Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Biggest Lost Talent: Daniel Hargraves vs Cameron Faulkner

Both had innate talent. Daniel a Rising Star nominee. Faulkner a first round draftee.

So who was the bigger loss for us, who didn’t reach their talent or potential. And why?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Biggest Lost Talent: Daniel Hargraves vs Cameron Faulkner

Love these threads BT. This is exactly the sort of stuff we need to be talking about.

Even though I only have Youtube to go off, I feel like the answer is Hargraves. He actually did some things in the AFL that showed he could've been a player if not for his interests, both off-field and lack of them on-field.

Faulkner was more a classic bust; just a guy whose game didn't translate to players being that bit quicker and bigger. Plus he cost us that first game against Judas and the Tigers, which, to a younger me, was an unforgivable offence.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes bulldogtragic, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hargraves was the young gun forward we craved, but just lacked something. I think a lot had to do with how badly we developed players (talls especially).

Faulkner was a bust - taken way too high.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed most of Daniel's career as I was living and working in Asia during most of the 1990's. I only saw a couple of games each year when on holidays back to Oz. Thanks to my mother-in-law, I got copies of games when we won. It is difficult to assess a player from video games.

I had high hopes for Faulkner after he was dubbed the next Mcleod and even had a chat to him at Family Day telling him this is your year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Cam Faulkner was an 'opposite' footballer - I always felt he could do the hard things on the field but not the easy things.

Hargraves was an 'almost' footballer - it 'almost' clicked for him a few times, but never did. Plus he had he pressure of being a Bulldogs tall forward which for 30 years was almost an impossible task.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to remember Hargraves just about winning a game off his own boot, in a last quarter win against Geelong, at the cattery. This was doubly exciting because it could have been a breakout game for him. But somehow it just never happened.

My other memory of him was at VFL park, coming out of the reserves change room and taking the time to chat with the spectators as he walked around the ground during the main game. Judging by the reception he was immensely popular with the 'Doggies fans.

Of course the other major coodabeen was Shane Loveless. Sixteen goals in two weeks, then on his way to oblivion.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Of course the other major coodabeen was Shane Loveless. Sixteen goals in two weeks, then on his way to oblivion.
    My favourite all-time coodabeen was Cam Wight. 200cm, huge tank, athletic... just had the habit of having one "Cam Wight howler" moment every game, sometimes more.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I seem to remember Hargraves just about winning a game off his own boot, in a last quarter win against Geelong, at the cattery. This was doubly exciting because it could have been a breakout game for him. But somehow it just never happened.

My other memory of him was at VFL park, coming out of the reserves change room and taking the time to chat with the spectators as he walked around the ground during the main game. Judging by the reception he was immensely popular with the 'Doggies fans.

Along with Pat Bowden, I can't believe with the talent they had that they just faded away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    My favourite all-time coodabeen was Cam Wight. 200cm, huge tank, athletic... just had the habit of having one "Cam Wight howler" moment every game, sometimes more.
    If Cam Wight came along maybe 3 years later he'd still be on a list now. Maybe not ours, but someones.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Love these threads BT. This is exactly the sort of stuff we need to be talking about.

Even though I only have Youtube to go off, I feel like the answer is Hargraves. He actually did some things in the AFL that showed he could've been a player if not for his interests, both off-field and lack of them on-field.

Faulkner was more a classic bust; just a guy whose game didn't translate to players being that bit quicker and bigger. Plus he cost us that first game against Judas and the Tigers, which, to a younger me, was an unforgivable offence.

I asked him about that once. He just said "oh man. I found out why they call him Rocket that day"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If Cam Wight came along maybe 3 years later he'd still be on a list now. Maybe not ours, but someones.
    I remember he kicked a goal against the Saints in 2008 (the same day Griffen wrong footed Blake and goaled) that showed his full running and athletic potential, but as Mofra said, he would just find ways to make himself look completely incompetent at times.

Wonder if the odd Eade bake got into his head and crippled his confidence...…..
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I remember he kicked a goal against the Saints in 2008 (the same day Griffen wrong footed Blake and goaled) that showed his full running and athletic potential, but as Mofra said, he would just find ways to make himself look completely incompetent at times.

I remember the exact goal you're talking about.

What made it even sweeter was that he ran of Justin Koschitzke to kick said goal, Cam, Brian Lake and Dale Morris were letting him know all about it prior to the centre bounce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Actually Eade loved Cam. He used to say to me that there were only two people who thought that Cam would make it as an AFL player (They were Rocket and me) and unfortunately Cam wasn't one of them.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

A wonder what happened to these guys? Did they end up playing local footy?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.