Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  28
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Best Ever Stolen Match

We've had some wins against Melbourne where during the games I thought 'ughh, this is ugly'

Round 4 1997 is one I remember. We were only down by 3 goals at HT, and closed the gap at 3 qtr time, but we played awful and just over the line by 2 points.

Round 7 2010 (pink lady game, wet Friday night) was another we pinched by 4 points late on. Scully had 39 disposals. We were *very* lucky to win.

On the other side of the coin, I still can't believe we lost the previous Friday night in 2010 against St Kilda. 2 points in the last quarter after being 17 points up at 3 quarter time (one of those was Gia running into open goal straight in front from 30 metres) in one of the weirdest, defensive minded contests I've ever seen. I've detested Ross Lyon ever since.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

2. Likes Sedat, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This game may have been our best stolen draw:

Former Richmond superstar Nathan Brown explains why he celebrated a draw against Western Bulldogs

Nathan Brown raised both arms in celebration and took four steps accelerating towards his teammates. At the same time Western Bulldog Bob Murphy charged towards Brown to unleash a mighty spray. Relive the hilarious moment.

Richmond star Nathan Brown raised both arms in celebration and took four steps accelerating towards his teammates.

The final siren sounded at Marvel Stadium and the Tigers had led Brown’s old Western Bulldogs by 19 points in red time. There was only one problem.

The Dogs booted 3.1 in the dying minutes of the 2008 thriller, and Brown had rejoiced at a draw.

“For some reason I thought, obviously, that we’d won, and being an ex-Doggies player it means a bit more to win those games, particularly when they’re close,” Brown said.

“I got it wrong. The ball came out of the middle, it got kicked to me, went over my head a little bit and the siren sounded and I thought we were in front.

“I turned around and (Bulldog) Ryan Hargrave looked at me and goes, ‘What are you doing?!’

“I realised it was a draw, put my arms down and then I see Robert Murphy, who was a centre half-forward at that stage, charging 100m down the ground to give me an absolute earful, as most Doggies players do.

“I can remember clearly what he said to me. He ran down and with a cheeky grin and said, ‘Ah, you just made a d***head of yourself.

“And I said, ‘Yep, I did’. He took the most joy out of it.”

Channel 7 panned from Hargrave and Brown, as Murphy was starting his ridiculing run, to Cameron Wight consoling Matthew Richardson.

“Now that’s interesting. I think (Brown) thought he was going to get the free kick,” commentator Denis Commeti said.

“Nathan Brown was celebrating, but it’s a draw. How did that slip away from the Tigers?”

Commeti was being kind. Tiger Jay Schulz’s kick just cleared Brown at half-forward, and Brown knew opponent Dale Morris hadn’t infringed.

“Nah, nah, nah. I didn’t think I got the free kick,” he said.

“We were probably going that bad at the Tigers that a draw was worth celebrating.”

Seconds earlier and full-back Brian Lake – who was known as Brian Harris just months earlier – clunked a contested mark in the forward line.

Lake got up clutching his hamstring and refused to take the kick, with the umpire giving Will Minson the set-shot instead.

“(Lake) faked the injury. Clearly, he was not injured,” Brown said.

“Big Wilbur came in and did the job. I knew that Will was a very good set-shot, having played with him.

“Obviously he didn’t do a lot of field kicking, but when it came to the set-shot business he was very methodical. Much like Mason Cox – kept them low and kept them good.”

Minson levelled the scores – Richmond 20.10 (130) to the Dogs 19.16 (130) – to keep the Dogs undefeated after Round 5, and Lake’s scan came back clear.

He played six days later, much to the Tigers’ frustration, and the Dogs haven’t played in a draw in their 275 games since.

It was a strange day indeed. Richard Tambling, the unfortunate player to be drafted just before Lance Franklin, polled a Brownlow Medal vote for his 23 disposals.

And lightning then struck twice. Seven days later North Melbourne pair Brent Harvey and Brady Rawlings embraced after a draw against Sydney at the same ground.

“All last week I was thinking what a fool Browny looked like and now it’s myself and Brady,” Harvey said at the time.

4. Likes bulldogtragic, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    This game may have been our best stolen draw:

Former Richmond superstar Nathan Brown explains why he celebrated a draw against Western Bulldogs

Nathan Brown raised both arms in celebration and took four steps accelerating towards his teammates. At the same time Western Bulldog Bob Murphy charged towards Brown to unleash a mighty spray. Relive the hilarious moment.

Richmond star Nathan Brown raised both arms in celebration and took four steps accelerating towards his teammates.

The final siren sounded at Marvel Stadium and the Tigers had led Brown’s old Western Bulldogs by 19 points in red time. There was only one problem.

The Dogs booted 3.1 in the dying minutes of the 2008 thriller, and Brown had rejoiced at a draw.

“For some reason I thought, obviously, that we’d won, and being an ex-Doggies player it means a bit more to win those games, particularly when they’re close,” Brown said.

“I got it wrong. The ball came out of the middle, it got kicked to me, went over my head a little bit and the siren sounded and I thought we were in front.

“I turned around and (Bulldog) Ryan Hargrave looked at me and goes, ‘What are you doing?!’

“I realised it was a draw, put my arms down and then I see Robert Murphy, who was a centre half-forward at that stage, charging 100m down the ground to give me an absolute earful, as most Doggies players do.

“I can remember clearly what he said to me. He ran down and with a cheeky grin and said, ‘Ah, you just made a d***head of yourself.

“And I said, ‘Yep, I did’. He took the most joy out of it.”

Channel 7 panned from Hargrave and Brown, as Murphy was starting his ridiculing run, to Cameron Wight consoling Matthew Richardson.

“Now that’s interesting. I think (Brown) thought he was going to get the free kick,” commentator Denis Commeti said.

“Nathan Brown was celebrating, but it’s a draw. How did that slip away from the Tigers?”

Commeti was being kind. Tiger Jay Schulz’s kick just cleared Brown at half-forward, and Brown knew opponent Dale Morris hadn’t infringed.

“Nah, nah, nah. I didn’t think I got the free kick,” he said.

“We were probably going that bad at the Tigers that a draw was worth celebrating.”

Seconds earlier and full-back Brian Lake – who was known as Brian Harris just months earlier – clunked a contested mark in the forward line.

Lake got up clutching his hamstring and refused to take the kick, with the umpire giving Will Minson the set-shot instead.

“(Lake) faked the injury. Clearly, he was not injured,” Brown said.

“Big Wilbur came in and did the job. I knew that Will was a very good set-shot, having played with him.

“Obviously he didn’t do a lot of field kicking, but when it came to the set-shot business he was very methodical. Much like Mason Cox – kept them low and kept them good.”

Minson levelled the scores – Richmond 20.10 (130) to the Dogs 19.16 (130) – to keep the Dogs undefeated after Round 5, and Lake’s scan came back clear.

He played six days later, much to the Tigers’ frustration, and the Dogs haven’t played in a draw in their 275 games since.

It was a strange day indeed. Richard Tambling, the unfortunate player to be drafted just before Lance Franklin, polled a Brownlow Medal vote for his 23 disposals.

And lightning then struck twice. Seven days later North Melbourne pair Brent Harvey and Brady Rawlings embraced after a draw against Sydney at the same ground.

“All last week I was thinking what a fool Browny looked like and now it’s myself and Brady,” Harvey said at the time.
    My dad made me leave this game early. Still dirty on him for it.

Also we should've WON - Richo touched a ball from the cheer squad that they called a point.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I was there for that, on the Medallin club wing, and all the doggies fans were celebrating like it was a win. We copped 10 minutes of abuse from Richmond fans about how shit we were and they shit it in. When the siren went several of them started punching empty chairs and abusing their club and players. I've never celebrated a win, but I did that day. It was sweet to steal the win from them, but the dickheads around us made it even sweeter. Best draw ever, Minson kicking a 40m goal to get it. The football gods had our backs that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    My dad made me leave this game early. Still dirty on him for it.

Also we should've WON - Richo touched a ball from the cheer squad that they called a point.
    The row in front of me all left and most of the people around me, so you weren't on your own.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    On the other side of the coin, I still can't believe We lost the previous Friday night in 2010 against St Kilda. 2 points in the last quarter after being 17 points up at 3 quarter time (one of those was Gia running into open goal straight in front from 30 metres) in one of the weirdest, defensive minded contests I've ever seen. I've detested Ross Lyon ever since.
    I hate this particular game with an absolute passion.

It was the last time that I went to the football with my father before he passed away, and we'd had, not an argument at dinner beforehand but a disagreement of sorts. The complete rubbish of that football game seemed to just rub it in.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

That was one of the worst games
    Thankfully I sensed the impending snoozeathon and didn’t go
    Smashed up a Sony Walkman radio in frustration when Fischer ( I think ) kicked that goal

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going back to around 1988
    Come from behind win at the G against Norf
    I reckon we were near 40 pts down and played terribly all day , Simon Beasley kicked a bag on a young Mick Martin .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I’m going back to around 1988
    Come from behind win at the G against Norf
    I reckon we were near 40 pts down and played terribly all day , Simon Beasley kicked a bag on a young Mick Martin .
    I was there that day. We kicked 9 in the last to win comfortably after being down all day. Beazza kicked 5

Do you remember the corresponding match the year before when Mcpherson kicked either a goal or point to level the match on the siren for a draw. I was sitting in the Southern Stand and couldn't see the scoreboard properly, and when the siren went I was jumping up and down as I did a Nathan Brown. My father and cousin were looking at me strangely as were the people around me.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was there that day. We kicked 9 in the last to win comfortably after being down all day. Beazza kicked 5

Do you remember the corresponding match the year before when Mcpherson kicked either a goal or point to level the match on the siren for a draw. I was sitting in the Southern Stand and couldn't see the scoreboard properly, and when the siren went I was jumping up and down as I did a Nathan Brown. My father and cousin were looking at me strangely as were the people around me.
    It meant we made the finals that year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    It meant we made the finals that year
    A win and we could have made it in 1987 by percentage. Needed to win the last game against Melbourne

14. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A win and we could have made it in 1987 by percentage. Needed to win the last game against Melbourne
    I know we lost bt r22 against Melbourne is the best H & A game I have ever seen.

Robbie Flower played the best football I've ever seen an individual player play in the second half of that game. He really, really wanted to play finals.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

16. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s it - 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    That was actually in 2000, our first season at Marvel. I was at that game and it was a cracking comeback - 42 points down early in the 3rd qtr. In the next few weeks that season we stole wins againat Carlton at Optus (Trent Bartlett), the Bombers (super flood) amd also the Pies.
    I was making ANZAC biscuits in the kitchen. As I mixed the ingredients together we started to come back so I stretched the cooking process out for as long as I could. The Croft/Carey contest happened just as I patted the last bit of the batter down onto the oven tray! They were the best tasting biscuits I ever tasted (Cue the Ron Barrassi line from the 1977 grand final Fried Magpie is what I want for supper tonight and I want to wash it down with *!*!*!*!ing champagne)
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Remember the game the year before
    Tremendous kick from super

20. Likes bornadog liked this post