Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

The Best Ever Stolen Match

The best ever game we have stolen from an opponent who had already penciled the ‘W’ in?

Might be margin, no/low interchange or last minute surge or after the siren job.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Best Ever Stolen Match

The AFL, preliminary final, 2016.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Nahhh, that 2016 Prelim was a calssic ding dong ding game were we edged it. A steal is a game you had no right to win......thinking Hawthorn last year was pretty good. Sydney in the wet in 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Nahhh, that 2016 Prelim was a calssic ding dong ding game were we edged it. A steal is a game you had no right to win......thinking Hawthorn last year was pretty good. Sydney in the wet in 2015
    Think you missed what I was getting at.

All the actual nominations I can think of have us on the receiving end. Most of them against St Kilda.

That game where Melbourne wore the same kit as the umpires and one of their players handballed to an umpire streaming into an open goal was pretty funny. We had no right to win that and probably wouldn't have without the pinkwashing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I loved that Hawthorn match, it was a classic come from behind win. I went with a Hawthorn mate and ended up amongst the Hawthorn members section. They were all very cocky for most of the game and at 3/4 time we still looked like we had no chance.
    When we hit the front after some silly free kicks given away by Sicily, I thought I was going to get lynched. The supporters were fuming and I had a big smile on my face.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney 2016 when JJ kicked the winner with about 5 seconds left. We hung with them all day but never quite looked like pulling ahead, until we did.

It was made even better by the fact that me and the old man made a decision on a whim to fly up for the day to watch it AND I was able to rub it into the Swans fans sitting behind me that I was bantering with all night.

One of those days where you think "how good is footy?!'. Miss that feeling.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Sydney 2016 when JJ kicked the winner with about 5 seconds left. We hung with them all day but never quite looked like pulling ahead, until we did.

It was made even better by the fact that me and the old man made a decision on a whim to fly up for the day to watch it AND I was able to rub it into the Swans fans sitting behind me that I was bantering with all night.

That was election night and we got invited to an election party with a few couples. (I wasn't happy, but they are our very good friends so couldn't knock it back).

I kept checking my phone as people huddled around the TV watching the results come in. We seemed to be behind most of the game and when I checked the final score I jumped in the air yelling YES!!. Wish I was there would have been a great night.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

The only game in history where I enjoyed Dwayne Russell's commentary...."he's living the dream!"...when JJ flushed that kick.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The only game in history where I enjoyed Dwayne Russell's commentary...."he's living the dream!"...when JJ flushed that kick.
    I will credit him two: "Essendon. They need a safe word here."

12. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not old enough to remember this game but statistically it seems like we had no right to win it.

Round 21 1983 v St Kilda at Moorabbin

Down by 39 points at three quarter time, we won by a goal 16.4.100 v 13.16.94, with 9 less scoring shots. Kicked 9.1 in the final quarter and 7.3 in the first three quarters.

St Kilda smashed us in the second quarter, so unless the wind had changed by the last quarter that doesn't seem to be the cause.

Anybody remember this game?

Link

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm not old enough to remember this game but statistically it seems like we had no right to win it.

Down by 39 points at three quarter time, we won by a goal 16.4.100 v 13.16.94, with 9 less scoring shots. Kicked 9.1 in the final quarter and 7.3 in the first three quarters.

St Kilda smashed us in the second quarter, so unless the wind had changed by the last quarter that doesn't seem to be the cause.

Link
    Yes, I was there.

Enjoy:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Link
    I don't know why but my two mates and I were sitting in the Huggins stand for that game. When Ian Williams kicks the winner we are jumping up and down high fiving each other when one of them says "inside voices" so we look up and realize that the whole of the grandstand had turned around to look at us.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 6, 2004 against North Melbourne at Manuka Oval in Canberra. Think we came back from 6 goals or more down at 3/4 time. Cam Faulkner took an intercept mark from the kick out with less than a minute to go. Shanked it to Mitchell Hahn who kicked from 50 metre line, pack went up and ball spilled in goal square. Johnno stumbled and fumbled the ball ,but manages at last moment to get a boot to the ball, just as it was going over the goal line. GOAL. Won by a point IRRC.
    Horrible game for three quarters, only to be resurrected by an unbelievable final quarter.
    If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.

19. Likes Sedat, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a game against Carlton, at Prices Park, way back in the early 70's. The 'Dogs were about 4 goals down into time on. We were at the far end from our car, and my Grandad decided to pack up and begin to walk around to the other end. As we walked both Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan kicked quick "junk time" goals, and things started to get interesting.

Long story short, by the time we got to the other end, and the siren blew, we were in front.

A win at Carlton was a rare treat in those days, even more so when it was such an unlikely success. Not even sure that my time frame is accurate.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    There was a game against Carlton, at Prices Park, way back in the early 70's. The 'Dogs were about 4 goals down into time on. We were at the far end from our car, and my Grandad decided to pack up and begin to walk around to the other end. As we walked both Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan kicked quick "junk time" goals, and things started to get interesting.

Long story short, by the time we got to the other end, and the siren blew, we were in front.

A win at Carlton was a rare treat in those days, even more so when it was such an unlikely success. Not even sure that my time frame is accurate.
    Was that the drawn game in 1976 and we got into the finals by half a game. I was there, we never looked like we were going to make the finals half way through that quarter, it was the last game of the year and we had to win or draw to make it.

That draw also locked in Carlton on top of the ladder