Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL to ‘take unprecedented control’ of clubs with claims only FOUR could survive without help

I really hope the media takes note of this and runs with it. How can Geelong, one of the SA clubs and one WA club be in a worse financial position than us, how can the Crows only be on par with us?

What kind of shit show are these privileged clubs running? How can we be next in line in the sustainability stakes ahead of a powerhouse club like Carlton?

It's almost as if the entire narrative around the clubs sitting below us, unnaturally of course, is completely cooked! If these clubs have supporter bases that deliver so much value to the game, how come the actual clubs are eating shit? It's almost as if we've been fed bullshit about their value, or they've been horribly mismanaged irrespective of the favours they've been afforded.

All this after pretty much subsidising the purchase of Docklands as well, which funnily enough, is going to be the only thing that bails everyone else out.

Oh for some *!*!*!*!ing recognition.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes soupman, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL to ‘take unprecedented control’ of clubs with claims only FOUR could survive without help

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I really hope the media takes note of this and runs with it. How can Geelong, one of the SA clubs and one WA club be in a worse financial position than us, how can the Crows only be on par with us?

What kind of shit show are these privileged clubs running? How can we be next in line in the sustainability stakes ahead of a powerhouse club like Carlton?

It's almost as if the entire narrative around the clubs sitting below us, unnaturally of course, is completely cooked! If these clubs have supporter bases that deliver so much value to the game, how come the actual clubs are eating shit? It's almost as if we've been fed bullshit about their value, or they've been horribly mismanaged irrespective of the favours they've been afforded.

All this after pretty much subsidising the purchase of Docklands as well, which funnily enough, is going to be the only thing that bails everyone else out.

I'm tweeting that and claiming it as mine!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And don't forget that pretty much every expansion club have turned to us for marquee players. West Coast-Murray Rance (and Mick Malthouse, we finished last in 1989 partly because Malthouse is distracted negotiating with West Coast and we very nearly merged because of it), Adelaide-Tony MacGuiness, Brisbane-Brad Hardie, GWS-Callan Ward, GCS-Jarrod Harbrow.

And coaches. Cameron, Eade, Malthouse all ex bulldog people who coached expansion clubs. Without us christ knows how the AFL would have any start ups at all.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given how much West Coast have outlaid on their new facility, I am actually surprised they are so well positioned to sail through a year without footy...

I don't think we should be too critical of others in this time - there could have been financial decisions make recently that have compromised a club's ability to survive...and who could have possibly foreseen the potential of a year without footy??? No-one...as you would understand, the biggest challenge about financial modelling is understanding the REAL risks of spending / versus the risks of not spending and making assessments based on that info...no-one could have factored a pandemic based year without footy into their planning - it simply isn't reasonable to think that they might have.

I know this sounds stupid but to come out of this 'intact' we are all going to need 18 functioning clubs...being critical of those who are battling right now doesn't really help.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes hujsh, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not sure about Geelong, just had a quick look at their financials and they don't seem to be carrying much debt, in fact they were aiming to be debt free by the end of 2020. They have significant lease commitments for the stadium so perhaps that's the issue.
    Imagine how much worse Geelong's financial position would be if we all weren't forced to taxpayer fund 90% of their pissant tin shed. What a colossal waste of taxpayer funds for 7 home & away matches and a couple of meaningless BBL matches a year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Given how much West Coast have outlaid on their new facility, I am actually surprised they are so well positioned to sail through a year without footy...

I don't think we should be too critical of others in this time - there could have been financial decisions make recently that have compromised a club's ability to survive...and who could have possibly foreseen the potential of a year without footy??? No-one...as you would understand, the biggest challenge about financial modelling is understanding the REAL risks of spending / versus the risks of not spending and making assessments based on that info...no-one could have factored a pandemic based year without footy into their planning - it simply isn't reasonable to think that they might have.

I know this sounds stupid but to come out of this 'intact' we are all going to need 18 functioning clubs...being critical of those who are battling right now doesn't really help.
    I agree that we need eighteen teams to try and return the game to where it was as quickly as possible, though I don't agree that measured criticism isn't required right now. Some clubs have inherently more favourable terms and have had for substantial periods of time, and they should be positioned at least as well as we are.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be supported to get through this. While my post was bombastic for effect, what I actually want to see is recognition of what a club like ours can achieve with sound management and some questions about how less financially secure clubs with more favourable fixturing and gate takings than ours can be better.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.