Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alastair clarkson pitches huge rule change to make the game better

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    There is more room for the forwards to work in. It makes it harder for the opposition to clog up space.

And don't forget that I have actually seen 16 v 16 played so I'm not just guessing. Have a look at the VFA scoring patterns and the goalkicking totals for individual players from VFA footy in the '70s and '80s..
    In the 70s there was no interchange bench. Just a 19th and 20th man who once brought on, stayed on. Without the rest breaks now available, the modern zoning game wasn’t possible. I’m not advocating a return to this and it has zero chance of happening. But if the aim is to increase scoring, this would do it. The onset of fatigue is the reason why scoring increases towards the end of the game even today.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't see how scoring against sixteen is easier with only sixteen, because you have to run each way to score. If the attacking team still had eighteen then sure, it would be easier.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, find a way to incentivise coaches to score more and the coaches will do it. Coaches are inherently defencive, change it to sixteen a side and they'll just find a way to clog space up with sixteen players. Fatigue players, the coaches will just make sure players use their energy defending. Over time players who can cover space repeatedly will be prioritised more so at the draft than those who are natural footballers.

I agree holding the ball should be called more quickly, boundary and field umpires should also get the ball in the air and into play more quickly. But none of these will materially impact games enough to increase scoring.
    Calculate percentage only using points for. That’ll do it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest scourge on the modern game is prior opportunity. It is the one rule that exacerbates all the other problems with the game today. It slows the game, it causes congestion and repeat stoppages, it allows teams to set up sophisticated defensive zone structures which lowers scoring, it drastically slows ball movement, and it also makes umpiring so much more difficult by forcing them to interpret whether or not there is prior opportunity and also because there are too many bodies around the ball making it harder to spot free kick infringements.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

What about reducing player fitness? Rather than tinkering with the rules, reduce the ability for most players to do the gut running to clog the space. No pre-season training prior to 1 Jan so players get a full 3 - 4 months off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Calculate percentage only using points for. That’ll do it.
    Mate this is a really good example of what I'm talking about, and previously I've referred to hurdle rates being achieved for higher points earned.

I'd like to say we've raised you well HD, but the time well and truly passed for that sort of patronisation some time ago. You're literally one of our best posters.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate this is a really good example of what I'm talking about, and previously I've referred to hurdle rates being achieved for higher points earned.

I'd like to say we've raised you well HD, but the time well and truly passed for that sort of patronisation some time ago. You're literally one of our best posters.
    He has been for a long time in my opinion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Problem is the guy on top of the ball isn’t the one holding it in most of the time, if you look at most players on the ground it’s the opposition on top holding it under him. They actually push it back under him and then jump on him and he can’t get it out.
    That of course is one of the issues, but the guy on his feet can just hang onto the ball until the ball up is called.

Make everyone at least try to dispose of it and give the leeway to the guy who makes an effort not the guy who just holds it in.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

My radical suggestion is to limit the tacklers.

1st tackler, tackled player required to dispose of ball and free kick if unable/unwilling to do so. Prior opportunity would mean the ball can be dropped/knocked out in tackle without penalty, but unless tackle is instantaneous it needs a legal disposal.

2nd tackler becomes illegal and free kick paid to ball carrier.

This would keep the ball moving, but would reward a great tackle.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've been saying what I've been saying until I'm blue in the face so it serves you right.
    Have you learned your lesson yet because I've gone well past just being blue in the face over here!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite