Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

View Poll Results: When will round 1 be played?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Next week (from Thursday 19th March)

7 33.33%
  • After Easter

2 9.52%
  • Some time in May

2 9.52%
  • No games - see you next year!

10 47.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When will the game’s actually start??

I am not convinced we will be watching any footy next weekend. What does everyone else think??
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When will the game’s actually start??

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I am not convinced we will be watching any footy next weekend. What does everyone else think??
    Reckon they'll pull the pin this week.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, it all starts next week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they want to get games in before players are diagnosed and they have to pull the pin. It’s all dependent on when players are diagnosed, but I think there’s definite concern about the financial effect on clubs if the season is postponed.

Post Thanks / Like

They have until the first player gets it. At the current rate of infection I don't see them making it to Thursday.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

And coaching and match day staff....and their family and friends and work associates they come into contact with.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Reckon they'll pull the pin this week.
    I'm leaning towards that as well. I reckon a strong chance it will be postponed.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

If reports are to be believed, the peak of it will be August.

Think the season is done and the AFL has grave concerns for clubs and their financial viability.

Post Thanks / Like

This could be the financial ruin of a number of clubs. The future is bleak to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m expecting the AFL to pull the plug at a press conference come Monday/Tuesday
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

If the season is delayed or called off wonder how players will react?

They will have their base payments, but won’t get match payments or have the opportunity to meet contract triggers for new deals or financial incentives.

What happens to fringe players coming out of contract at years end? Will the AFL enforce the minimum three list changes per year?
    Certainly an interesting time.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    If the season is delayed or called off wonder how players will react?

They will have their base payments, but won’t get match payments or have the opportunity to meet contract triggers for new deals or financial incentives.

What happens to fringe players coming out of contract at years end? Will the AFL enforce the minimum three list changes per year?
    Certainly an interesting time.
    If it all gets scratched out the hardest done by will be the players entering into their likely last season (the Tory Dickson types) and the poor buggers who have been on a list without a game to their name or have finally got their break and had this year to prove themselves.

There’s a few blokes sitting at home with ACL’s and the like that are likely less devastated than they were.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    If it all gets scratched out the hardest done by will be the players entering into their likely last season (the Tory Dickson types) and the poor buggers who have been on a list without a game to their name or have finally got their break and had this year to prove themselves.

There’s a few blokes sitting at home with ACL’s and the like that are likely less devastated than they were.
    And draftees like Bailey Smith in particular, or maybe Weightman:

"For instance, players taken in the top 20 picks this November will be on a base salary of $95,000 in 2019. They’ll also receive $4000 per senior match and bonuses for reaching certain game milestones (ie. they’ll earn a $12,000 bonus if they play over 15 games).

Those figures, under the CBA, will increase for their second year in 2020, with the base salary jumping to anywhere between $100,000 and $130,000, depending on the amount of games the players have played in their first season in 2019. (The full player payment breakdown can be viewed in the CBA on the AFL Players’ Association’s website.)"

15. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if the games don't go ahead, the AFL will lose even more money due to the TV rights.

The AFL just has to dip into their future fund ($120 million) and prop up the clubs.

However, the bullshit Gill is talking about like changing the length of the game etc is just an excuse to put through his changes. That better not happen.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    And draftees like Bailey Smith in particular, or maybe Weightman:

"For instance, players taken in the top 20 picks this November will be on a base salary of $95,000 in 2019. They’ll also receive $4000 per senior match and bonuses for reaching certain game milestones (ie. they’ll earn a $12,000 bonus if they play over 15 games).

Those figures, under the CBA, will increase for their second year in 2020, with the base salary jumping to anywhere between $100,000 and $130,000, depending on the amount of games the players have played in their first season in 2019. (The full player payment breakdown can be viewed in the CBA on the AFL Players’ Association’s website.)"
    I hadn’t even considered the monetary side of things, just the likelihood that for the players in the categories I mentioned it will likely rob them of their last chance (or only chance) to prove themselves.

The ‘good’ news on the part you covered, is that will be one area where clubs will save a little bit of money.