Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  65
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favourite fringe bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Aza I think it was Andrew Nicholls? He did a great job on Sav Rocca in a drawn game
    Big guy of 196cm
    The Bevo deliberate game...…..
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Aza I think it was Andrew Nicholls? He did a great job on Sav Rocca in a drawn game
    Big guy of 196cm
    Dermie was playing for Collingwood and kicked a point that was paid a goal. Or did he kick a goal that was paid a point?

Anyway the game shouldn't have been a draw.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Favourite fringe of mine has to be DFA.

The mop of hair, the cute grin, the bucketloads of heart but not the talent to match, the turning circles of a Mack Truck.

Played out the 2010 prelim with broken ribs too (although, it now kind of pales in comparison to Dale Morris and his broken back...).
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

4. Likes josie, bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Dermie was playing for Collingwood and kicked a point that was paid a goal. Or did he kick a goal that was paid a point?

Anyway the game shouldn't have been a draw.
    Waverley Park I'm pretty sure. Dermie turned and kicked the ball as hard as he could from point blank 1 metre out, except that he put it about a metre or so through the behinds. The goal umpire must have shut his eyes or flinched, and he paid it a goal. One of the worst goal umpiring decisions ever. Dermie went on the Footy Show (I think it was) and freely admitted how bad the decision was.

Post Thanks / Like

Any love for Redpath? Loved his bull in a china shop ferocity. Think he was popular amongst players too as he made them feel protected. Like DFA had the turning circle of the QE2. A pretty good kick for goal and not too bad as backup ruck. Possessed Bulldog tenacity to come back from 2 or was it 3 knee recos. I always got excited when Big Red was selected. He was important in a few of those 2016 games that made us make the final 8 (away game against Port comes to mind - he played like Wayne Carey that arvo). Feel he was Hard done by with umpires few times and possibly the solar suspension had a bit to do with curtailment if his career. I made up a “Free Redpath” small banner during one of his suspensions and got a few supporting comments about it.

On Ya Big Red!!

7. Likes Daughter of the West, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Any love for Redpath? Loved his bull in a china shop ferocity. Think he was popular amongst players too as he made them feel protected. Like DFA had the turning circle of the QE2. A pretty good kick for goal and not too bad as backup ruck. Possessed Bulldog tenacity to come back from 2 or was it 3 knee recos. I always got excited when Big Red was selected. He was important in a few of those 2016 games that made us make the final 8 (away game against Port comes to mind - he played like Wayne Carey that arvo). Feel he was Hard done by with umpires few times and possibly the solar suspension had a bit to do with curtailment if his career. I made up a “Free Redpath” small banner during one of his suspensions and got a few supporting comments about it.

On Ya Big Red!!
    One of the worst Tribunal decisions of all time: I don't count the Chris Grant suspension, as that was AFL Operations - has never happened before or since.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DFA of modern times for me
    Boumann, still can’t believe clarkson wanted him at hawthorn
    Does the great Kingsley Hunter qualify?
    Simon Cox in the 90’s , has the breakthrough year in 97 then went back to the status fringe quo
    Brian Perrin for us older farts , had his own fan club with a sign “ bring back Brian Perrin “ The great man Zeno also

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Simon Cox in the 90’s , has the breakthrough year in 97 then went back to the status fringe quo
    Brian Perrin for us older farts , had his own fan club with a sign “ bring back Brian Perrin “ The great man Zeno also
    I reckon that his fan club had two banners. One said "Put Brian Perrin in the Seniors" and the other said "Keep Brian Perrin in the seniors" One day he came into the side as an emergency but his fan club had only bought the "Put Brian Perrin in the seniors'' sign so they didn't know what to do.

12. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Waverley Park I'm pretty sure. Dermie turned and kicked the ball as hard as he could from point blank 1 metre out, except that he put it about a metre or so through the behinds. The goal umpire must have shut his eyes or flinched, and he paid it a goal. One of the worst goal umpiring decisions ever. Dermie went on the Footy Show (I think it was) and freely admitted how bad the decision was.
    Yeah I was sitting at that end. It was 1995 just before halftime.

We made the eight that year with a % of 91.5 and we only won 11 games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Favourite fringe of mine has to be DFA.

The mop of hair, the cute grin, the bucketloads of heart but not the talent to match, the turning circles of a Mack Truck.

Played out the 2010 prelim with broken ribs too (although, it now kind of pales in comparison to Dale Morris and his broken back...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    My people. There's dozens of us! Dozens.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if they are anyone favorite:
    Andrew Hooper (Debut in an AFL Semi-final)
    Brodie Moles (Anyone remembers the long bomb to no one in particular )
    Mitch Honeychurch & Nathan Hrovat (their fate are similar)
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

16. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post

On Ya Big Red!!
    Yes plenty of love from me for Big Red. Underrated for mine. Great lead for a forward and an accurate kick from close in. Agree that the players walked a bit taller when Red was in the team.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking about fringe players-I just watched dogs vs lions round 5 2016. Thought Tom Campbell played ok. Always felt he should have been given more chances. Tried his guts out, if he had of kicked straight could have had 3 to 4 goals, instead got 1. Then again North did not play him much in seniors last year with Goldstein still a good ruck. Hope he has more chances with North when games start this, or looking more likely, next year. Still got a soft spot for Big Soup. His second efforts for a big bloke were pretty good. Did not fit the mobile big man mantra we like.

Is it coincidence that Bevo seems to have a bit of a track record of rucks falling out of favour; Minson, Campbell, Roughy and Trengove?

Post Thanks / Like

The mark Les takes at 0.25 is classic Lal. The way that those three Geelong defenders are all standing around and pointing fingers at one another is a classic sign that Les Bamblett has been on the plot.

And at 1:00 Weston thnks "keep it away from Beasley, keep it away from Beasley. Holy shit that's Les Bamblett I've slapped it to"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if anyone on here has ever seen the website Sporcle? I came across it via a new Twitter account called @AFLquizzes, which links to a bunch of football related quizzes. I then searched 'western bulldogs' to see if there were other Bulldog-related, and there were a few I liked.

Here's an example - name every player that played a game for the Bulldogs between 2000-2009. I got 66/88 which I was disappointed with. Link

22. Likes soupman liked this post