Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  65
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favourite fringe bulldogs

We had a defender named Nicholson who played a handful of games for us, wore no 9. I thought he'd go on to play a lot of football with us, I'm not sure what happened. Small defender IIRC.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic.
    My first one was Stan Davidson who from memory played about 50 games for us after coming from Gippsland way. Was never the most talented but always had a crack. Mark West was great to watch and prior to him making his senior debut I used to get to the ground early to watch him in the Ressies. Circled the square at centre bounces and charged in and if you got in his way, bad luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We had a defender named Nicholson who played a handful of games for us, wore no 9. I thought he'd go on to play a lot of football with us, I'm not sure what happened. Small defender IIRC.
    Are you talking about Brad Nicholson in the 90s? Wasn't so much a small defender, more of a medium or undersized key defender from memory (we do love an undersized key defender).

4. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did his knee horrifically at VFL Park. The consultant surgeon at Monash medical centre where they rushed him after the injury said it was the worst cruciate injury he had ever seen. He said it was worse than most motorbike accidents.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Did his knee horrifically at VFL Park. The consultant surgeon at Monash medical centre where they rushed him after the injury said it was the worst cruciate injury he had ever seen. He said it was worse than most motorbike accidents.
    Wasnt that Adrian Campbell?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    The Glove!

Edit: No. Tony Campbell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The Glove!
    That was Tony Campbell. This thread is getting confusing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Yep, you are right.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

53 posts, no Ilija Grgic?

Post 54 then.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned, Brad Nicholson he was about 187cm from memory. Undersized but battled away. Not quick enough for a flank, a bit too light for a key position player. I can recall seeing him in a game at the Skinner reserve and thought he might be OK.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

53 posts, no Ilija Grgic?

Post 54 then.
    Before my time but his AFL Tables page confounds me. He was huge, young and had multiple games with many goals. Why did we give up on him?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Before my time but his AFL Tables page confounds me. He was huge, young and had multiple games with many goals. Why did we give up on him?
    Not 100% sure but I think we were making room for Luke Darcy because we didn't think we could play Wynd, Grgic and Darcy in the same team. Whatever you do, don't look at the trade we did with West Coast for his services

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I was a fan and his trade surprised me. From memory he was a little inconsistent and injured in his last year. The trade was pretty sweet in theory, a kid who was a first round draftee (who I think we delisted) and thankfully a good pick we got Matty Dent with, who is one of my all time favourites and winner of the thread for the hardest head to pull on our jumper. Which I guess was too good to refuse as a trade.

Unfortunately Ilija failed to really fire at WCE and then Essendon gave him a last chance and he didn't fire a shot there either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As others have mentioned, Brad Nicholson he was about 187cm from memory. Undersized but battled away. Not quick enough for a flank, a bit too light for a key position player. I can recall seeing him in a game at the Skinner reserve and thought he might be OK.
    He was good enough to win a rising star nonination in his first year in 1993. I recall Derek Kickett gave him a bath late in that season when he kicked 8 goals on him.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a fan and his trade surprised me. From memory he was a little inconsistent and injured in his last year. The trade was pretty sweet in theory, a kid who was a first round draftee (who I think we delisted) and thankfully a good pick we got Matty Dent with, who is one of my all time favourites and winner of the thread for the hardest head to pull on our jumper. Which I guess was too good to refuse as a trade.

Unfortunately Ilija failed to really fire at WCE and then Essendon gave him a last chance and he didn't fire a shot there either.
    We delisted him in between when we traded for him and the first game of the next season. Not our finest effort

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post