Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nearly 10 Years Ago Today...

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree with W54. I can't see what was wrong with the rule say 20 years ago?
    The AFL thinks it's better for your team to turn the ball over than go for territory so there can be more advertisements during games.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

That deliberate is a real sore point - another moment in our never to be made 30 for 30.

I remember being relieved he cleared the 50, but as it started rolling I got a really bad feeling...was like the sporting gods were warning me this isn’t going to be the night. Felt it was harsh but wasn’t surprised it was called

(Some mark from Roo following this to be fair )

As BT said, thank god for 2016
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Can we stop talking about that prelim, its giving me anxiety. I've never felt so ripped off..... well since 97 that is
    Last edited by ratsmac; 25-03-2020 at 10:55 PM.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

4. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aker was an exciting edition to the club. Most of the kids absolutely loved him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    His last game against Essendon was particularly grim. He got nowhere near it and was constantly trying to do spectacular things to the team's detriment, like trying to take hangers and giving away frees, or trying to kick impossible goals instead of to teammates. It was like he was trying to show us we needed him, and ended up proving the opposite.

Relatedly - I'll die on the hill of believing we win the 2010 flag if we didn't get that weird team-wide flu right before having to play in a monsoon in Adelaide. We were cooking after sacking Aker.
    Remember Johnno doing this way too much near the end as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed Aker's time with the club except that last year as everyone else has alluded to. Kicked some freakish goals and was fantastic to watch. His 2008 and 2009 seasons were consistent kicking 92 goals. One of the great small forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question
    I think he was great value until he just crossed the line in to big a way
    Best player I’ve seen on both sides

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Aker was an exciting edition to the club. Most of the kids absolutely loved him.
    The day he announced he signed I picked my son up from Hyde street school. I happened to mention to the teacher that Aker had signed and the next thing I know I am standing in front of an all school assembly telling all the kids that Aker had signed with the Bulldogs. I've never seen so many smiles and hi fives.

My son loved him even when he was at Brisbane (he said to me one night, "why do all the other Brisbane players hate Aker? They won't go near him when he kicks a goal" and he was dead right, Aker had shit the nest and the other players had sent him to Coventry.

So the first time I take my son to meet him Aker looks at him and said "Look me in the eye kid, Don't stare at the floor" Harvey said about how he always nailed the money shot and Aker came back with the "Yep, the harder I work and the more I practice the luckier I seem to get" line and Harvey always remembers that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I should say that for real I LOVED Aker as a player. In his time he was the best kick in the league as well as the second best kick in the league off his opposite foot, and is one of the players I'll go back and watch highlights of semi-regularly.

He kicks this goal against Brisbane in 2009 in the fourth quarter, in a game where we were losing everywhere but the scoreboard, and it's just a perfect moment. The crowd is going absolutely rabid when he picks the ball up, and you could hear a pin drop after he slots it.

Such a shame he was an unbearable jerk.

EDIT - found it; at about 3:30

- I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes Twodogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I should say that for real I LOVED Aker as a player. In his time he was the best kick in the league as well as the second best kick in the league off his opposite foot, and is one of the players I'll go back and watch highlights of semi-regularly.

He kicks this goal against Brisbane in 2009 in the fourth quarter, in a game where we were losing everywhere but the scoreboard, and it's just a perfect moment. The crowd is going absolutely rabid when he picks the ball up, and you could hear a pin drop after he slots it.

Such a shame he was an unbearable jerk.

EDIT - found it; at about 3:30

Gee we had some good kickers in that team, Glibee, Aker, Johnno. Eagleton to name a few
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gee we had some good kickers in that team, Glibee, Aker, Johnno. Eagleton to name a few
    What about Josh Drummond in that vid? Forgot what an awesome player he was.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

That video is just long bombs from 55 that sail through effortlessly.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Aker as a player was an absolute star and I will admit I didn't give him enough credit for his talents until I watched him every week with us even though he was highly decorated when he was with Brisbane. As a person he was a cancer that needed to be removed as he was at Brisbane. When your own team mates don't trust you it is time as a club to make the hard decisions.

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Josh Drummond in that vid? Forgot what an awesome player he was.
    His left foot was amazing in that reel. How's the almost to 4 o'clock centering ball. The stuff dreams are made of.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved to watch Aker playing with us. Those remarkable goals were a thing of beauty. In one of the East West training days at Wesley I double parked my car to let my elderly parents out. Who should be parked behind me it was Aker. As I was outside helping my parents out Aker poked his head out the window and shouted "love the way you park mate hurry up". Recognizing him I said "Give me a break Aker". He laughed, turned off his engine left his car double parked and walked down to the oval. Strange dude.