Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  65
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favourite fringe bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not 100% sure but I think we were making room for Luke Darcy and we didn't think we could play Wynd, Grgic and Darcy in the same team. Whatever you do, don't look at the trade we did with West Coast for his services
    Ouch... But theory was good though. Luckily we got a few good years out of Matty Dent, so we came out ahead. I forgot the kids name, do you remember why we was cut?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Before my time but his AFL Tables page confounds me. He was huge, young and had multiple games with many goals. Why did we give up on him?
    I grew up around the corner from Big Monster. The day of the 1994 QF V Geelong (I think that it was our first ever night final) and I am prowling around the house like a cat on a hot tin roof. After a couple of hours my mum says to me "For Christ's sake. Put the *!*!*!*!ing leash on the *!*!*!*!ing dog and get outside and work through some of that excess *!*!*!*!ing energy" so I am walking the dog when from around the corner comes this HUGE form. It's Ijlia. Walking his dog. He was playing that night and his mum had thrown him out of the house. As we walked past one another, we nodded and he said "Your mum's chucked you out too?"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ouch... But theory was good though. Luckily we got a few good years out of Matty Dent, so we came out ahead. I forgot the kids name, do you remember why we was cut?

Luke Trew. Drafted as a 17yo at pick 14, traded to us as an 18yo as part of the Grgic swap, delisted by us a few months later and redrafted as a rookie (we needed a spot on the senior list) and then Essendon drafted him at 19yo as a rookie.
    3 clubs in 3 years.....sound likes Twodogs social life back in the day
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Trew. Drafted as a 17yo at pick 14, traded to us as an 18yo as part of the Grgic swap, delisted by us a few months later and redrafted as a rookie (we needed a spot on the senior list) and then Essendon drafted him at 19yo as a rookie.
    I gave him a quick Google - I can't see the news article behind a paywall but the lede "Luke Trew appeared in custody at Geelong Magistrates' Court yesterday accused of being responsible for a series of bizarre and violent incidents ..." has me pretty close to subscribing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes jeemak, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave him a quick Google - I can't see the news article behind a paywall but the lede "Luke Trew appeared in custody at Geelong Magistrates' Court yesterday accused of being responsible for a series of bizarre and violent incidents ..." has me pretty close to subscribing.
    If you have the link I should be able to add the article, you don't always need the subscription

Post Thanks / Like

Also faced 37 charges in 2015 - not sure as again paywall
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the link I should be able to add the article, you don't always need the subscription
    Scratch that, It's a bit more difficult than I thought
    It's fair to say he had some challenges

Post Thanks / Like

Someone has to be a subscriber!!!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Trew (12th of March 2019)

A FORMER AFL footballer called police to tell them “someone is going to die tonight” before confronting his uncle, a court has heard.

Luke Trew appeared in custody at Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday accused of being responsible for a series of bizarre and violent incidents in the Apollo Bay area on February 24.

The 41-year-old is facing various charges including aggravated burglary after he was arrested at his uncle’s home in Marengo that morning.

Mr Trew was drafted to the West Coast Eagles in 1995 and later spent time with the Western Bulldogs and Essendon, but never managed a senior AFL game.

Police allege the Apollo Bay man initially attacked a woman known to him, choking her and leaving her unable to breathe for several seconds.

Geelong family violence investigation unit Senior Constable Daniel Hose told the court Mr Trew then grabbed two knives, using one to cut his own face before placing a knife in his pants and saying he was going to “sort stuff” with his uncle.

Around 5am the same day, Mr Trew allegedly phoned police and told a senior constable someone was going to die. Soon after the call, police allege Mr Trew forced open the front door of his uncle’s home and told him he was going to cut his throat.

Sen-Constable Hose said the ex-footballer grabbed his uncle’s phone to prevent him from calling for help, however officers were already aware of Mr Trew’s movements and arrested him at the scene.

Police opposed Mr Trew’s application for bail yesterday, with Sen-Constable Hose telling the court the uncle remained “deeply in fear” of his nephew.

Defence lawyer Adrian Paull said his client required urgent treatment for mental health issues that would be better served out of custody.

Damian Hare, a former Victoria Police officer with the Special Operations Group, told the court he was a long-time friend of Mr Trew and that he was confident his mate would abide by bail conditions.

Magistrate Ann McGarvie chose to grant bail, with Mr Trew required to live with his sister in Gisborne and report to police twice a week.

He is also banned from entering Apollo Bay until the court case is finalised.

“This is your best chance of staying out of jail,” Ms McGarvie said.

Mr Trew will return to court in June.

Post Thanks / Like

and again

A FORMER AFL footballer will be allowed to line up for Apollo Bay this weekend after convincing a magistrate to vary his bail conditions.

Luke Trew is banned from entering Apollo Bay as part of strict bail conditions stemming from a series of violent incidents that allegedly occurred in February this year.

But the conditions will be relaxed on Saturday to allow the 41-year-old to pull on the boots for Apollo Bay in the Colac and District Football League.

Mr Trew was drafted by the West Coast Eagles at pick 14 in the 1995 draft. He later spent time with Essendon and the Western Bulldogs, but never played a senior AFL game.

Mr Trew joined Apollo Bay in 2016 and has already played two matches with its reserves side this season, however each of those fixtures were held outside the township.

The reserves outfit is currently sixth on the ladder and vying for a finals spot.

Mr Trew appeared briefly in the Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday to apply for the bail variation, which was not opposed by the Office of Public Prosecutions.

Lawyer Adrian Paull said his client had recently undergone a skin cancer operation and that he was working his way back to full fitness.

Mr Trew is facing a string of police charges including aggravated burglary and making a threat to kill.

The allegations stem from February 24, when police claim Mr Trew choked a woman known to him in an attack that left her unable to breathe for several seconds.

It is alleged he later phoned police and said “someone is going to die tonight”, before confronting his uncle inside a Marengo home and telling him he was going to cut his throat.

Mr Trew spent two weeks in custody before being bailed in March, with conditions requiring him to live with his sister in Gisborne and report to police twice a week.

He is due to return to court on September 9 for a committal hearing.

Post Thanks / Like

*!*!*!*! me he was lucky to walk that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Trew (12th of March 2019)

A FORMER AFL footballer called police to tell them “someone is going to die tonight” before confronting his uncle, a court has heard.

Luke Trew appeared in custody at Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday accused of being responsible for a series of bizarre and violent incidents in the Apollo Bay area on February 24.
    They really stopped trying with the Saw movies after the first one.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    *!*!*!*! me he was lucky to walk that day.
    My first corro Sergeant told me “its your job to present the evidence, so do that and don’t concern yourself with what the court does with it”. Some of the best advice I got. But bail on that... that’s a special kind of demoralising. If that can’t secure remand, I wonder what you have to do to get remanded. Between this and Brian Lake getting a pass, I wonder if everybody takes domestic violence as seriously as women’s advocates and police.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't Brad Wira also part of the Grgic trade?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Wasn't Brad Wira also part of the Grgic trade?
    No Wira was from Fremantle and he was part of a trade packaged with Hugh Remiers for an early pick in 1995.
    I think it was something to do with Kym Koster that we used to jump ahead in the draft order to get Allen Jakovich
    Wira was seen as a Koster replacement.

There is a bit of reading but this might help. Wira

Shit, I put up that thread up in 2006. Has WOOF really been around that long?

19. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post