Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment, Rnd 1 2020 vs Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The complete capitulation by English within the first 5 minutes.

Dude needs to take a shot of concrete or else he'll end up just being a good average player when he could be so much more.
    Getting your arse handed to you by one of the best ruck man in the competition can be understandable but floating back into defense and not blocking the likes of their key forwards etc shows he hasn't quite grasped the concept of contributing in other areas yet.

Is anyone having some doubts about if English is the sort of player to become a top 3 ruck man in the competition?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This best moment all night was seeing Cavarra get his first goal.
    Just 2 kicks of the footy in the game sort of counters that for me.
    He should have been played in the Marsh games

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is anyone having some doubts about if English is the sort of player to become a top 3 ruck man in the competition?
    Nope, as I said in another thread, there is probably only one other ruckman in the AFL that can beat Grundy. Grundy had 100 games more experience than English. English will only get better as he matures, still only 22 and we know the big guys take longer to develop. (not all of them, but the majority)

Just 2 kicks of the footy in the game sort of counters that for me.
    He should have been played in the Marsh games
    Yes he should have, but it was the only highlight of the night.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, as I said in another thread, there is probably only one other ruckman in the AFL that can beat Grundy. Grundy had 100 games more experience than English. English will only get better as he matures, still only 22 and we know the big guys take longer to develop. (not all of them, but the majority)
    The fact that he didn't outperform when pitted against Mason Cox was a bit of a concern for me. He didn't beat him in marking contests when he was the extra either.
    Long term I remain bullish about him being a good ruck man for us but he's got a long way to go at the moment and given our selection criteria he may not get some genuine support along the way. I hope we can work on rebuilding his confidence at last nights performance.

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that he didn't outperform when pitted against Mason Cox was a bit of a concern for me. He didn't beat him in marking contests when he was the extra either.
    Long term I remain bullish about him being a good ruck man for us but he's got a long way to go at the moment and given our selection criteria he may not get some genuine support along the way. I hope we can work on rebuilding his confidence at last nights performance.
    We can't have him as the sole ruckman in a team supported by Young, Bruce, or even Naughton. We must put Trengove in as the support and help Tim.

As for Cox, they were weren't up against each other too many times, so I am not worried about that.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Sedat, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have for a while. None of the really good rucks have ever shown a complete inability to win hitouts even when they played early like Tim has.

I have no doubt he will be a very good midfielder for a ruckman, I just dont think he is actually going to be a good ruckman.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd shitting his pants when there was no one near him, mark that and goal it was game on.

Or Bont fumbling his first two efforts, if his mind is elsewhere what hope do mere mortals have.
    The curse is dead.

11. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont's dropped mark early in the first was the moment for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Bont's dropped mark early in the first was the moment for me.
    His 30 metre handball to 2 Collingwood players with no Dogs player within cooee was also lamentable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    His 30 metre handball to 2 Collingwood players with no Dogs player within cooee was also lamentable.
    That was unusual for Bont, he usually doesn't waste a possession.

Post Thanks / Like

That and the dropped mark Bulldog4life mentioned gave me a heads up we were in for a very ordinary night.
    I've never seen such a performance from Marcus. I have a strong inclination to suspect we won't see such a performance from him like that in a long time. He is, as we know, a rare talent

Post Thanks / Like

The history with his goal kicking accuracy especially from set shots might suggest he has some work to do in that area. He isn't necessarily the efficient user of the ball we might given him credit for.

From SEN after the GWS game

The Western Bulldogs’ 2019 season is over, but they had a chance to go into half-time of the weekend's Elimination Final against GWS in front when Marcus Bontempelli had a set shot late in the second quarter.

He missed and it would be the last time the Dogs sniffed the lead, as the Giants blew them away in the second half en route to a 58-point victory.

Garry Lyon believes goal kicking is the flaw in Bontempelli’s game that holds him back.

“He missed that absolutely critical goal just before half time which would have put them in front,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.

“He’s had 53 shots at goal this year. He’s kicked 15 goals. Can you be a great player with that number?”

Bontempelli was tagged to 13 disposals by Matt de Boer in the loss and Lyon feels the Brownlow favourite needs to expect more of that next year.

“He is a super player. We know how good he is, he could win the Brownlow Medal. He’s going to have a summer of getting ready for that sort of physicality,” he said.

“If you play the Western Bulldogs in Round 1 next year, you’d be negligent if you don’t go and put physical time into Marcus Bontempelli.”

Post Thanks / Like

When the final 22 was announced. I mean, seriously?? It was 2018 all over again.

18. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The moment for Tim English was when the fixture came out. For me it was when to team sheet came out. MC playing funny buggers again.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    Like trying to find a needle in a haystack but Cav's goal put a rare smile on my face tonight.
    I’ll take this one as well Mutz. Good moment in a very ordinary night.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"