Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I've learned R1 V Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Calling for his sacking is
    Just one with plenty of reasons provided. I've seen worse on the coronavirus thread
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of movement in our coaching ranks still infuriates me. I love what Bevo has done and I'm not writing him off but at the same time, I'm not convinced he's our long term option either.

He has (as does the rest of the staff) a lot to prove. No more credits, no more dumb selections.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bont will never forget his official first game as captain.

2. Our on ball brigade, apart from Smith, were thrashed.

3. As bad as the loss was we have another sixteen games to go. I still have faith in the boys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The lack of movement in our coaching ranks still infuriates me. I love what Bevo has done and I'm not writing him off but at the same time, I'm not convinced he's our long term option either.

He has (as does the rest of the staff) a lot to prove. No more credits, no more dumb selections.
    Stability is good to a point especially if you are getting results as it's an indicator that you have the right mix.
    Bringing Smith back into the line coaches should be a good move but we aren't necessarily tapping into what other clubs are doing.

We have backed the coach and I guess we have 'his team' behind him but if we continue to come up short then changes need to be considered.

I still think we have avoided some of the harder calls on the playing list but we need a lot more of the season to be played out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    English should be shown the video of how Grundy rucked against him, and then trained to do the same thing.

Grundy hits the opponent’S body just before the ball arrives. he remains balanced and in the second or two that English took to compensate Grundy was able to palm the ball to someone in the designated position. Grundy then ran to a backup spot to make another option while our midfielders were trying to follow the ball.

To his credit English tried to counter This by jumping higher and earlier but lacked control if he hit the ball. On a few occasions I saw the ball go to Collingwood players who were on their own, their opponents setting up for a losing ruck.
    Good points!

I can’t for the life of me understand why we don’t have a more defensive structure around stoppages 10m from opposition goal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Good points!

I can’t for the life of me understand why we don’t have a more defensive structure around stoppages 10m from opposition goal
    I know right. When its a throw in or ball up near opposition goal I'm just waiting for our undersized or part time ruckman to get easily shoved aside and their ruckman grabs the ball from the ruck and bangs in an easy goal.

We seem to have some glaring problems in all areas of the ground and being round 1 after a full preseason, that's alarming.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

1 The calls to have Beveridge sacked are totally insane ( hey get on here if we start winning , don’t hide)
    2. Total lack on intensity and effort( unacceptable) if it continues then Beveridge does deserve to come under pressure )
    3. It’s a catch 22 with English . Bring in an experienced ruck and he doesn’t get enough 1st Ruck time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    1 The calls to have Beveridge sacked are totally insane ( hey get on here if we start winning , don’t hide)
    2. Total lack on intensity and effort( unacceptable) if it continues then Beveridge does deserve to come under pressure )
    3. It’s a catch 22 with English . Bring in an experienced ruck and he doesn’t get enough 1st Ruck time
    This should say “Bring in an experienced ruck and he doesn’t need 1st Ruck time”.

English has been miscast because he is tall. He would be awesome if he had not been forced to struggle against experienced star ruckmen for years.

Post Thanks / Like

So where does English play if he’s not rucking ?
    Forward line isn’t an option with Naughton , Bruce and possibly Schache

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    This should say “Bring in an experienced ruck and he doesn’t need 1st Ruck time”.

English has been miscast because he is tall. He would be awesome if he had not been forced to struggle against experienced star ruckmen for years.
    Fair point , they bit the bullet and played him early in his career
    Looking around O’Brien hadn’t played in 3 years until last year , and there’s many cases of ruckman biding their time and taking longer to become quality AFL Ruckmen

Post Thanks / Like

You would have to think one of those players will be in the ruck

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton has had a couple of good games on the forward line , I must admit that.

Would we have a better team with

Naughton : full back.
    English : Centre Half Forward
    Bruce : full forward

ruck : Trengove or Sweet

I think so

Post Thanks / Like

I really think Suckling must play in the backline and also take the kickouts. I don't seem him as a forward, or as a wing.
    Absolutely ditto JJ.

I'm more worried about our movement off half back on Friday night, there was no system at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Absolutely ditto JJ.

I'm more worried about our movement off half back on Friday night, there was no system at all.
    Yes I said that during the game. We were beaten in the midfield, but also we didn't have any run and carry.

I think we have too many HBF that are similar and we are trying to fit them all into a position somewhere on the ground.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I said that during the game. We were beaten in the midfield, but also we didn't have any run and carry.

I think we have too many HBF that are similar and we are trying to fit them all into a position somewhere on the ground.
    Fully agree BAD, perhaps backman have an inherent skill that we value and an ability to adapt to other roles but we have an abundance of mid sized defenders and keep asking the likes of Suckling and JJ to fill other roles. Ed Richards is a classic example of being drafted as a defender, played well as a defender in his first season but now has to adapt to other roles.