Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL orders mass stand-downs of staff at clubs, league HQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I agree 100% that the players and clubs are the product. But there is no product and most likely won't be any product for at least the next 6 months. He is asking for clarity on something that has absolutely no clarity whatsoever anywhere in the world. The greatest health minds in the world don't even have clarity on how long this will continue.
    Agree. He is asking for something that just can't be provided at the moment. Nobody has clarity in the here and now. Nobody knows what is around the corner.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

What's he actually asking for? From what I read he wants the AFL to be transparent about its current financial state and he wants to know what its plans are. Are we accepting the AFL doesn't know what its current financial state is, or hasn't at least modelled what its future state might be? If not, how could any stakeholder attempt to plan and adapt to the landscape?

Without knowing what the AFL has or hasn't shared with the AFLPA it's hard to judge.

Apart from playing, are the players pretty much going to have to be full time as if they would be during a preseason for the foreseeable future? If one of them comes back unfit will they get lambasted for it? Is what's being asked of them to take more than a 50% pay cut to continue doing their job and not stand down?

I don't know the answers to any of the above, and I don't think it's unreasonable to let this play out a bit further before we call shenanigans and get our brooms out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty clear that unless the AFEL can get a massive line of credit from the banks courtesy of leveraging against the value of Marvel Stadium (and what a master-stroke it was to take ownership of that), there is no AFEL, no clubs and ultimately no players beyond the next few months. That's why this posturing is so pointless and frankly pathetic.

The AFLPA pushed hard for a percentage share of revenue in their last pay deal - they are hoisted on their own pettard now that there is effectively no revenue in a competition that has no content.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression the players offered 50% during the shutdown, not just for 2 months. Makes much more sense now why it was rejected

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand players on base salary having reservations - especially in light of zero match payments.
    Players who have had longer in the system surely have to see the situation for what it is.
    Let's not pretend their earning potential suddenly dries up post football - teh opportunities for networking into the business world post-AFL are something many of us can only dream of.

Perhaps turning up to their respective clubs and seeing 80% of their staff gone will be the one thing that opens their eyes.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some Financial Stats from here

THE AFL GROUP 2019 Profit & Loss ($ mill) Millions
    Revenue $ 794.00
    Operating Expenses $ 330.00
    Net Financing Income/(Expense) $ 5.80
    Operating Surplus $ 458.20
    Payments to Clubs $ 314.60
    Payments to AFLPA $ 37.70
    Game Development $ 58.80
    Ground Improvements $ 11.90
    AFL Foundation $ 1.35
    Facilities Development $ 6.00
    Net Profit/(Loss) before Transfers (to)/from Reserves $ 27.90

2019 CLUB DISTRIBUTIONS Club Total ($’000)
    Adelaid $ 13,611
    Brisbane $ 23,127
    Carlton $ 16,389
    Collingwood $ 15,114
    Essendon $ 15,034
    Fremante $ 13,789
    Geelong $ 13,965
    Gold Coast $ 27,796
    GWS $ 25,544
    Hawthorn $ 13,325
    Melbourne $ 18,092
    North Melbourne $ 18,752
    Port Adelaide $ 15,897
    Richmond $ 14,942
    St Kilda $ 22,242
    Sydney $ 14,635
    West Coast $ 12,655
    Western Bulldogs $ 19,698
    Total $ 314,607
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Would there be a reasonable argument to suggest it should be 50% reduction this year and 33% for next year. Even that might be light on.
    My take on this is harsh - and I side with the players on pretty much every issue, but;

1/. They are not working. Further, there is no work.
    2/. The 'no work' is not a result of mismanagement or poor administration.
    3/. This is a unique situation.

Until they are playing again, they shouldn't be paid. Just like everyone else in Australia right now - like the 11 people who work for me for example - they should be paid a salary as long as they have annual leave...and after that, they need to join the line at CentreLink and claim the current government allowance related to end-of-employment.

It sucks, but they don't actually have jobs at the moment. It isn't like they are injured and can fulfill their obligations through member/sponsor/community engagement...it isn't possible to actually DO any of that. At all. Let me say it again. They don't have jobs. Contracts will not be valid. They are not fulfilling their contracts and are unable to do so...they should be getting on the front foot here and aligning themselves with the wider community.

I get that people at the AFL and in clubs are bleeding...but so is the country. I get that they have obligations...but so has the country. Slightly off track, I have to say I am a bit surprised that the club hasn't been in touch to say all membership payments have been frozen - if you want to OPT IN to keep paying, then here is a weblink that will enable you to do so...I am not thrilled with the way they are handling it either...whether people want to cancel or put on hold or keep paying or whatever...the product they are selling has been taken away - you shouldn't be assuming everyone is just OK with continuing to pay - you should be assuming that they are NOT OK and asking for support from those who are able.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes Sedat, chef, GVGjr, soupman, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    My take on this is harsh - and I side with the players on pretty much every issue, but;

Until they are playing again, they shouldn't be paid. Just like everyone else in Australia right now - like the 11 people who work for me for example - they should be paid a salary as long as they have annual leave...and after that, they need to join the line at CentreLink and claim the current government allowance related to end-of-employment.

It sucks, but they don't actually have jobs at the moment. It isn't like they are injured and can fulfill their obligations through member/sponsor/community engagement...it isn't possible to actually DO any of that. At all. Let me say it again. They don't have jobs. Contracts will not be valid. They are not fulfilling their contracts and are unable to do so...they should be getting on the front foot here and aligning themselves with the wider community.

I get that people at the AFL and in clubs are bleeding...but so is the country. I get that they have obligations...but so has the country. Slightly off track, I have to say I am a bit surprised that the club hasn't been in touch to say all membership payments have been frozen - if you want to OPT IN to keep paying, then here is a weblink that will enable you to do so...I am not thrilled with the way they are handling it either...whether people want to cancel or put on hold or keep paying or whatever...the product they are selling has been taken away - you shouldn't be assuming everyone is just OK with continuing to pay - you should be assuming that they are NOT OK and asking for support from those who are able.
    If there was an applause emoji available on WOOF, I would utilise it.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the players still obligated to keep fit, injury free or recover from injury?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

If their contracts aren't valid and they don't jobs, are they even Bulldogs players at the moment?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The players do need to wear the cost like everyone else.

For me I have staff and they continue to work, because we have a lot of work to complete, although we have minimised public contact and our client contact is currently mostly electronic.

We have to deal with Centrelink for clients and that is almost impossible to do with the continual crashing of the website.

We have also taken an enormous hit to our revenue and it probably means I need to go without any money personally for an extended period. The business will need to be debt funded.

The players do not realise how difficult the current financial situation is for ordinary people.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

13. Likes bornadog, Remi Moses, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The players do need to wear the cost like everyone else.

For me I have staff and they continue to work, because we have a lot of work to complete, although we have minimised public contact and our client contact is currently mostly electronic.

We have to deal with Centrelink for clients and that is almost impossible to do with the continual crashing of the website.

We have also taken an enormous hit to our revenue and it probably means I need to go without any money personally for an extended period. The business will need to be debt funded.

The players do not realise how difficult the current financial situation is for ordinary people.
    All the best BJ.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.