Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

English developing as dual threat

link

Emerging ruckman Tim English could spend more time forward in 2020, and developing his forward craft accordingly.

The 22-year-old booted eight goals from 20 games last year, and hopes being able to play as a tall forward will add another element to his on-field impact.

“To be able to play that dual-position is something I see as an important aspect of my game,” English told SEN 1116.

“It can be the difference between being really effective as a ruckman and being that sort of one-dimensional ruck-based player.

“If I’m able to add that forward craft to my game, then I think it will be really beneficial not only this year, but for my development going forward.”

Senior coach Luke Beveridge believes English can be a threat around goal, when the time comes for the likes of Josh Bruce, Josh Schache and Lewis Young to provide ruck support.

“Tim won’t always play in the ruck – he’s going to create some nervous moments for opposition defences when he is forward, and our challenge is to best utilise his abilities,” Beveridge said.

“He probably should’ve ended up with three goals in Whyalla, and was an important staple in that ruck area throughout the course of the day too.

“He’s showing those signs that he’s maturing all the time – it doesn’t matter which recognised ruckman he is (against) from a hit-out and stoppage point of view, Tim’s going to be that player, but more than that, we need to take advantage of his abilities.”

The Bulldogs lost their final pre-season hit-out to Port Adelaide on the weekend, which English believes might not be such a bad thing heading into the season.

Josh Bruce kicked four goals in his first match in the red, white and blue, however it was Port Adelaide that prevailed over the Western Bulldogs by 10-points in the Marsh Community Series match in Whyalla.

“I think it puts a few things into perspective – it probably gives us a little reminder that we always need to be on for the whole length of the game and in every different area,” he said.

“Being able to have a hit-out like that, and have it be a pretty close game is another massive thing because those close games can obviously be the difference between making the top eight (and not).

“If you can get on the good side of them then they can be really important throughout the season - to be able to get a test run in a situation like that is a really good thing for the group.”

The Western Bulldogs will open their 2020 campaign with a blockbuster clash against Collingwood on Friday 20 March at Marvel Stadium.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English developing as dual threat

Bruce, Naughton, Schache, Dale... I don't expect too much of Timmy there TBH.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: English developing as dual threat

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bruce, Naughton, Schache, Dale... I don't expect too much of Timmy there TBH.
    I think it means when he is a resting forward he wants to make sure he kicks goals and is effective for the team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.