• VFL quality

4 44.44%
  • Delist

2 22.22%
  • Needs more time

0 0%
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020

I thought with the delay of the football it's time to assess our list so I hope I've started this in the right way.
    We can evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks GVGjr, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020

A few stats:
    Height: 188cm
    Weight: 87Kg
    Games:61

A fearless competitor, Lin Jong has forged a reputation as an explosive, clearance player since arriving at the Club as a rookie in late 2011.vJong surpassed expectations in his first AFL season to not only make his senior debut but to also make an impact at senior level. Jong joined the Bulldogs with their first selection (pick 9) in the 2011 AFL Rookie Draft, and was elevated to the Club's senior list at the end of 2014. Playing a career high 16 games in 2016, Jong's finals hopes were cruelled by a broken collarbone suffered in the second quarter of the Elimination Final. Jong would return to the field in 2016, but not at senior level, with the tough as nails midfielder returning from injury to play in the Footscray Bulldogs' VFL Grand Final victory, receiving the Norm Goss medal as the best afield. Jong is a two-time VFL premiership player with the Footscray Bulldogs.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To me Jong is proven to be an AFL standard player but one that sits on the fringes with us and he doesn't demand a best 25 or even 30 spot. His inability to consistently get on the park I feel means unless a lot of things go right for him this season he is making up numbers.

Given the delayed season he's going to be available for the games so that works for him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the VFL/Delist camp. He is a hard at the football midfielder, with a strong set of hands who makes poor decisions and butchers the ball. Love his effort. Love his passion. But I think he is limited as a footballer and we have his position covered - Dunkley, Lipinski, Wallis, Libba, Bailey Smith. I've ticked VFL, becasue he is a very good VFL footballer, but he will never be more than a list player for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    To me Jong is proven to be an AFL standard player but one that sits on the fringes with us
    He's one or the other. If he is proven he is not fringe, and vice versa.

I like Jong, I like his positive attributes but he has two huge deficiencies.

Firstly, he is too wasteful with the ball. He can be panicky and dish the ball off to bad options, and his execution is often lacking.Many times he doesn't handball to the players advantage, and his kicking is mediocre at best.

Secondly, his body is so consistently injured he can never get a good enough run at it to build up confidence or his ability. His best performances for us have been when he has had a strong pre-season (2015 maybe) and come into the season in good form. He has shown that when he can do that he can be a good contributor, but in that season he injured his finger i think in the Sydney game and his confidence was dented. Likewise a couple of years later he started well and then again copped a niggle and his confidence was shot. Potentially this means he is too mentally fragile to get the best out of himself once his confidence is at all affected.

It's a shame. Physically he is impressive, he is very brave and selfless (early days he was borderline suicidal). He has shown an ability to play all over the ground, can certainly find the ball, is a nice guy and can impact games. At his best he is a bit like Koby Stevens at his best, hard to stop, physical and damaging despite sub optimal ball use.

Do i see a future for him with us? Probably not. He is behind too many as a ball winning mid, lacks the nous I want in our forwards, and hasn't been a defender since his first season at the club. If we are giving opportunities to fringe players I would much rather we put the time into some of the options we have that have higher ceilings.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    He's one or the other. If he is proven he is not fringe, and vice versa.

I like Jong, I like his positive attributes but he has two huge deficiencies.

Firstly, he is too wasteful with the ball. He can be panicky and dish the ball off to bad options, and his execution is often lacking.Many times he doesn't handball to the players advantage, and his kicking is mediocre at best.

Secondly, his body is so consistently injured he can never get a good enough run at it to build up confidence or his ability. His best performances for us have been when he has had a strong pre-season (2015 maybe) and come into the season in good form. He has shown that when he .......

It's a shame. Physically he is impressive, he is very brave and selfless (early days he was borderline suicidal). He has shown an ability to play all over the ground, can certainly find the ball, is a nice guy and can impact games. At his best he is a bit like Koby Stevens at his best, hard to stop, physical and damaging despite sub optimal ball use.

Do i see a future for him with us? Probably not. He is behind too many as a ball winning mid, lacks the nous I want in our forwards, and hasn't been a defender since his first season at the club. If we are giving opportunities to fringe players I would much rather we put the time into some of the options we have that have higher ceilings.
    Is this about Jong or most of the team on Friday? For me he would be an improvement if he could stay fit and injury free. I was hoping to see that this year. Sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Is this about Jong or most of the team on Friday? For me he would be an improvement if he could stay fit and injury free. I was hoping to see that this year. Sad.
    I presume this thread is all about Jong. If AFL is played again this year, Lin will be available.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Yes it's a countdown based on the player numbers. It's going to take a while to work our way through it but I hope more people get involved.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If his body is good, he plays for now imo. At least he's not going to die wondering, and he is tough and hard.

I can't watch that soft disinterested not even a whimper garbage again.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

The club had Jong ear marked for the wing prior to his injury. Time will tell if Jongy will be with us when we play again.