Will Hayes as our options on the wing? Hayes might get a week for his sling tackle. Smith is a likely inclusion though
    Will it fall to Matthew Suckling to play on the opposite wing to Hunter as we have a crammed back line?
    Will the selectors look at Jackson Trengove as a match-up for Mason Cox? It's probably a long shot
    Can Toby McLean recapture some better form?

Games like this are about answering questions for the early part of the season so there were some positives identified and of course a few questions to be answered.

I'm convinced we will be in a good position for the early part of the season, the selectors just have to get it right
    Good Summary.

I also think the players are not quite at peak fitness as they are timed to be primed for round one. Also lots of experimenting in games like that, with not the same 22 playing the whole match, players having half games etc. However, you can get a glimpse of how we are going to play. The one disappointing thing was there was very little run and carry from the backline, and when we got to about 70 metres out, we bombed it in again looking for Bruce. I hope this is not how we are going to play, just because we have a big bloke.

When the real stuff starts, the intensity will be lifted and our application will be tested to see if we are going to bring effort into our game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce clunking everything in his first hitout in the red, white and blue was pretty enjoyable. After bringing in washed up key forwards since forever, it seems bizarre to have one in his prime.

Love the Juice!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Did I read it right that the 'over the line brawl' was caused by Bailey Smith taking on someone who had a go at Hunter? Flying the flag is Bailey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Good Summary.

The one disappointing thing was there was very little run and carry from the backline, and when we got to about 70 metres out, we bombed it in again looking for Bruce. I hope this is not how we are going to play, just because we have a big bloke.
    Could not agree more. It was evident early in the game that players up the field were not moving into position and those running off the backline had to kick to contests. Bruce made things look better than they really were.

Bruce, English and Williams were highlights when the going got tough. Need more concentration from the others when the going is easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Good Summary.

I also think the players are not quite at peak fitness as they are timed to be primed for round one. Also lots of experimenting in games like that, with not the same 22 playing the whole match, players having half games etc. However, you can get a glimpse of how we are going to play. The one disappointing thing was there was very little run and carry from the backline, and when we got to about 70 metres out, we bombed it in again looking for Bruce. I hope this is not how we are going to play, just because we have a big bloke.

When the real stuff starts, the intensity will be lifted and our application will be tested to see if we are going to bring effort into our game.
    Crozier didn't perform as well as he normally does and the same for Daniel but JJ was impressive. One of the problems is that Wood for the first half was quite poor as was Cordy. This meant we didn't have a lot of drive from the back line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Crozier didn't perform as well as he normally does and the same for Daniel but JJ was impressive. One of the problems is that Wood for the first half was quite poor as was Cordy. This meant we didn't have a lot of drive from the back line
    Good prior summary on the way I see it

Williams has had an excellent pre-season and is now in the 22

English showing good signs - growth in Bailey Smith, Lipinski etc

The wing has been interesting - I've tended to think Suckling - but we do need some others in that role and Hayes and Roarke have had their moments.

Getting the backline mix right is important - Crozier, Keath, JJ, and Williams had looked locks - Daniel still looks rusty but I'd back him in, and its crucial to get Cordy and Wood in form, or play Lewis Young in their spot - I thought Macrae was rusty also but I havent seen yesterdays game, nor the all star game, and he probably doesnt get too interested in pre-season games.

I'm excited about what we can build over the course of the season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Good prior summary on the way I see it

Williams has had an excellent pre-season and is now in the 22

English showing good signs - growth in Bailey Smith, Lipinski etc

The wing has been interesting - I've tended to think Suckling - but we do need some others in that role and Hayes and Roarke have had their moments.

Getting the backline mix right is important - Crozier, Keath, JJ, and Williams had looked locks - Daniel still looks rusty but I'd back him in, and its crucial to get Cordy and Wood in form, or play Lewis Young in their spot - I thought Macrae was rusty also but I havent seen yesterdays game, nor the all star game, and he probably doesnt get too interested in pre-season games.

I'm excited about what we can build over the course of the season
    We have a bit of time to sharpen up and Bevo look relaxed about things indicating to mw there was plenty left in the tank.

I share your excitement for the 2020. We should be expecting a solid season

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the game was a bit confusing, both form wise and in the desire stakes..

I loved the endeavour of the Baileys, Smith and Williams, although both have a tendency to take things one step to far. Only disposing of the ball when it is absolutely imperative to do so.

The Bont, cruised around, looking classy with everything he touches, but seemed to be a little restricted in the number of contests he either wanted to get to; or could get to.

McRae and JJ looked a little disinterested, and he had a few mates from what I could see.

We miss Libba's grunt in the engine room, and I still believe (like Tony) he is the catalyst/barometer of the team's performance.

Lippa, Lloydy, and Wallis didn't seem to have any consistent impact on the forward contest; and they appeared to lack the scouting ability to exploit the opportunities that Bruce/Schache/Naughton will bring their way.

Not sure about the backline, which didn't appear to work well defensively, and lacked the offensive drive we have become to expect. I thought Suckling was a liability for most of the day, although it was his first run.

Its not all doom and gloom. For example, Tim English. I don't think I have seen a safer pair of hands around the ground, since Garry Dempsey. And in the end we were just pipped at the post, in spite of our failings.

I must admit, like a lot of you, I am bewildered by the non selection when it comes to Trengove. I think he should be the lynchpin of our defense, but it looks like the selection committee isn't interested in giving him that opportunity.

Interesting days to come for 2020.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

10. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes josie, GVGjr, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm another Trengove believer. Genuine big body in defence. Probably best one on one big defender we have (I'm not counting Naughton) And is PROPER ruck back up for English. To me it's a no brainer???

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I'm another Trengove believer. Genuine big body in defence. Probably best one on one big defender we have (I'm not counting Naughton) And is PROPER ruck back up for English. To me it's a no brainer???
    I saw....
    Cordy, Keath, Young, Schache and Bruce....
    used in the ruck at times.

And in almost every instance the result was the momentum moving to the opposition. And it took a capable player from what they do best.

My guess is this is worth approximately 2 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I saw....
    Cordy, Keath, Young, Schache and Bruce....
    used in the ruck at times.

And in almost every instance the result was the momentum moving to the opposition. And it took a capable player from what they do best.

My guess is this is worth approximately 2 goals.
    Cordy and Keath rucked in the backline and left English in that 'get out kick' position which was an interesting tactic to try but I don't think it worked. I really hope we shelve that for the proper season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

I hope that we have Richards pencilled in for a role on the 'other' wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I hope that we have Richards pencilled in for a role on the 'other' wing.
    Id also like to see him in that role, but does he have the tank for it over 4 quarters?

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn’t watch the game live and honestly have only made it through 3 quarters of the replay until I stopped watching. Just lacklustre across the ground.

Port are going to be a good team this year IMO.

As for us, Bailey Williams has rocketed into the player I’m most excited about. I love him and his movement, composure and kicking were back to his 2018 form before he got injured.

Very interested to see how we line up over the year - there has to be 20 blokes competing the 12-14spots up for grabs.