Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 7 ACLs this pre-season so far!

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    That is awful!!!

It's about time they got rid of the NAB cup (9 Pointers what a joke!) and the many pre-season matches before it. There is nothing wrong with a couple of pre-season matches and then getting stuck into the regular season.

Although less money for the AFL I guess.
    I'm a big fan of the regional challenge, the whole "if the people can't get to the game..." aspect of it. I could live without the NAB Cup but the idea of taking the game around the country during the pre-season appeals to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Did he give a reason?
    His reason is the AFL wish it to be true.

Expect him to repeat the same answer over and over again until people stop asking the question.

Then it will become 'fact'.

Post Thanks / Like

DR..I have amended your thread title to read to 8.

Unfortunately, this evening it was confirmed that Beau Muston (Hawthorn) will require a full ACL reconstruction - poor kid it happened on his 21st birthday aswell. He has had a lot of bad luck with knee injuries in his extremely short career.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 8 ACLs this pre-season so far!

I got told early in the season he got drafted that we were seriously interested in him - in fact we rated him no. 1 that draft early on. That was before he did his knee the first time.

The day he did his knee was v the Jets. He had 38 touches up until 3/4 time and I remember mjp raving about this kid.

Shame but I very much doubt he'll get over a third reco on the same knee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Shame but I very much doubt he'll get over a third reco on the same knee.
    Odds aren't good for him - the only thing he has on side is that he is so young, I wonder if the Hawks will delist him season end, not sure if he signed a new contract recently. This would be such a bitter pill for him to swallow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    Odds aren't good for him - the only thing he has on side is that he is so young, I wonder if the Hawks will delist him season end, not sure if he signed a new contract recently. This would be such a bitter pill for him to swallow.
    And the worst thing is he'll be remembered as a number 6 draft pick that never played a game should that eventuate.

Shame too because I think he's a better talent than Xav Ellis.

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible blow for a guy who looks like he makes every post a winner in terms of preparing himself

I hope that Hawthorn dont delist him, it would be a horrible thing to do the guy

Post Thanks / Like

Would you be prepared to give him another chance if he was on our list?

I'm not convinced I would, given his terrible run with injuries. Perhaps his body just can't stand up to the rigors of AFL. Is he eligible for the rookie list?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Would you be prepared to give him another chance if he was on our list?

I'm not convinced I would, given his terrible run with injuries. Perhaps his body just can't stand up to the rigors of AFL. Is he eligible for the rookie list?
    After getting burnt by Walsh you would be a bit gunshy. He is eligible for the rookie list but I just can't see his knee ever standing up to league footy.

Post Thanks / Like

I really dont know whether I would persist or not, its hard not knowing his exact medical issues.

I would want to guage what type of impact him being cut might have on the player group AND I guess as coach I would feel a fair bit of responsibility and empathy for Muston. I would definitely find it hard if I had to cut him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    And the worst thing is he'll be remembered as a number 6 draft pick that never played a game should that eventuate.

Shame too because I think he's a better talent than Xav Ellis.
    He was picked using selection 22 in the 05 draft, Hawthorn's 5th pick of that particular draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He was picked using selection 22 in the 05 draft, Hawthorn's 5th pick of that particular draft.
    My mistake, confusing him with Beau Dowler.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the old fashioned knee reco back in 1997, using the patella (knee cap) tendon as the replacement graft for the ACL. The problem with using a tendon from your knee cap is that it destabilises the patella by taking away 1 of the 3 tendons keeping it in place. End result - excessive scar tissue build up, and the VMO muscle (the ball-shaped muscle just above the knee and towards the inner leg) completely wastes away. Unless you are 100% dedicated to rehab, the VMO will always be smaller in the reconstructed leg making impact (running, jarring) more painful on the reconstructed knee. There's also less flexibility and mobility in the reconstructed knee leg compared to the other leg, especially in straightening the leg. You're also more susceptible to torn meniscus (cartlidge) around the knee, which can never be replaced once it's torn. Then comes the lovely feeling of bone-on-bone and the onset of premature arthritis in the joint.

My patella tendon graft has not torn since I had the op 11 years but it has thinned out slightly - bear in mind that surgeons have only been performing knee reconstructive surgery for 30 years so there is still some uncertainty as to the long-term ramifications following the surgery. These days knee reconstructive surgery is primarily done using the hamstring tendon, which places much less trauma around the knee area than a patella tendon graft would.

This carbon fibre technology sounds very exciting - it will take away the trauma of removing other parts of the body to replace the torn ACL and it will also result in less opportunity for the muscles around the joint to waste away due to speed of recovery. I only wish it was around 11 years ago. I wish Malceski well in his recovery and hope the op is a long-term success.

katemeehan Guest

Wow thats interesting, I never actually knew what they did with the recos. Reading/talking about knees actually makes me feel sick. Dislocated one once, and ever since I feel sick talking about them.
    Weird...