Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  136
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Collingwood R1 2020

Suckling to the forward line is another interesting selection. The indications were he would be a back man or maybe on a wing this year
    I suspect Young will be the 3rd tall forward and support ruck man instead of Schache. Schache might have a fair bit of work to do to get back in the side quickly

Cavarra did not play in one of the Marsh cup games and Gardner played a half of one game but come straight into the side.
    Neither were prominent in the practice game either but obviously fit some needs

I think it's fair to say we have continued with our trend of unconventional selection process early in the season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What if he gets injured??? In the first 10 minutes?

You've gotta have a plan. Naughton = NO. And after the Marsh series, Bruce and Keath = NO. I guess it's Young, but is that really his go? I think we are a bit tall, but with Naughton coming back from injury and maybe on limited minutes and some concerns about ruck support, I am not surprised with the selection of Gardner. I mean, when it comes to backup ruck someone has to do it.

I actually don't get the disdain in which everyone holds Gardner. He was a mid-season elevation which is about as working class as it gets in terms of AFL footballers. We seem to be celebrating the selection of Cavarra (who has done it the 'hard way') yet annoyed with the selection of someone who did it EQUALLY hard but has played maybe 5 games? Let's support him. Giving him games is called development and we need him to develop. If not now, then when??? It isn't like we don't need a tall who can play as a defensive stopper because the other defenders battle to do it.
    I guess it’s confusing in the sense that a match committee that has stoutly insisted on playing in general one tall too few, now seems insistent on playing at least one tall too many. I get that he might be in there as a Mason Cox matchup/ backup ruck, but if that’s the case then what is the point of Cordy (a longer question, I’m sure). I know there’s queries on Cordy’s one on one ability, but if he can’t be that guy, why is he there? And if he is there, why do we compound that with another guy who possibly can’t do that job either. I get your arguments but it seems a strange time to start choosing less talented tallls over more talented runners (looking at you Ed Richards). Maybe they figure with shortened game time, they can go taller, but it’s a weird moment for a change in philosophy.
    Would they have picked the same team balance if Lipinski was available?

Post Thanks / Like

I hate match committee decisions based on 'what ifs'. What if we don't lose a ruckman, but lose a runner?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Time will tell, but I'm not keen on the match committee selections here. It's in line with some of the bat shit crazy stuff Bevo was doing in recent history that had us all at sea, bobbing up and down like this.

5. Likes N/A, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two things. Bevo is not alone on the MC so it is a MC decision not just his. Secondly Gardner has been training with the backline all summer so he will not be back up ruck you would think. I have previously thought we needed an extra tall in the back so that selection is ok. Young has done ok in the ruck in the past and he is the best shot to give Tim relief.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Two things. Bevo is not alone on the MC so it is a MC decision not just his. Secondly Gardner has been training with the backline all summer so he will not be back up ruck you would think. I have previously thought we needed an extra tall in the back so that selection is ok. Young has done ok in the ruck in the past and he is the best shot to give Tim relief.
    But the question is do we need an extra tall defender against Collingwood?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Nope. Especially when we have Naughton at the other end that can go back in an emergency.

Post Thanks / Like

My concern is seeing Cordy up against Cox like round 4 last year and conceding almost 20cm, plus his reach
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My concern is seeing Cordy up against Cox like round 4 last year and conceding almost 20cm, plus his reach
    Wouldn't Keath be the obvious match-up for Cox? We also have Young who can assist if Cox is out of control.

And Cox is 210cm so everyone on our list will be giving away size.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't Keath be the obvious match-up for Cox? We also have Young who can assist if Cox is out of control.

And Cox is 210cm so everyone on our list will be giving away size.
    I prefer Young and Keath in the backline. I think Cordy and Gardner is overkill and yes Cox is taller than anyone, but Cordy is the shortest of the talls and has been beaten in the air many times.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I prefer Young and Keath in the backline. I think Cordy and Gardner is overkill and yes Cox is taller than anyone, but Cordy is the shortest of the talls and has been beaten in the air many times.
    I'd imagine we'd prefer a Wood on de Goey and Cordy on Mihochek, similar height. Stephenson out helps us immensely, he's the type that hurts us.

Gardiner just has to go to Cox. We selected him, and he's a "follow my man" lockdown defender. If he's in the team, back him in to do a job. He plays front (not back/shoulder) and just stops Cox from running at the ball. That's his role, keep it simple and he can help the team.
    If we can release Keath to play an intercepting role (the role he is best at) and he takes a bunch of intercept marks during the game I imagine Bubba as backline coach would be rapt.

I suspect Young will play ruck/forward like he did in the Marsh series (and in the Willy VFL game last year where he was very good - yes he has done it at VFL level too). We just can't let Howe jump in front of Bruce/Naughton - they're both top 5 contested marks in the comp so isolate them and let them do their thing. Young can try and drag him away form the contest.

Big call - but Noble goes to Lloyd and beats him convincingly, the guy can tackle and can play a classic lockdown small defenders role and given the "generate run from the backline" mantra those types aren't as common in the AFL as they perhaps should be. We only have one of those on our list and he's injured right now (Duryea). That means Wally has to step up as that shortish leading option who can gather the ball off the deck. Cav concentrates on getting front of the pack in the event we have a slow F50 entry.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'd imagine we'd prefer a Wood on de Goey and Cordy on Mihochek, similar height. Stephenson out helps us immensely, he's the type that hurts us.

Gardiner just has to go to Cox. We selected him, and he's a "follow my man" lockdown defender. If he's in the team, back him in to do a job. He plays front (not back/shoulder) and just stops Cox from running at the ball. That's his role, keep it simple and he can help the team.
    If we can release Keath to play an intercepting role (the role he is best at) and he takes a bunch of intercept marks during the game I imagine Bubba as backline coach would be rapt.

I suspect Young will play ruck/forward like he did in the Marsh series (and in the Willy VFL game last year where he was very good - yes he has done it at VFL level too). We just can't let Howe jump in front of Bruce/Naughton - they're both top 5 contested marks in the comp so isolate them and let them do their thing. Young can try and drag him away form the contest.

Big call - but Noble goes to Lloyd and beats him convincingly, the guy can tackle and can play a classic lockdown small defenders role and given the "generate run from the backline" mantra those types aren't as common in the AFL as they perhaps should be. We only have one of those on our list and he's injured right now (Duryea). That means Wally has to step up as that shortish leading option who can gather the ball off the deck. Cav concentrates on getting front of the pack in the event we have a slow F50 entry.
    Nice summary, makes sense.

How are you feeling about our chances tonight?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the question that will be answered tonight. None of us know for sure at the stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Nice summary, makes sense.

How are you feeling about our chances tonight?
    If they were 20 minute quarters, very apprehensive.

I still have concerns about where our run comes from around the ground but am confident we win the midfield battle with Treloar out. Would have preferred an extra runner on the bench, hopefully Suckling plays utility. I would have preferred a genuine wingman in the team along with Hunter.

I think we win and win ugly.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If in doubt go smaller is always my policy. One tall too many in my view. We need help for English but we don’t need 3 talls at each end.