0 0%
  • Delist

0 0%
  • Needs more time

4 36.36%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020

I thought with the delay of the football it's time to assess our list so I hope I've started this in the right way.
    We can evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020

A few stats:
    Height: 205cm
    Weight: 93Kg
    Games:29

English was taken with the Western Bulldogs' first selection in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, pick 19 overall and made his senior debut for the Club in Round 10 against St.Kilda. Cited as the most talented ruckman available in the 2016 draft pool by experts, the 205cm English boasts genuine midfield presence. Agile and athletic, the 19-year-old West Australian impressed scouts with his ability to cover the ground and pick up possessions – he averaged 15.6 disposals and 22.8 hitouts per contest for the WAFL Colts according to Champion Data. A very good kick for his size, English also possesses exceptionally clean hands and his follow up from his ruck work is first class. English finished 2017 having played two senior games, and 15 VFL games where he averaged 13 disposals, four marks and 18 hitouts per contest. The West Australian added a further seven senior games to his resume in 2018, before a breakout season in 2019. English played 20 AFL matches in his third year as a Bulldog after seven games across his first two seasons, impressing with his competitiveness in the air, mobility around the ground and follow-up efforts around the ball. English has started to look at home at the top level – and committed to a two-year extension in 2019 to call VU Whitten Oval home until the end of 2022.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's an interesting one. I have no doubt he will get there but he is just short of the mark at the moment when compared to the best ruck man in the competition. I rate his versatility though and I've read that Danjul believes he can be a more than effective forward
    He needs to improve his skill set when dropping back to help out defenders because at 205cm tall he shouldn't get out marked.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think he'd benefit playing more forward right now - he might not be physically ready for the no.1 ruck role until he's 25, but what a player he could be from that point on.

I would still play him, I think he could be a real handful forward. How you fit him there given our forward options is another question.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Tim is clearly an AFL talent, but I’m more and more coming around to him not being a ruckman. All the improvement I saw in the pre-season was quickly cast aside by getting mauled even worse by Grundy than he was twice last season.

Ruck work is a real, tangible, difficult skill that we shouldn’t just assume someone will grasp because they’re tall. I would like to see more of him forward but our list structure doesn’t really make this possible.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Tim is clearly an AFL talent, but I’m more and more coming around to him not being a ruckman. All the improvement I saw in the pre-season was quickly cast aside by getting mauled even worse by Grundy than he was twice last season.

Ruck work is a real, tangible, difficult skill that we shouldn’t just assume someone will grasp because they’re tall. I would like to see more of him forward but our list structure doesn’t really make this possible.
    Let's time travel to 5 years in the future.

We have Marra at full forward, English at CHF, Young at CHB and Naughton at FB. I could live with that.

Would need to find a ruckman somewhere along the line.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Let's time travel to 5 years in the future.

We have Marra at full forward, English at CHF, Young at CHB and Naughton at FB. I could live with that.

Would need to find a ruckman somewhere along the line.
    The thing with ruckmen is they don’t need to be generational talents. The last million or so premiership sides have had bang average or worse ruckmen. They just need to not be wholly uncompetitive, which is unfortunately not a threshold Tim always meets.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

The thing with ruckmen is they don’t need to be generational talents. The last million or so premiership sides have had bang average or worse ruckmen. They just need to not be wholly uncompetitive, which is unfortunately not a threshold Tim always meets.
    There's probably no good reason Sweet can't develop into the sort of competitive battle axe that can at least half a contest with the opposition ruckman. He showed a bit in his hit out against North.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

On the weekend, I decided to watch the elimination Final from 2016 and then the semi against Hawks. Roughead was really smashed in the ruck and if it wasn't for the Bont, 3rd man up around the ground, we could have had a different result.

I am still confident English will get there, but let's face it, he is still young and learning.

What age did Grundy become a gun ruckman?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

And in meantime please Bevo - play Trengove if Sweet is not ready yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Give him time. Yes mauled by Grundy again, but Grundy is a man at the peak of his powers and English has barely started coming into his. He is AFL quality and will be one of the top players in the competition by the time he is 25/26 (injuries permitting).

Gordon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    And in meantime please Bevo - play Trengove if Sweet is not ready yet.
    Sweet played well against Goldstein. Looked close to ready, best Bulldog performance against Goldstein since Tom Campbell a few years ago .

This could release English to become a champion CHF.

This would allow Bruce to be full forward and release Naughton to fix our second biggest weakness, full back.

in other words, Sweet could be the key to Solving 2 of our handicaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Sweet played well against Goldstein. Looked close to ready, best Bulldog performance against Goldstein since Tom Campbell a few years ago .

This would allow Bruce to be full forward and release Naughton to fix our second biggest weakness, full back.

Then Marra settles in to the FF position once Bruce is done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post

Pretty much disagree with all of this.

Sweet was OK but was well beaten by Goldstein, did about as well as I would expect English to do but without the upside.

I can't see English being anything more than a passable forward. What champion key forwards in the history of the game have similar physical attributed to English? I can't think of any. On the other hand, I and most pundits believe he has every chance of becoming one of the top ruckmen in the next few years. Unfortunately he may miss out on a year of development this year which will require us to have even more patience going forward.

I'm not completely against Naughton going back, but he has the potential to be the best key forward in the game so I would be very hesitant to make that move on a permanent basis. Keath is an excellent intercept player and if we don't have a dour stopper that's up to standard on our list then we should recruit one, they aren't the hardest players to find.

18. Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Pretty much disagree with all of this.

Sweet was OK but was well beaten by Goldstein, did about as well as I would expect English to do but without the upside.

I can't see English being anything more than a passable forward. What champion key forwards in the history of the game have similar physical attributed to English? I can't think of any. On the other hand, I and most pundits believe he has every chance of becoming one of the top ruckmen in the next few years. Unfortunately he may miss out on a year of development this year which will require us to have even more patience going forward.

I'm not completely against Naughton going back, but he has the potential to be the best key forward in the game so I would be very hesitant to make that move on a permanent basis. Keath is an excellent intercept player and if we don't have a dour stopper that's up to standard on our list then we should recruit one, they aren't the hardest players to find.
    Good post Axe Man, couldn't agree more.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.