Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sound of Silence

It may end up being a moot point (if the season gets scratched) but how do you all see playing to an empty stadia impacting players, games and the whole viewing experience?

I am interested to see the impact on goal kicking accuracy and overall skills. The mental side of the game is arguably one of the biggest hurdles (especially in inexperienced players) and crowd sounds certainly play a part in that.

I predict that WC and Adelaide enjoy probably the biggest advantage from crowd sound both in terms of motivating players, putting off opposition, and influencing umpires (something that has ground my gears for years). The free-kick differential in the West over a long time, in particular, is outrageous.
    The traditional big clubs certainly get this against lower drawing clubs too. We may see home ground advantage diluted quite a bit.

From a viewing point of view, the predominantly commentator and whistle only noises may just make me finally turn the sound off completely. There may be an opportunity to pick up more player direction and banter, which could be an interesting insight.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 15-03-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sound of Silence

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    It may end up being a moot point (if the season gets scratched) but how do see playing to an empty stadia impacting players, games and the whole viewing experience?

I am interested to see the impact on accuracy and overall skills. The mental side of the game is arguably one of the biggest hurdles (especially in inexperienced players) and crowd sounds certainly plays its part in that.

I predict that WC and Adelaide enjoy probably the biggest advantage from crowd sound both in terms of motivating players, putting off opposition, and influencing umpires (something that has ground my gears for years). The free kick differential in the West over a long time, in particular, is outrageous.
    The traditional big clubs certainly get this against lower drawing clubs too. We may see home ground advantage diluted quite a bit.

From a viewing point of view, the predominantly commentator and whistle only noises may just make me finally turn the sound off completely. There may be an opportunity to pick up more player direction and banter, which could be an interesting insight.
    I'm sort of looking forward to seeing what the experience is like watching on TV with no crowd noise. It's something different and they say a change is as good as a holiday.

Do you remember the 15 minutes of the Grand Final up until Cordy kicked the goal? THAT was eerie and strange, 100 000 people sitting watching the game in almost complete silence is one of the weirdest things I have experienced. About ten minutes into the game I realized that somebody was tapping me on the back. I turned around and a bloke pointed to FDOTM and said "could you just tell your mate that we all really appreciate his cartoons?" I said "Mate, tell him your*!*!*!*!ingself, I'M BUSY!!!!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be a different experience for the fans and the players and I'm not sure how it will resonate with either of them
    Uncharted territories for all concerned.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

They should let fans into the game, but quarantine them. Perhaps have us drive in our cars around the ground/boundary line, and sit in them. We could toot our car horns and flash our high beams after every goal. At least they'd be some atmosphere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm sort of looking forward to seeing what the experience is like watching on TV with no crowd noise. It's something different and they say a change is as good as a holiday.

Do you remember the 15 minutes of the Grand Final up until Cordy kicked the goal? THAT was eerie and strange, 100 000 people sitting watching the game in almost complete silence is one of the weirdest things I have experienced. About ten minutes into the game I realized that somebody was tapping me on the back. I turned around and a bloke pointed to FDOTM and said "could you just tell your mate that we all really appreciate his cartoons?" I said "Mate, tell him your*!*!*!*!ingself, I'M BUSY!!!!
    Ever watched a rugby game in Ireland?

There's almost an unwritten convention adding spectators that when a player is kicking for goal, no matter which team he plays for, he's allowed to kick the ball without distraction. It's eerie.

Footy without a crowd noise will take some getting used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Ever watched a rugby game in Ireland?

There's almost an unwritten convention adding spectators that when a player is kicking for goal, no matter which team he plays for, he's allowed to kick the ball without distraction. It's eerie.

Footy without a crowd noise will take some getting used to.
    Funnily enough I have, but you already knew I am a huge fan of the rugby Union way of playing the game.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I tuned into UFC Fight Night this morning. It was in Brazil, usually a very boisterous crowd but today, it was only the officials, fighters and coaches ringside.

In the absence of fans, you could hear the crack and thud of different strikes and really clearly pick up the coaching advice which was interesting. Relying on the commentary to drive the energy made for a poorer viewing experience. I actually usually enjoy the team that cover their events but they really missed the hype behind them.

it just felt not as important to anyone. In a sport that I think can easily be covered on ppv etc in lieu of in front of a live crowd, it was OK but a little bit off. The AFL has a real problem, with less talented broadcasters and a much stronger, cultural element of fan participation that won't be there.

8. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes The Adelaide Connection, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be strange watching, but as long as we win, I don't care.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The player I feel for most is Jakey.

Who's he going to pump up WWF-style when he jags a meaningless cheapie out the back?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Grand final no crowd now that will be pretty weird.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Will be very strange that's if the season goes ahead first.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking through all of the longer term financial implications of the empty stadiums makes me glad we are debt free leading into it.

All being well, we should hopefully be in a position to ride out the storm.

15. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I tuned into UFC Fight Night this morning. It was in Brazil, usually a very boisterous crowd but today, it was only the officials, fighters and coaches ringside.

In the absence of fans, you could hear the crack and thud of different strikes and really clearly pick up the coaching advice which was interesting. Relying on the commentary to drive the energy made for a poorer viewing experience. I actually usually enjoy the team that cover their events but they really missed the hype behind them.

it just felt not as important to anyone. In a sport that I think can easily be covered on ppv etc in lieu of in front of a live crowd, it was OK but a little bit off. The AFL has a real problem, with less talented broadcasters and a much stronger, cultural element of fan participation that won't be there.
    They need a two supporters one from each club with 'ball' and cheering noise buttons with a direct feed to the telecast audio.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

From a book I read called "Authenticity"

"According to Brian Eno, carnival is the key to real culture. When spectators become part of the proceedings themselves, then the event takes on an authenticity it didn’t previously have. Carnival is good when it leaves the people with the feeling that life in all its bizarre manifestations is unbeatably lovely and touching and funny and worthwhile.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Thinking through all of the longer term financial implications of the empty stadiums makes me glad we are debt free leading into it.

All being well, we should hopefully be in a position to ride out the storm.
    I would be very worried if I was a North or St Kilda supporter...