Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee thread Rd 2 vs Carlton

So one point of concern is that this is now two games in a row where our midfield (which on paper is the best in the game) has been outworked by a lesser, injury affected group. I understand that English got totally monstered by Grundy but that also happened twice last year in games that were far closer.

I don't think it's a matter of a lack of extractors or "toughness". I think it's a lack of workrate and maybe a bit of arrogance that is starkly reminiscent of the days of Matt Boyd getting 30 touches while letting his man get 35 and a couple of goals. We need to be far more accountable, especially in situations where we effectively concede the ruck. I don't really know how to fix this short of yelling at Bont, Macrae and Dunkley for several straight hours and maybe opening up the midfield rotations (what the hell did McLean do to effectively have his career nerfed) but it's a massive concern when your best players are the ones letting you down.

I would do the following:

In: McLean, Trengove, Schache

Out: Gardner, Gardner, Gardner, Gardner, Gardner GARDNER GARDNER NEVER AGAIN GARDNER, Young, Dale.

If Lipinski is right then he can come in for Cavarra.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So one point of concern is that this is now two games in a row where our midfield (which on paper is the best in the game) has been outworked by a lesser, injury affected group. I understand that English got totally monstered by Grundy but that also happened twice last year in games that were far closer.

I don't think it's a matter of a lack of extractors or "toughness". I think it's a lack of workrate and maybe a bit of arrogance that is starkly reminiscent of the days of Matt Boyd getting 30 touches while letting his man get 35 and a couple of goals. We need to be far more accountable, especially in situations where we effectively concede the ruck. I don't really know how to fix this short of yelling at Bont, Macrae and Dunkley for several straight hours and maybe opening up the midfield rotations (what the hell did McLean do to effectively have his career nerfed) but it's a massive concern when your best players are the ones letting you down.

I would do the following:

In: McLean, Trengove, Schache

Out: Gardner, Gardner, Gardner, Gardner, Gardner GARDNER GARDNER NEVER AGAIN GARDNER, Young, Dale.

If Lipinski is right then he can come in for Cavarra.
    HD, I agree with your assessment of the midfield. The same thing happened in the elimination final, the mids got killed and we were starved of opportunity in the Forward 50.

However, do you think we are going in too tall with your ins and outs?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    HD, I agree with your assessment of the midfield. The same thing happened in the elimination final, the mids got killed and we were starved of opportunity in the Forward 50.

However, do you think we are going in too tall with your ins and outs?
    I think that Dale and Schache are pretty similar as players despite Schache being 6ft 6, and it's not like Schache isn't mobile. So I'm looking at it as two talls out for one in.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think that Dale and Schache are pretty similar as players despite Schache being 6ft 6, and it's not like Schache isn't mobile. So I'm looking at it as two talls out for one in.
    Fair enough.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.