Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Suspends games till May

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    In tough economic times we need escapism even more. We need our heroes. We have an even deeper need to belong to something bigger than ourselves. Think of Phar Lap and Bradman and the Great Depression.

This year we are being robbed of our footy teams, our sporting heroes, our Olympic moments, our community clubs, our children’s sport ... bloody tough no matter which way you look at it.
    All true, yet on the flip side when this is all over, we won't be so quick to take for granted the simple joys of having a coffee with a mate in a favourite cafe, or enjoying a movie at the cinema with a loved one, or seeing the Bont in full flight with fellow Dogs fans cheering him on.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes bornadog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we'll see some real damage and a significant philosophical divide about "where to from here" between key stakeholders in the game when this blows over.

Huge changes on the horizon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I think we'll see some real damage and a significant philosophical divide about "where to from here" between key stakeholders in the game when this blows over.

Huge changes on the horizon.
    Any predictions?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Any predictions?
    We'll get the lock out/sit down that the AFLPA have threatened every time their Agreement is up for grabs. The industry has a taste for what no footy looks like so there is some tangible stuff to leverage now.

We'll get stuck with the shorter games, shorter season.

Mergers/relocations back in the conversation. Might see some licenses taken back.

I think we'll see the "big clubs" get restless and start throwing some stupid ideas around that will likely put us at some sort of disadvantage. Super League?

6. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There will not be games in May or April or June or July. This will continue to grow and be untenable even with social distancing measures in place and there will be even higher risk as we enter our winter months. Why would you start a footy season halfway through the year and potentially undo all the hard work you've done previously?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    There will not be games in May or April or June or July. This will continue to grow and be untenable even with social distancing measures in place and there will be even higher risk as we enter our winter months. Why would you start a footy season halfway through the year and potentially undo all the hard work you've done previously?
    Agree the May start is pie in the sky. Not even the experts know when this will be over for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Here I was thinking we should shut the forum down for a month or so given the news from Gil.

All good comrade and of course I'm very appreciative of the offer of support but it's covered nicely at the moment.

I suspect it's going to get very quiet on here though because without players training etc news stories which drive conversations here will just dry up

I'm just feeling for all the people associated with the industry, it's going to be exceptionally hard yards for so many people.Quiet times on a forum just doesn't add up at the moment.
    What's the traffic been like the past few days? I've noticed I'm on here way more - I used to pick up my phone as a distraction from reality, now it's the other way around - and WOOF is about the only site that doesn't stress me out!
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    What's the traffic been like the past few days? I've noticed I'm on here way more - I used to pick up my phone as a distraction from reality, now it's the other way around - and WOOF is about the only site that doesn't stress me out!
    Weirdly enough, I think I've been more active on WOOF in the past 2 weeks than I have in the last 6 months.

Like others, I guess I need the distraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Been ticking over nicely but you would have to expect it will get quiet when we get into winter. It's not just footy but all sports
    Just to confirm we won't be shutting the forum not even for a brief period. Twodogs will kick me in the shins...of course in a socially distancing appropriate manner

I've just realised I don't need the Foxtel sports package now and can cancel the Telstra fee for the tablet that I normally take to the footy
    I probably don't need the subscription to the Herald Sun either. That might save me $70 a month
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, hujsh, Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Weirdly enough, I think I've been more active on WOOF in the past 2 weeks than I have in the last 6 months.

Like others, I guess I need the distraction.
    Different for me.

Been somewhat overwhelmed with life outside sport and struggled to even bear to contemplate, particularly after the disaster we served up in Round 1.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Been ticking over nicely but you would have to expect it will get quiet when we get into winter. It's not just footy but all sports
    Just to confirm we won't be shutting the forum not even for a brief period. Twodogs will kick me in the shins...of course in a socially distancing appropriate manner

I've just realised I don't need the Foxtel sports package now and can cancel the Telstra fee for the tablet I normally take to the footy
    I probably don't need the subscription to the Herald Sun either. That might save me $70 a month
    Been trying to cancel my sports package with Foxtel on line. Won't let me do it. When I rang I was told there is an hour wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Foxtel makes life a little easier with more content, more screens

Foxtel today announced a series of initiatives to make life a little easier for Australians as they spend more time at home to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Foxtel Group Chief Executive Officer Patrick Delany said: “We have heard from our customers that during these challenging times, one of the things that really makes a difference is being able to keep the whole family entertained, informed and connected as they settle in at home.

“We’re all in this together and we want them to know that Foxtel is there for them. These initiatives provide customers with an even better entertainment experience in their homes with more content, access on more screens and more data, all at no extra charge.”

Effective from today until 31 May, Foxtel customers will have access to:

- More content with access to Foxtel’s full range of Drama, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Documentaries, Reality and Kids2 TV channels and on demand libraries3.

- Customers will have access to Multiscreen4, giving expanded access to watch on up to two additional devices at the same time including casting the Foxtel GO4 app to additional TVs.

- Foxtel Now customers will have Drama Extra, Docos, Pop, Lifestyle and Kids added to their Essentials, Pop or Lifestyle packs.

- Unlimited broadband data for all Foxtel Broadband and Foxtel nbn customers who are on monthly data allowances for streaming and home internet without limits.5

The initiatives are available to Foxtel customers including those that subscribe to Foxtel through Telstra and Optus.

Mr Delany added: “With these changes we are making thousands of hours of additional live and on demand content available to our customers. I want to acknowledge the support we have received from all our content partners to make this happen including Discovery, BBC Studios, ViacomCBS, Turner, NBC Universal and National Geographic.

“This is also a time when staying informed is more important than ever. All our customers will have access to Foxtel’s full range of news services including Sky News and the dedicated Sky News COVID-19 news channel along with international news from CNN, FOX News, BBC World News, Sky News UK, CNBC and Bloomberg Television.

“For kids who are spending more time at home, the additional range of documentary content including BBC Earth and National Geographic will help them continue to learn more about the world around us.

“Our call centres are working hard to prioritise callers with an immediate need and we appreciate our customers’ patience and support as we navigate the current challenges ourselves.”

The additional content means customers will have more to watch as they settle in to enjoy the world’s best entertainment across multiple genres.

This includes new series such as Mrs America starring Cate Blanchett and Rose Byrne, mystery thriller Devs and new seasons of Westworld, The Walking Dead, Outlander, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Selling Houses Australia, Cosmos: Possible Worlds and The Great British Bake Off.

Customers will also be able to catch up on entire seasons and box sets of recent hit series such as Game of Thrones, Succession, Tim Minchin’s Upright and His Dark Materials, along with comedy evergreens including Friends, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family and Seinfeld.

Customers do not need to activate the changes. The additional tiers of content, multiscreen and unlimited broadband will be opened up by Foxtel this morning allowing customers to enjoy the premium content and features immediately until 31 May.

Foxtel remains focused on on keeping customers connected and urges customers to visit the updated support pages for any non-urgent queries as we try to prioritise service for those in immediate need. Online services are available at foxtel.com.au/update.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Been trying to cancel my sports package with Foxtel on line. Won't let me do it. When I rang I was told there is an hour wait.
    Not sure how it's going to work since they are giving everyone most of the channels other than movies. You could cancel sport but still have access to it until the end of May.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: AFL Suspends games till May

I've just realised I don't need the Foxtel sports package now and can cancel the Telstra tablet fee that I normally take to the footy
    Damn straight I would!

These are our people and abandoning them isn't on the agenda. Especially not now.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

18. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just realised I don't need the Foxtel sports package now and can cancel the Telstra tablet fee that I normally take to the footy
    I reckon the shin kicking championships will probably get a run on fox sports over the coming months, don't be too hasty.