Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My favourite Bulldog for each jumper number #

My personal favourite player to pull on each jumper number (starting with #1 to #20 others numbers to follow)

#1 Andrew Purser - Only played five seasons but had a massive impact. A childhood hero and a key member of that 1985 team.

#2 Robert Murphy - Nearly impossible to go past Bob. But I did love Steven Kolyniuk and will never forget that goal at the MCG to beat the Pies "Will he take Wright on, yes he does, I thought he would"

#3 Chris Grant - No more needs to be said. The best player I have ever seen in Bulldog colours. If he decided to leave it also could have been the end of our beloved club.

#4 Marcus Bontempelli - My loves grows fonder every year. Apologies to Cross who brought so much joy over the years and was as courageous as any Bulldog I have ever seen.

#5 Matthew Boyd - Hard choice. Loved Bubba too. But loved the determination and how Boyd got every last inch out of his God given natural talent.

#6 Brad Johnson - Captain. 355 games. 551 goals. Hard to believe he kicked 74 goals in a season. So lucky to see his entire career. Shoutout to Dalhaus who I just loved watching in his first few years.

#7 Doug Hawkins - Tough choice for the #7. Loved Scott West too. But Hawkins was my childhood hero (grew up with the #7 on my back) and was a key reason I fell in love with the game.

#8 Rick Kennedy - Another childhood hero. Tough as nails. Apologies to Southern who was such a fan favourite.

#9 Lindsay Gilbee - What a kick. It was a thing of beauty to watch. Also loved Paul Hudson's 100 odd games too. Such a reliable kick and always knew where the goals were.

#10 Easton Wood - Premiership Captain. Enough said. Shout out to another childhood hero, Mick Egan.

#11 Tony McGuiness - Apologies to Jack Macrae. But I just loved watching McGuiness and cried when he left to go to Adelaide. Such a penetrating kick for a little man.

#12 Greg Eppelstun - Loved the mullet and believe it or not he played for Victoria.

#13 Daniel Giansiracusa - Easy choice. No one else has even played more than 50 games in this jumper.

#14 Clay Smith - Apologies to Luke Darcy. Too young to see Shultz or Round. Will never forget the courage, tenacity and month of football he played in September 2016. Bulldog immortal.

#15 Scott Wynd - Another childhood hero. Loved watching him floating across half back taking mark after mark. Apologies to the bearded one Ben Hudson who was also a favourite of mine in the Eade era.

#16 Matthew Croft - The boy from Mildura always got the toughest assignment in an era that included the likes of Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, Lloyd and Modra.

#17 Adam Cooney - Just loved him when he was at his peak. Could have been anything if it wasn't for his knee.

#18 Simon Beasley - Tough choice. Loved Leon Cameron too. Another childhood hero. Nearly went to every game in 1985 including the semi-final against North Melbourne at the MCG when he kicked the ton. So many beautiful memories of the pieman.

#19 Luke Beveridge - Slim pickings in the modern era for this number. But it has to be the man who led us to the promised land.

#20 Jim Edmond - Another childhood era. That team was never the same after he left.
    Last edited by angelopetraglia; 06-04-2020 at 08:44 PM.

2. Likes bornadog, GVGjr, Twodogs, Mofra, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My favourite Bulldog for each jumper number #

Love it, AP.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to disagree with those. I guess some could add the players they have seen in the jumper.

For example:

I only saw Teddy Whitten in his last few years that I can remember, some may have not have seen Chris Grant and would choose another player wearing the number 3.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Les Bamblett would be my #9 but gee there have been some pretty good players to wear it in my time. It's been a bit of a goalkicker number for us.

Start with tough guy Ian Salmon in the mid '70s then the one half decent player we got in the Gary Dempsey swap, a guy called John Moylan. Stan Davidson came down from the bush and played 50 odd games before transferring to Wiliamstown and playing in a flag. After him came Lally for 37 wonderful games and 59 brilliant goals. John Georgiades lit it up for 15 games and 27 goals. Brad Nicholson wore it for three years and then another goalkicker in Paul Hudson (108 games and 214 goals) then Gilbee.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes angelopetraglia, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#18 Simon Beasley - Tough choice. Loved Leon Cameron too. Another childhood hero. Nearly went to every game in 1985 including the semi-final against North Melbourne at the MCG when he kicked the ton. So many beautiful memories of the pieman.
    God I loved watching that pasty, frail, pink and shell-like number 18 get on a long lead knocking other players down left, right and centre on the way to taking an overhead mark with three opponents hanging off him.

10. Likes angelopetraglia, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    God I loved watching that pasty, frail, pink and shell-like number 18 get on a long lead knocking other players down left, right and centre on the way to taking an overhead mark with three opponents hanging off him.
    Absolutely. It so exciting to cheer on a genuine goal kicking full forward. Beasley has been the best in my time. Also loved watching Barry Hall kick 80 goals in 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

How many times did we see him kick bags of 9, 12, etc. Copped alot of of punches to the back of the head getting those contested marks

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How many times did we see him kick bags of 9, 12, etc. Copped alot of of punches to the back of the head getting those contested marks
    There were some good and tough full backs in that era too. Langford, Frawley, Martin, Silvangni, Carter, Duckworth ...

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He kicked more A/VFL in the 1980s (575 I think) than any other player.

To answer your question he had 3 bags of 12, 1 of 11, 1 of 10 and 3 bags of 9! Un*!*!*!*!ingbelievable!!!!

16. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He kicked more A/VFL in the 1980s (575 I think) than any other player.

To answer your question he had 3 bags of 12, 1 of 11, 1 of 10 and 3 bags of 9! Un*!*!*!*!ingbelievable!!!!
    Accurate kick too. His three bags of 12 goals he kicked 12.3, 12.3 and 12.4. In 1985 he kicked 105.41.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Accurate kick too. His three bags of 12 goals he kicked 12.3, 12.3 and 12.4. In 1985 he kicked 105.41.
    I know I have said it before, but 1985 was almost my favourite season of footy.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I have said it before, but 1985 was almost my favourite season of footy.
    Yep mine too. A great team that took us on the ultimate roller coaster ride

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    He could be our goalkicking Mr Miyagi.

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew Purser #1
    Bernie Quinlan is the hands down #2 on my list
    Peter Featherby #3 Stoneman a close 2nd.
    Brad Hardie #4
    Rohan Smith #5
    Brad Johnson #6
    Doug Hawkins #7
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Andrew Purser #1
    Bernie Quinlan is the hands down #2 on my list
    Peter Featherby #3 Stoneman a close 2nd.
    Brad Hardie #4
    Rohan Smith #5
    Brad Johnson #6
    Doug Hawkins #7

I'll add some more later
    Only saw Superboot in a Fitzroy jumper, but loved what he did in the 1980s there.