Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring back the subs

Bring back the subs

I'm not against this suggestion but need to give it some more consideration. It comes down to a choice between having 6 players on the bench or the 4 and 2 sub option as detailed below. The easier solution is the 6 man IC bench

CARLTON'S highly respected fitness boss Andrew Russell has called for the AFL to implement four-man benches with an additional two substitutes upon its return to action in an effort to limit the burnout on players, with more games expected in a reduced period of time.

The League is still hopeful of completing its 153-game season at some stage this year, having been forced to suspend competition after round one due to the global outbreak of the COVID-19 virus.

A number of efforts to ensure the season is completed have either been implemented or floated, with game time already reduced to 16-minute quarters in order to ease the burden on players throughout the year.

However, with the matches likely to be scheduled into an even more condensed period due to the loss of time, Russell believes reducing in-game risks by allowing clubs an additional two substitutes on the bench will helps players cope with the increased workload.

"How far we can push them, none of us really know," Russell said.

"We're all hypothesising, but (the shorter game time) does change it dramatically and we can take some more risks.

"We can do certain things when we get back and I'd like to see one or two subs that allow us to actually manage our players during a game.

"A lot of the time within an AFL game, you'll get to the second half and you'll have a decision to make with between one and three players.

"Do you leave them out there to enable you to win the game, stay in the game or get back in the game, but knowing if you keep them out there you could lose them for one, two or three weeks? We make those judgement calls all the time.

"It would be fantastic if some of the best players like Patrick Cripps are struggling and we can say, 'let's get him out of the game to ensure we get him back in four days' time'. Otherwise we'll let him play the whole game and we might miss him for three weeks.

"I think that flexibility is going to be super important, because we do string players out and we do take big risks with players every week. Reducing that in-game risk, I think that will be important."

Carlton has a number of players who enter the shutdown period in the rehabilitation group, including Charlie Curnow (knee), Harry McKay (groin), Matthew Kreuzer (foot), Zac Fisher (ankle), Brodie Kemp (knee), Eddie Betts (calf) and Nic Newman (elbow).

A handful of those players have undergone surgery as a result of their injury issues, though cannot complete their recovery at the club due to AFL guidelines in the wake of the suspension of play.

However, Russell sees no issue in them managing their recovery from home and believes that daily phone conversations and one-on-one updates will help in their return to action.

"Some of them are no problem whatsoever because they know exactly what we want them to do," Russell said.

"We're in contact with them daily and so is (Carlton rehabilitation physio) Dan James, who is still on board working with the players and myself.

"We can still catch up with the players at a medical rehab clinic. We obviously are not allowed to go to the club, but if it's essential and we need to see them or change a program that's a really important part of where they're going then we can get our eyes on them.

"Obviously that's one-on-one with the player and we can change their program, then they can go away and do it.

"Up until this point in time, it's been pretty smooth."
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bring back the subs

Gia has just tweeted a return to the AFL playing ranks might be on the cards

3. Likes Mofra, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo has put forward a proposal to Hocking that we have 4 interchange plus two subs. Any sub that comes on means the injured player cannot play the following week.

Thoughts?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bevo has put forward a proposal to Hocking that we have 4 interchange plus two subs. Any sub that comes on means the injured player cannot play the following week.

Thoughts?
    Geez imagine of Bontempelli got concussed in the first quarter. That's a tough call to make knowing if you sub someone on for him Bont is out next week as well.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Geez imagine of Bontempelli got concussed in the first quarter. That's a tough call to make knowing if you sub someone on for him Bont is out next week as well.
    You may not choose to sub him out, just use the interchange

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts?
    He wasn't supportive of the same suggestion before the season started.
    While I actually agree with it, how practical is it to change during the season?

I would have preferred that he had some vision and been more vocal at the beginning of the season

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts?
    I don't mind the sub idea. I'd do away with interchange and just have subs personally. But the ruled out the next week part i don't like at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He wasn't supportive of the same suggestion before the season started.
    While I actually agree with it, how practical is it to change during the season?

I would have preferred that he had some vision and been more vocal at the beginning of the season
    I took it as a short term solution for this year only. I think this is due to the number of games being played in a short space of time, and the players not selected just sitting around and unable to participate, other than the odd scratch match.

Post Thanks / Like

I took it as a short term solution for this year only. I think this is due to the number of games being played in a short space of time, and the players not selected just sitting around and unable to participate, other than the odd scratch match.
    I get that but he was on record as saying that it wasn't needed even though there was a fair bit of speculation that games could be squashed together at some point during the season. As I said, I don't disagree with the suggestion, it has merit

I guess it's the season to adapt but if we make the change does it's stay for the balance of the season including finals even if we get back to a more normal once a week footy schedule or is it just an option for the compressed component for the home and away season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I don't mind the sub idea. I'd do away with interchange and just have subs personally. But the ruled out the next week part i don't like at all.
    You mean like they had in our 1954 premiership season (and until interchange came in)
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

There will be no change to interchange caps or subs introduced for 2020.
    Last edited by bornadog; 16-03-2021 at 12:11 PM.

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Injury substitution, not just concussion, all but certain for 2021 AFL season

AFL Commission approval is all that stands in the way of medical substitutes being introduced for season 2021.

Just two days from the start of the men’s season, the AFL’s football department, in consultation with senior coaches, has decided to introduce the rule that would allow an injured player to be replaced in the game by a 23rd man, according to sources familiar with rule change discussions.

The player must be ruled out of the game with injury or concussion in order to be eligible to be replaced.

The AFL was working through the finer details of the rule on Tuesday morning but the prevailing view was that it would be introduced and had only to be ratified by the commission.

The last-minute nature of the rule – which drew criticism from the AFLPA – was because the rule only gained traction when AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan and footy boss Steve Hocking met with the AFL senior coaches at a breakfast last Thursday, exactly one week from the start of the season.

Coaches and players are concerned that players will be more fatigued than usual given a cut on the interchange cap, increase in quarter length and the man on the mark rule opening up the game for 2021.

The decision to make it medical – meaning any game-ending injury, not just concussion, would trigger a substitution – would mean that both Richmond and Geelong would have been able to substitute Nick Vlastuin and Gary Ablett respectively in last year’s grand final, had Ablett been deemed unfit to continue.

It appears the player substitute would not be able to return at all in the game. It is unclear what it would mean for whether an injured player could play the next week. In the case of concussion, they have to be out for 12 days so cannot play the next week.

Post Thanks / Like

I think with so few interchanges this is necessary. Losing a player early in a game can make it near impossible to keep up and weakens the fairness of a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan, but at least if it's for any injury it makes sense instead of just being a concussion sub.

Coaches and players are concerned that players will be more fatigued than usual given a cut on the interchange cap, increase in quarter length and the man on the mark rule opening up the game for 2021.
    Isn't that the entire point of the interchange cap? So that we can finally open up our game and return to the halcyon days of the 1990's?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not a fan, but at least if it's for any injury it makes sense instead of just being a concussion sub.

Isn't that the entire point of the interchange cap? So that we can finally open up our game and return to the halcyon days of the 1990's?
    Thats what I thought too
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.