Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  136
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Collingwood R1 2020

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Naughton, Bruce and Keath all playing tomorrow night.
    Great news regarding Naughton
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Reduced game time will help some players and hurt others. Should help English compete against beasts like Grundy, who just keep going all game. But doesn’t help the likes of Macrae and Hunter.

How are we positioned to take advantage of the reduced game time?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Some snippets from Bevo Press Conference:

* Aaron Naughton will take on Collingwood. Alex Keath and Josh Bruce will also to make their debut in Dogs colours

* At this stage clubs have been told that round 2 will go ahead as scheduled.

* No games to be brought forward to mid-week as of yet but that could change

* No VFL footy makes it harder for injured players coming back. Tom Liberatore one of those. Dogs can’t put a timeframe on when he’ll be back.

* Beveridge suggested clubs be allowed to play 14 v 14 scratch matches to build up match fitness of those not selected
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Cavarra gets his chance

Ben Cavarra will make his AFL debut on Friday night against Collingwood.

Mature-age forward Ben Cavarra will make his AFL debut on Friday night.

Cavarra will run out in red, white and blue for the first time when the Western Bulldogs host Collingwood at Marvel Stadium.

It’s been a long journey for the 24-year-old, after missing out on multiple drafts before joining the Bulldogs with pick 45 in 2018.

Former Bulldogs star and now VFL senior coach Daniel Giansiracusa presented Cavarra with his jumper in a team meeting on Thursday morning.

“It’s been an interesting journey, overlooked a couple of times in drafts and things like that,” Giansiracusa said in the team meeting.

“We’ve known him for just over 12 months – he was in a hurry when he got here.

“He’s a hungry little goal sneak and his body probably failed him a little bit last year, but he continued to grow and learn from those experiences.

“He continues to knock down the coaches’ door about trying to get better.”

Cavarra had more than his fair share of injuries in his first year as a Bulldog, managing just 12 VFL games around quad, hamstring, rib and shoulder injuries.

But he’s now ready to make the most of his opportunity after a strong pre-season.

“It’s been a really long journey for me,” Cavarra told his teammates.

“Overlooked six times, constantly told I’m not good enough and that sort of stuff.

“I always had the belief that I was and knew that once I got my chance I would take it with both hands.

“Last year was really tough with injuries… I’m just looking forward to the opportunity.”

5. Thanks bornadog, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Naughton to play Round 1

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge has confirmed Aaron Naughton, Josh Bruce and Alex Keath will play in Friday night's season opener.

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge has confirmed Aaron Naughton will play in Friday night’s Round 1 clash against Collingwood.

Beveridge said Naughton, who underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last month, has passed his rehabilitation with “flying colours”.

“We’ll name a side this afternoon, but Aaron is in our 22,” Beveridge said at a press conference on Thursday morning.

“He’s really important (to our team), not just for now, but as time goes by we hope he’ll keep getting better and better.

“We were a little uncertain as to whether or not he’d front up – he had that surgery at the end of last year, and then recently a bit of a clean-up – but after about a week he seemed fine.

“He’s come through with flying colours and will take his spot in the team on Friday night.”

Beveridge revealed there was no pressure put on the 20-year-old to play, considering he was sidelined for both Marsh Community Series matches.

“I said to him at the end of last week, ‘There’s no pressure to play – if you’re not feeling 100%, let’s push it back’,” Beveridge said.

“He got through all his training with no impediment – so he’s in a good state of mind, and really enthusiastic.”

The head coach also confirmed off-season recruits Alex Keath and Josh Bruce will take to the field on Friday night.

“It’s exciting for us and our supporters, to see the difference (Keath and Bruce) may make,” Beveridge said.

“I think in our key-position areas, we’ve got a little bit more depth, and our team will present out on the park differently than it has the last couple of years.”

The Bulldogs will announce their starting 22 on Thursday night.

7. Likes Mofra, Twodogs, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Cavarra gets his chance

Ben Cavarra will make his AFL debut on Friday night against Collingwood.

Mature-age forward Ben Cavarra will make his AFL debut on Friday night.

Cavarra will run out in red, white and blue for the first time when the Western Bulldogs host Collingwood at Marvel Stadium.

It’s been a long journey for the 24-year-old, after missing out on multiple drafts before joining the Bulldogs with pick 45 in 2018.

Former Bulldogs star and now VFL senior coach Daniel Giansiracusa presented Cavarra with his jumper in a team meeting on Thursday morning.

“It’s been an interesting journey, overlooked a couple of times in drafts and things like that,” Giansiracusa said in the team meeting.

“We’ve known him for just over 12 months – he was in a hurry when he got here.

“He’s a hungry little goal sneak and his body probably failed him a little bit last year, but he continued to grow and learn from those experiences.

“He continues to knock down the coaches’ door about trying to get better.”

Cavarra had more than his fair share of injuries in his first year as a Bulldog, managing just 12 VFL games around quad, hamstring, rib and shoulder injuries.

But he’s now ready to make the most of his opportunity after a strong pre-season.

“It’s been a really long journey for me,” Cavarra told his teammates.

“Overlooked six times, constantly told I’m not good enough and that sort of stuff.

“I always had the belief that I was and knew that once I got my chance I would take it with both hands.

“Last year was really tough with injuries… I’m just looking forward to the opportunity.”
    Can I just be the first to say "Yayyyyyy!!!!" and good luck to Ben. This may just be the most awaited and talked about debut since Brad Hardie in 1985.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A genuine speedy goal sneak along with some genuine key talls. Is this a real Bulldogs forward line?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't see that coming?

Cav didn't play either Marsh game and yet now debuts? I wonder if it means Schache won't play.

12. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo pulls one from left field with the Cavarra selection, but given the poor defensive efforts our mid/small forwards put on in our practice game vs Port it's certainly a needs based call.

As he mentioned its a shame his family can't be with him to watch him debut, but I hope he has a ripper game all the same!

14. Likes Sedat, josie, kruder, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Self-quoting is the height of narcissism but I'm going to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I wonder in what universe Cavarra is considered even faintly likely to play in round one before I remind myself it's Bevo's universe, we just live in it.
    Bevo sure loves him a selection smoky.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes hujsh, jeemak, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo's universe confirmed.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliantly picked
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t wait to see who’s left out to make us all angry

20. Likes Rocket Science, hujsh, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story
    Rejected 6 times !
    Us by 10 pts

Post Thanks / Like

I have watching Cavarra at vfl and am a big fan, so excited with his debut. Go Benny, Benny, Benny, Benny and the Jets!