Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Because he doesn't add enough as a small rebounding defender - so he has to player as our 3rd tall
    Exactly. If he is used as the 4th player we are way too static. He doesn't have the skill level of a Crozier, Suckling or Daniel or the pace of JJ. He plays on bigger players because most weeks that is the only spot available for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo doesn't seem too concerned about one on ones because he has mentioned more than once that they shouldn't occur.
    The problem with that is we can reduce them or mitigate them... but they do occur.

Trengove is well out of favour and I dare say it's due to the fact he doesn't rebound with any confidence, and this year we are setting up for all out attack. We will concede big scores this year and roll the dice on kicking bigger ones ourselves.

I do like the acquisition of Keath - I don't like him playing deep but I expect teams will do their best to drag him as deep as possible to take away from his intercept ability.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bevo doesn't seem too concerned about one on ones because he has mentioned more than once that they shouldn't occur.
    I absolutely love this.

It sounds like the scene in 'The Princess Bride' where Vizzini repeatedly says "Inconceivable" followed by Andre the Giant's character saying "That word - I don't think it means what you think it means"
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I absolutely love this.

It sounds like the scene in 'The Princess Bride' where Vizzini repeatedly says "Inconceivable" followed by Andre the Giant's character saying "That word - I don't think it means what you think it means"
    The question is one of balance. Any 'drive' we get from defence needs to be balanced with our defenders - and this may sound radical - actually defending their opponent.

Trengove had quite a high % of one on ones nullified last year, close to the better defenders in the competition. If Cordy kept Tom Lynch goalless we'd be doing cartwheels, and Trengove did exactly that. Unfortunately the VFLK-watchers indicate Trengove didn't have a great game last weekend and given we picked Young over Trengove at the tail end of last year and he didn't appear in the Marsh series Trengove just isn't in our plans. Qute strange considering we chased him as a FA at $400K pa.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The question is one of balance. Any 'drive' we get from defence needs to be balanced with our defenders - and this may sound radical - actually defending their opponent.

Trengove had quite a high % of one on ones nullified last year, close to the better defenders in the competition. If Cordy kept Tom Lynch goalless we'd be doing cartwheels, and Trengove did exactly that. Unfortunately the VFLK-watchers indicate Trengove didn't have a great game last weekend and given we picked Young over Trengove at the tail end of last year and he didn't appear in the Marsh series Trengove just isn't in our plans. Qute strange considering we chased him as a FA at $400K pa.
    Ja

Remember Gia mentioning after a 2018 pre-season game that they saw him playing a 2nd ruck / forward role. Then he played full forward in Round 1 vs GWS in Canberra and his game mirrored that of the rest of the squad.

Plan abandoned pretty soon after - but I, like plenty here, reckon he's been *more* than solid down back, and in a highly contested finals type game, his competitiveness in the air and at ground level would/could be crucial

Seems unlikely of course.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Rance was able to play the way he did because Astbury played the lock down role.. who is our Astbury?
    That was my point.

Astbury is no star, he made Rance's life easier and Rance made his life easier. Our system at the moment doesn't support that.