Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment, Rnd 1 2020 vs Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We can't have him as the sole ruckman in a team supported by Young, Bruce, or even Naughton. We must put Trengove in as the support and help Tim.

As for Cox, they were weren't up against each other too many times, so I am not worried about that.
    Where does Trengove play when he’s not rucking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Where does Trengove play when he’s not rucking?
    Select Trengove as ruck and English as CHF/2nd ruck. Let English perfect his talent sensibly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Select Trengove as ruck and English as CHF/2nd ruck. Let English perfect his talent sensibly.
    Agree with this. Trengrove as he has proved is far more experienced and has proved to be capable to compete with the quality ruck men like Grundy. Trengrove is also a better key defender than Keath with 150 games with PA compared to Keath’s 50 games in 6 years with the Crows. English has the skill to play forward and used as a back up ruck man.

Post Thanks / Like

Why can't Trengove give us a dose of what Ben Hudson did to decent effect? With an ability to play back as required.

Otherwise WTF were we thinking recruiting him in the first place? As bait for Wingard?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Why can't Trengove give us a dose of what Ben Hudson did to decent effect? With an ability to play back as required.

Otherwise WTF were we thinking recruiting him in the first place? As bait for Wingard?
    On $400k+ per year, now out of favour despite having one of the better one on one % in the comp as a defender?

Maybe he's down on form but he hasn't had a look in and given Gardner's selection, we are obviously ok with playing a lockdown tall defender in the side (and Keath is not that).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    On $400k+ per year, now out of favour despite having one of the better one on one % in the comp as a defender?

Maybe he's down on form but he hasn't had a look in and given Gardner's selection, we are obviously ok with playing a lockdown tall defender in the side (and Keath is not that).
    He looked good in the practice game. It's not necessarily an issue with form.
    I suspect he doesn't provide the run that Bevo wants
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He looked good in the practice game. It's not necessarily an issue with form.
    I suspect he doesn't provide the run that Bevo wants
    Players like Jackson who are out of contract at the end of the season and hugely out of favour are in a tough spot.

Edit : Maybe he signed for four.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Players like Jackson who are out of contract at the end of the season and hugely out of favour are in a tough spot.

Edit : Maybe he signed for four.
    Contract runs out this year
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me the moment was the total lack of commitment and cohesion from the first bounce.

OK, now todays, left field, conspiracy theory number 1.

Did the match committee and the players have a prior inkling that this might be a one game season ? Obviously the idea may have been in most people's mind. Blind Freddy could see what was around the corner. Only (apparently) the AFL and NRL were oblivious to the world situation.

Something seemed amiss, and not just the spectators. The team effort was arguably the least committed I have seen a Bulldog team since the dark days of Royce Hart's coaching era.

Obviously I have no inside evidence of this, and its just an observation, just looking for an explanation for the team's apparent lack of interest and commitment.

Game highlight was the final siren sounding without a serious injury to any of our players.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

12. Thanks GVGjr, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    For me the moment was the total lack of commitment and cohesion from the first bounce.

Did the match committee and the players have a prior inkling that this might be a one game season ? Obviously the idea may have been in most people's mind. Blind Freddy could see what was around the corner. Only (apparently) the AFL and NRL were oblivious to the world situation.

Something seemed amiss, and not just the spectators. The team effort was arguably the least committed I have seen a Bulldog team since the dark days of Royce Hart's coaching era.

Obviously I have no inside evidence of this, and its just an observation, just looking for an explanation for the team's apparent lack of interest and commitment.

Game highlight was the final siren sounding without a serious injury to any of our players.
    my understanding of that era was ‘grit’ was the important thing. Skilful players were shown the door, and had good careers elsewhere (Brian Wilson). It was a long time ago but that is how I remember it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post

We were sadly outgunned in the midfield where Collingwood were far superior. This would suggest that we need far more depth when our two standouts in both Bont and Dunks are down. Adding the likes of Maclean, Williams and Smith should assist plus the need for Trengrove to assist English in the ruck. Collingwood's skill level by foot and hand was also much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    We were sadly outgunned in the midfield where Collingwood were far superior. This would suggest that we need far more depth when our two standouts in both Bont and Dunks are down. Adding the likes of Maclean, Williams and Smith should assist plus the need for Trengrove to assist English in the ruck. Collingwood's skill level by foot and hand was also much better.
    I honestly thought we could handle Collingwood but the energy levels were well down and we were well beaten in the coaches box.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I honestly thought we could handle Collingwood but the energy levels were well down .
    Mitch Robinson said, when Brisbane ran out to no banner, no roar of the crowd, he felt like they were just playing a practise match. It didn't feel the same. I am not saying this is an excuse for us, but it must play a bit on players minds.

We know that a large percentage is always in their heads. Collingwood were definitely more geed up then us, and maybe that is an issue with coaching not revving them up as much.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Mitch Robinson said, when Brisbane ran out to no banner, no roar of the crowd, he felt like they were just playing a practise match. It didn't feel the same. I am not saying this is an excuse for us, but it must play a bit on players minds.

We know that a large percentage is always in their heads. Collingwood were definitely more geed up then us, and maybe that is an issue with coaching not revving them up as much.
    It's the same issue for all teams. We didn't match the energy level of the opposition and Bevo struggled in ringing the changes that might have sparked us. We didn't pick our best side either in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I don’t want to see English in the first ruck role for a few years. He could be a match winning centre half forward. Mobile, good mark and excellent kick. There’s a greater probability of him being a new Templeton than a Grundy in my opinion.