Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is the best Bulldog of the modern era?

Does it say when it considers the modern era to start from?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    A few points:

-Chris Grant #1 for me by a wide margin.

-I think Libba is too low. Warrior who won Brownlow and then reinvented himself under Plough to be the most feared tagger in his era.

-Think Bob is above Bubba for me.

-Nathan Brown above Darcy is a joke

Yep agree with all that.

Gee we have had some elite players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Does it say when it considers the modern era to start from?
    It infers 1990, by stating Super and S. Wallis miss out for playing large chunks of their careers in the 80's, same as with Hawk starting his career in 1978.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It infers 1990, by stating Super and S. Wallis miss out for playing large chunks of their careers in the 80's, same as with Hawk starting his career in 1978.
    Peter Foster was the one that suggested to me that the cut off must have been around 1990. AFL era perhaps?

Fossie had a couple of really good years after 1990 until 1992 when Greg Dear broke his leg.

Post Thanks / Like

It's rightly Turtle then daylight, but it's churlish to think the Bont won't relegate him to #2 when all's said and done. *fingers crossed*

Macrae needs more love, and he'll get it after another half a dozen years of relentless, uber-reliable professionalism.

How Libba's not top-ten confounds me. I'd have him ahead of Cooney - lest it's a pure skill contest - and Bubba, and neck-n-neck with Murph. He's both credentialed and dyed in the wool club fabric.

Bryza's one of my all time favourites but it's a Dogs' top-20, not a Hawthorn one. He's a handful of slots too high and it hurts to say that. Best backman we've had this century though.

Much as we've been starved of quality big men Darc' is a little fortunate too. What could've been before that wretched knee at Kardinia Park.

Loved Gilbs to pieces, but if he deserves a spot then so does Leon Cameron. In fact keep Lindsay, and nudge out Brown instead, not because of grudges but because Leon gave us objectively better and longer service.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Loved Gilbs to pieces, but if he deserves a spot then so does Leon Cameron. In fact keep Lindsay, and nudge out Brown instead, not because of grudges but because Leon gave us objectively better and longer service.
    Gilbee revolutionised the entire game and does not get enough credit for doing so.
    Last edited by Happy Days; 04-04-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have Murphy higher....I think he was a better all round player than Smithy so I would swap these two.

I'm happy with West at 4. Great player yes, but compared to the other 3 above him he lacked real hurt factor

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Bont, as we all do but no way he is ahead of West already. West at 2 for me just for his consistency over the entirety of his career. The man was a genius with his hands.

Libba way too low! His resilience is something i've always admired. His lack of skill was made up with his lion heart.

Cooney I'm not sure i'd even have on the list. Was great for a few years but a great 50 games shouldn't get you on that list.

Macrae definitely higher! how can you have Cooney ahead of Macrae? only if you're drunk i say.

Chris Grant my all time fav. What doesn't get said about the great man is how good his field kicking was. My opinion only but best field kick left or right foot for a KPP ever!

Post Thanks / Like

Question is
    Who’s been the biggest disappointment in the modern era ?
    I’ll be interested if we could run with that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Question is
    Tom Boyd comes to mind. Its a tough one because he was huge in our flag triumph & i wouldn't change that trade for anything but overall for me his career was disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

Question is
    What's the criteria. Played many games and under performed? We had high expectations and didn't make it? A few names to kick off:

Tim Walsh (Pick #4) - One game
    Christian Howard (Pick #15 - Three games
    Andrejs Everitt (Pick #11) - Big expectations after a solid start. Massive disappointment. Only played 36 games for the Dogs.
    Ryan Griffen (Pick #3) - Judas act that ultimately won us the flag. But is your captain walking out on the club a disappointment. Yep.
    Farren Ray (Pick #4) - High hopes after that final against Pies. Will be remembered as a "deer in the headlights" in big games for the Bulldogs. Huge disappointment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I love the Bont, as we all do but no way he is ahead of West already. West at 2 for me just for his consistency over the entirety of his career. The man was a genius with his hands.

Libba way too low! His resilience is something i've always admired. His lack of skill was made up with his lion heart.

Cooney I'm not sure i'd even have on the list. Was great for a few years but a great 50 games shouldn't get you on that list.

Macrae definitely higher! how can you have Cooney ahead of Macrae? only if you're drunk i say.

Chris Grant my all time fav. What doesn't get said about the great man is how good his field kicking was. My opinion only but best field kick left or right foot for a KPP ever!
    Absolutely, on the lead on the flanks it wouldn't matter what side he turned to having spotted an option either moving into position or running at him I always trusted him to hit the target.

He's a seriously underrated player in the broader league conversation, a flag in 1997 would have made a huge difference to how he was perceived.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I love Jack but in all fairness Cooney is a brownlow medallist.
    So is Libba and should be well ahead of Cooney too.

Post Thanks / Like

Question is
    Good lord, get comfortable.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

He wouldn't win it but Andrejs Everitt would be in the running.

We reached for him in the draft, which was classic Clayton, but then his debut year was fantastic, he was a dynamic tall half back flanker with a raking left foot. We give him number 3, he is our future star. Maybe 3 years later we are trying him out as an undersized ruckman and he plays out his career as a solid depth player.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right