Link

Western Bulldogs premiership coach Luke Beveridge has declared his club is in as "good a shape as anyone" to weather a significant financial hit as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Bulldogs have traditionally been seen as one of the financially poorer AFL clubs but under president Peter Gordon, having claimed the 2016 flag, have altered that image, even unveiling Pedigree as the new coaches' sponsor on Thursday.

However, their total revenue of $44,820,826 last year, while delivering a net profit of almost $3 million, was on a par with strugglers North Melbourne and St Kilda and almost $30 million less than Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton and almost $50 million less than Richmond.

Beveridge, who has also played a key role in lifting the profile of the Bulldogs, said the club was ready to handle a financial hit that will come from having a shortened 17-round home-and-away season, which could yet be cut further, and no vital gate receipts as there are no crowds at matches.

"We are stable financially. We have got a lot of money in the bank. It is a credit to our people who have managed that over the journey," he said.

"We have had a successful last five years really, so we are in a good position. We are in as good a position as anyone. There is no doubt that we are going to hurt, we are going to bleed a little bit, but we all understand that.

"Our club is a club that has endeavours to give as much to the community as we possibly can. We have got some really strong community plans and I think Friday night [season opener] is a community service."

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has said the AFL has begun discussing with the Victorian government the possibility of using the state's AAA credit rating to secure bigger loans to keep clubs afloat. Clubs could need to slash costs of between $5 million and $10 million as part of the pandemic fall-out.

Players know they will take a pay cut of what is expected to be about 20 per cent. Beveridge said how they had been portrayed had been misconstrued after comments made by AFL Players Association chief Paul Marsh when he urged a 22-game season to be staged.

"The monetary side of things ... I think Paul Marsh's message probably got taken the wrong way. It appeared to me they just wanted to wait to see what's happening before they could commit to anything in particular," Beveridge said.

"I am sure we will take a financial hit when we know what actually is going on. The prospect of having a condensed period of the year after probably the first four rounds, we will need to approach that with a bit of a different mindset.

"With only 17 rounds, we get it, and with no crowds, a huge hit to everyone's coffers but I think all of us our thinking about the people that have been hit the hardest, people that have lost their jobs. The financial impact of this globally is extremely significant. We are fortunate to still be working and doing what we love."

Beveridge said he supported the AFL's decision to start the season, with the Bulldogs to face Collingwood at Marvel Stadium on Friday night in what shapes as the match of the round.

"I support it. There is, obviously, going to be detractors. There is some real utility is us playing footy when the community is in a bit of a crisis," he said.

"If we are all healthy and can get out there and play and perform, I think it is wise to go ahead. The bigger picture is, obviously, extremely edgy, but while we are all going well, I think it is a good decision."

That 88 per cent of players across the league had voted for the season to go ahead meant there were some who had wanted the campaign to be halted. But Beveridge said he did not know of any Bulldogs who did not want to play.

"I haven't seen any evidence of any of our players not wanting to play. They are all really enthusiastic. I had a meeting with the six leaders the other day and they just can't wait to get out there," he said.

"They are a great representative of the bigger picture and of our whole list. Everyone is looking forward to it. It seems like that's right across the competition. The players just want to play."