Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is the best Bulldog of the modern era?

I can remember watching Andrejs in his first preseason and thinking we had gotten a star. That raking left boot always seemed to swallow meterage along the ground up. A bit more confidence in his ability wouldn't have gone astray.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Does it say when it considers the modern era to start from?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It infers 1990, by stating Super and S. Wallis miss out for playing large chunks of their careers in the 80's, same as with Hawk starting his career in 1978.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Peter Foster was the one that suggested to me that the cut off must have been around 1990. AFL era perhaps?

Fossie had a couple of really good years after 1990 until 1992 when Greg Dear broke his leg.
    Check the full article I posted:

Herald Sun footy writer Sam Landsberger runs the rule of the Bulldogs best since 1987.

3. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Absolutely, on the lead on the flanks it wouldn't matter what side he turned to having spotted an option either moving into position or running at him I always trusted him to hit the target.

He's a seriously underrated player in the broader league conversation, a flag in 1997 would have made a huge difference to how he was perceived.
    Agreed - he's stiff not to be a dual Brownlow medalist. He'd be thought of very differently throughout the footy world if 2-3 things went slightly differently (Mercuri goal round 22 1996, and 97 (Ian Collins + that other September stuff))
    Last edited by GVGjr; 06-04-2020 at 10:36 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs