Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I've learned R1 V Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    1 The calls to have Beveridge sacked are totally insane ( hey get on here if we start winning , don’t hide)
    2. Total lack on intensity and effort( unacceptable) if it continues then Beveridge does deserve to come under pressure )
    3. It’s a catch 22 with English . Bring in an experienced ruck and he doesn’t get enough 1st Ruck time
    Sorry to be pedantic but it was just one call not multiple calls as this sort of implies and that call was supported by reasons not just emotion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think more than one person on this forum has wanted him sacked
    The first half of last year in particular

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first half of last year was extremely poor and we had every right to question if Beveridge was the correct person to lead us... The cluster*!*!*!*! that was Friday nights performance needs to be examined as we’ve had 6 months to work on the things that failed us in our EF and it seems we haven’t learnt a thing... more of that and questions need to be asked again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The first half of last year was extremely poor and we had every right to question if Beveridge was the correct person to lead us... The cluster*!*!*!*! that was Friday nights performance needs to be examined as we’ve had 6 months to work on the things that failed us in our EF and it seems we haven’t learnt a thing... more of that and questions need to be asked again.
    Absolutelty questions need to be asked, but sacking is a bit extreme.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm being pedantic again but this is the 3 things I learned about round one vs Collingwood. Last year is last year on threads like this.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This is what probably burns the most after Friday.

Ignoring all the external bum pats anointing us as top four with a bullet - which look hilarious at the minute - it's all the messaging out of the club itself since last year about atonement that ring so utterly hollow now. Given their first chance to respond the performance was meek and when challenged resistance was zero to negligible, again.

Sure it's end of times and everyone's struggling to deal but if the boys weren't up for it they might've just offered Collingwood a walk-over.

Oh silly me, they did.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Absolutelty questions need to be asked, but sacking is a bit extreme.
    Terry Wheeler got sacked after r2 many moons ago... the performance on Friday was a bad a performance as we’ve had in a long time.. lots of expectations and we played like we didn’t care.

If the season continues next week we’d want to actually play like we give a *!*!*!*! or the drums start beating.

And rightly or wrongly Beveridge is responsible for how we perform. As we know he’s fiercely loyal and stubborn as so let’s hope it doesn’t take half the season to get the team set up to play at our best, because we were set up to fail on Friday night.

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my issue with Beveridge. He keeps on repeating the same mistakes. We have done this before, come in naiively to a match we should be much better mentally prepared for and been smashed for it. Also last year we seemed to learn at the half way point to pick better structured sides and that having "limited" role players like Trengove was still beneficial to the side, and yet here we are again. He has throughout his entire career with us backed in low percentage selection policies both in terms of this team structure and the individuals involved, in 2015 and 16 it worked, since then not so much. I would have hoped that by now he would've learnt that maybe being a bit ore conventional would be more beneficial.

I guess keeping in the theme of the thread.

Things I have learned from round 1:
    -Beveridge is too stubborn to learn from his mistakes. He just keeps on keeping on with whatever he thinks is best and if it's shown to not be suitably effective he just doubles down on it.

*I don't want and haven't called for him to be sacked. But he should be facing a lot of scrutiny because whilst his strength in his convictions is one of his strong points, his stubbornness to change, which is basically the same thing, is one of his weakest.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic but it was just one call not multiple calls as this sort of implies and that call was supported by reasons not just emotion.
    None of this matters in 2020 but I’ll offer it up for what it is worth.

I understand it’s an extreme call. I don’t get joy from the thought.

However, my feeling early in 2018 was that the situation was heading south at a rate of knots. Until Naughts and Crozier started taking screamers, the joy in our game was whittling away.

We are good enough. The talent is there. I reckon for the most part, the effort is there (Friday a real worry on that front). It’s the system and cohesion across phases of the game that hasn’t been working often enough. We adjusted well late last year after some diabolical footy earlier. It took too long. The gap between diabolical and scintillating is still there.

I support the club and the coach, but the coach has to perform. Bevo post flag has been off, more than on. I think he has struggled with rule changes and player behaviour and probably his own will at times, his presentation was awful in parts of 18/19. He seems up for it now. And he’ll have to be. I sharpened the axe R2 2018 and put it in the corner on the balance of things. Reached for it last year but the club backed him in, so I did too. But I’m not putting it into the shed to rust away just yet.

I would have sacked him like we did Wheeler. We have backed him in. He needs to perform.

Post Thanks / Like

Irrespective of coaching calamities, structural issues, team selection or whatever, the recurring and most consistent theme within our poor performances these past twelve months has been player effort and accountability.

Something that works when everyone is on can work, as long as everyone is on. Does anyone think Collingwood would have performed that way if they weren't actually on? Mark my words, whenever the league plays again Collingwood will have days when they're off, and they'll look like we did Friday night.

If our players, lead by the guys in the middle show up for a contest, we can competitive and who knows where it can go from there. Piss and moan about the coach all you like, it's up to the players to deliver a consistent effort when it counts.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Irrespective of coaching calamities, structural issues, team selection or whatever, the recurring and most consistent theme within our poor performances these past twelve months has been player effort and accountability.

Something that works when everyone is on can work, as long as everyone is on. Does anyone think Collingwood would have performed that way if they weren't actually on? Mark my words, whenever the league plays again Collingwood will have days when they're off, and they'll look like we did Friday night.

If our players, lead by the guys in the middle show up for a contest, we can competitive and who knows where it can go from there. Piss and moan about the coach all you like, it's up to the players to deliver a consistent effort when it counts.
    Of course the players are accountable for their performances last Friday night. We had no appetite to win the contest, tackled with no intent or purpose and made fundamental errors with both decision making & in executing their skills... but you actually need to set up the team to allow us the best chance to be competitive and that didn't happen... and it happens too often.

I really struggle to see what the use of a 3-4 month pre-season is when we seemingly change things up on a whim.

Post Thanks / Like

Most talent we've ever had at the Kennel. Unfortunately the players have no ambition.

Post Thanks / Like

1. We need more bastard in the side. Cordy has it, Bailey Smith has it, and Libba on the sidelines. That's where it ends. Maybe Porter.
    What we would give right now for a Clay Smith or a Matthew Boyd or a Tim Callan.

2. 2 inside 50s halfway through the second quarter feels like a 100 point drubbing.

3. English still has a long way to go - he can do everything very, very well until he has an opponent.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    1. We need more bastard in the side. Cordy has it, Bailey Smith has it, and Libba on the sidelines. That's where it ends. Maybe Porter.
    What we would give right now for a Clay Smith or a Matthew Boyd or a Tim Callan.
    It's a societal issue. I just finished reading a book called Iron John about the devolution of masculinity in modern society, our playing group is a good example of it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It's a societal issue. I just finished reading a book called Iron John about the devolution of masculinity in modern society, our playing group is a good example of it.

If they spent the next 6 months out bush, amongst strong male leaders doing inner work, we'd be a much better footy team for it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.