Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Asking for a friend.

Can anyone tell me who is going to play on Dixon next time we play against Port? Because if the plan is to play Keath on him, well, I don't think I like that plan very much. We recruit an intercept defender, then make him play 1-v-1 on opposition bigs and get mid-sizers to play the intercept role? R-I-G-H-T!!! After watching the game on the weekend, I am more certain than ever that this whole thing is strange at best and completely flawed at worst. But the match committee seem completely cool with it from top to bottom.

While you are at it, if you could let me know who is going to play on Lynch, Brown, Kennedy, Cameron etc as well that would be absolutely awesome as I can't actually figure that out either.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asking for a friend.

Trengove I hope. Otherwise what was the point of giving him a 4 year contract as a mature experienced player?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Trengove I hope. Otherwise what was the point of giving him a 4 year contract as a mature experienced player?
    Yeah?

Well, my friend doesn't think that's the plan...he seems to think Trengove is only there as a 'break glass in case of emergency' option in the ruck. Maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Can anyone tell me who is going to play on Dixon next time we play against Port? Because if the plan is to play Keath on him, well, I don't think I like that plan very much. We recruit an intercept defender, then make him play 1-v-1 on opposition bigs and get mid-sizers to play the intercept role? R-I-G-H-T!!! After watching the game on the weekend, I am more certain than ever that this whole thing is strange at best and completely flawed at worst. But the match committee seem completely cool with it from top to bottom.

While you are at it, if you could let me know who is going to play on Lynch, Brown, Kennedy, Cameron etc as well that would be absolutely awesome as I can't actually figure that out either.
    Mentioned some similar during the trade period and questioned if it genuinely suited our needs.
    There is no question that Keath is a very good zoning and intercept defender with good kicking skills, Lewis Young has some claims in that intercepting area as well but he's not quite as adept yet as Keath. Wood zones off nicely and Crozier punches above his weigth in many of match-ups he is given.
    That leaves Cordy, who is out of form, and Trengove, who might be out of favor, to cover the opposition key forward unless we are prepared to move Naughton back. How do we cover his 32 goals from last year though if we pull that trigger?
    Bruce was supposed to come in and add to the mix of 3 key forwards well that is how it was advertised to us.

We are still a decent tall short from a list management perspective.
    Howard, who preferred the Saints, might have been a better recruit for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Mentioned some similar during the trade period and questioned if it genuinely suited our needs.
    I feel that I have been saying the same and in the game on Saturday the reality of the situation was jarring.

Maybe Keath will LEARN how to defend...but it seems like an unnecessary risk to be taking. I see Keath and Young (Le version) as basically the same player...now we have two of them and I'm not sure where either one fits.

Not even Bevo would move Naughton back at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah?

Well, my friend doesn't think that's the plan...he seems to think Trengove is only there as a 'break glass in case of emergency' option in the ruck. Maybe.
    Granted I haven't seen any of the pre-season but wouldn't Trengove be ideal for those gorilla key forwards? It allows Keath to play interceptor, our mid defenders to have more appropriate match-ups and we keep our forward fire power intact. And in case of an injury to English mid match, we have ruck cover as well.

What is the reason Trengove is so out of favour? If we were so keen to ship Roughy off for virtually nothing because we didn't think he was a key defender, surely it was because we brought in Trengove as this key defensive anchor for the big forwards.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing is I have been saying this for a very long time - Who plays the gorillas.

I can only say it has to be out of Lew Young and Trengove. Keath is more your old fashioned CHB, Cordy is for 3rd talls only. I don't want to see Wood on Buddy ever again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Funny thing is I have been saying this for a very long time - Who plays the gorillas.

I can only say it has to be out of Lew Young and Trengove. Keath is more your old fashioned CHB, Cordy is for 3rd talls only. I don't want to see Wood on Buddy ever again.
    You need to speak to Bevo, he is insistent that Wood plays as a 3rd KP defender. I don't think Wood v Franklin was the disaster you keep implying

I've been saying for years that we were light on for KP and ruckman and even after recruiting 2 KP players I still think we are light on

Post Thanks / Like

You need to speak to Bevo, he is insistent that Wood plays as a 3rd KP defender. I don't think Wood v Franklin was the disaster you keep implying

I've been saying for years that we were light on for KP and ruckman and even after recruiting 2 KP players I still think we are light on
    As you know it is difficult to recruit a good KP. The club have tried for years and finally we are getting somewhere. We probably have the best bunch we have had for as long as I can remember.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that I have been saying the same and in the game on Saturday the reality of the situation was jarring.

Maybe Keath will LEARN how to defend...but it seems like an unnecessary risk to be taking. I see Keath and Young (Le version) as basically the same player...now we have two of them and I'm not sure where either one fits.

Not even Bevo would move Naughton back at this point.
    Before we traded for both Keath and Bruce the general consensus was we had enough KP players and certainly ruck man which I think was a flawed approach. Even with adding 2 KP player I think we are light on and I agree Young is very similar to Keath so I suspect he will be moved forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As you know it is difficult to recruit a good KP. The club have tried for years and finally we are getting somewhere. We probably have the best bunch we have had for as long as I can remember.
    Is it, maybe is it is just for us to develop them? We have traded for Boyd, Schache, Keath and Bruce and acquired Trengove. We haven't done a lot of developing but I have high hopes for both Lewis and Lachlan Young
    We let go of Hamling and Adams and didn't go hard at covering them even with Collins not measuring up and we didn't replace Roughead who B-Mac was unfairly criticized for playing him as a key defender and yet he had a good season with Collingwood last year and played well in round one of the Marsh series.

On top of that some were even saying Naughton was too short for a KP player as well

I'm not sure it's that difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it, maybe is it is just for us to develop them? We have traded for Boyd, Schache, Keath and Bruce and acquired Trengove. We haven't done a lot of developing but I have high hopes for both Lewis and Lachlan Young
    We let go of Hamling and Adams and didn't go hard at covering them even with Collins not measuring up and we didn't replace Roughead who B-Mac was unfairly criticized for playing him as a key defender and yet he had a good season with Collingwood last year and played well in round one of the Marsh series.

On top of that some were even saying Naughton was too short for a KP player as well

I'm not sure it's that difficult.
    Sorry I cannot agree that La Young is a KP.

How many more would you like and should have recruited for this year?:

Current.

English, Timothy 205cm
    Sweet, Jordon R 203cm
    Schache, Josh 199cm
    Young, Lewis 197cm
    Trengove, Jackson 197cm
    Bruce, Josh 197cm
    Keath, Alex 197cm
    Gardner, Ryan R 197cm
    Naughton, Aaron 195cm
    Cordy, Zaine 193cm

Post Thanks / Like

I said before we were one decent KP defender light on, nothings changed on that front.
    So given those players why does Wood often play as D3?

Post Thanks / Like

If Naughty comes in and Schache plays vfl should he be tried at CHB?

Post Thanks / Like

I said before we were one decent KP defender light on, nothings changed on that front.
    So given those players why does Wood often play as D3?
    I really don't like it and can't answer the question.