Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL Suspends games till May

That is it season over for now.

Edit: Should have mentioned, AFLW finishes up with no team declared premiers. Freo unlucky as they were undefeated.
    Last edited by bornadog; 22-03-2020 at 05:52 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Suspends games till May

Wow looks like intentionally losing that game to Collingwood by 10 goals was all part of the master plan to get pick one and Jamarra. Bevo's done it again.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wow looks like intentionally losing that game to Collingwood by 10 goals was all part of the master plan to get pick one and Jamarra. Bevo's done it again.
    Gold Coast said hold my beer.

Post Thanks / Like

GVG, if there was ever a time you needed some sort of financial contribution from us, this might be it. I’m more than happy to donate towards your running costs to keep WOOF going and I’m sure I’m not alone.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    GVG, if there was ever a time you needed some sort of financial contribution from us, this might be it. I’m more than happy to donate towards your running costs to keep WOOF going and I’m sure I’m not alone.
    Here I was thinking we should shut the forum down for a month or so given the news from Gil.

All good comrade and of course I'm very appreciative of the offer of support but it's covered nicely at the moment.

I suspect it's going to get very quiet on here though because without players training etc news stories which drive conversations here will just dry up

I'm just feeling for all the people associated with the industry, it's going to be exceptionally hard yards for so many people.Quiet times on a forum just doesn't add up at the moment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Here I was thinking we should shut the forum down for a month or so given the news from Gil.

All good comrade and of course I'm very appreciative of the offer of support but it's covered nicely at the moment.

I suspect it's going to get very quiet on here though because without players training etc news stories which drive conversations here will just dry up

I'm just feeling for all the people associated with the industry, it's going to be exceptionally hard yards for so many people.Quiet times on a forum just doesn't add up at the moment.
    Good to hear mate, maybe we can use WOOF in a way that will help people who are struggling. Set up some zoom calls, maybe watch some old games together, promote each other’s businesses or help uncover some opportunities for those doing it tough financially. Run an online book club, I dunno.

Coming together as a collective with a shared love of the Bulldogs is going to be important over the next few months.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Good to hear mate, maybe we can use WOOF in a way that will help people who are struggling. Set up some zoom calls, maybe watch some old games together, promote each other’s businesses or help uncover some opportunities for those doing it tough financially. Run an online book club, I dunno.

Coming together as a collective with a shared love of the Bulldogs is going to be important over the next few months.
    Great suggestions there Comrade.

Ditto on helping out financially for the forum, if it is needed.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to be interesting to see what the players will do for the next two months? A long time to try and stay fit on your own.

No doubt lots of staff at the club will either lose jobs or forced to use their annual leave. I know Essendon has alreaday cut into the membership department, which is fair enough, but now this is a new ball game (so to speak)

I know my wife's niece who is a development coach at Melbourne Rebels has been forced to work from home - not much to do actually. Not sure on how she is surviving with rent to pay etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Danny McGinlay
    @dannymcginlay

I think it’s only fair that the AFL also null and void all the Round 1 results and start fresh when we come back in May/June.

11. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, josie, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think training and maintaining fitness etc will be an issue with the players I'm sure there are some options for them
    The challenge will be keeping many of them mentally stimulated and focused.

13. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think training and maintaining fitness etc will be an issue with the players I'm sure there are some options for them
    The challenge will be keeping many of them mentally stimulated and focused.
    Would be tough though if you put yourself in their position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Would be tough though if you put yourself in their position.
    The people that use this time effectively will gain a benefit and that's not just the footballers its for everyone in society, the ones that focus on other things will go backwards. We are a social group but we now need to adjust for a period of time

The determined ones in our playing group should be OK

The club can help them all with the planning. This period of social isolation will only get the better of you if you let it and it's vastly better than getting the virus. Using my time positively is my aim.

I've gone to the extent of planning out meals based on what we have in the fridge, freezer and pantry and and a list of tasks I want to achieve once I'm told I have to work from home. I've even organised some books to read and an online course to keep me focused.

16. Likes SonofScray, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably a good thing after fri nights effort.

Post Thanks / Like

2020 season will go down as an exercise in folly. It should never have even started.

19. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In tough economic times we need escapism even more. We need our heroes. We have an even deeper need to belong to something bigger than ourselves. Think of Phar Lap and Bradman and the Great Depression.

This year we are being robbed of our footy teams, our sporting heroes, our Olympic moments, our community clubs, our children’s sport ... bloody tough no matter which way you look at it.