Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Swampy on Twitter

Does anyone else follow Swamp Things tweets on, err, twitter?

This one really appealed to me.

Richard Osborne & Stephen Milne both kicked 7.2 (44) while wearing #44
    Last year Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti kicked 7.1 (43) wearing #43
    Warwick Capper kicked 6.3 (39) on 7 occasions wearing #39
    I wonder how many times Templeton kicked 5.1 (or 4.7) or Beasley kicked 3.0?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swampy on Twitter

Jarrad Grant has 15 career games with 0.1. The true GOAT.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes ReLoad, Sedat, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most V/
    @AFL
    games for WBD without playing in a Final for them
    166 - George Bisset
    151 - David Thorpe
    151 - Allan Hopkins
    144 - Ted Whitten jnr
    137 - Don McKenzie
    133 - David Darcy
    128 - Mick Egan

Post Thanks / Like

Great list that.

I would have loved to have seen David Darcy in full flight. So many have told me what a terrific full back he was

David Thorpe was a gun footballer
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Great list that.

I would have loved to have seen David Darcy in full flight. So many have told me what a terrific full back he was

I saw him as a kid but don't remember much about him. He represented Victoria as the FB and kept some great fullforwards to low scores.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great list that.

Swampy is a star with stats

Alan Hopkins must have been a real gun too. A Brownlow win and 2 (or was it 3) top 3 placings in teams that barely won a game and vever finished in the top half of the ladder is an incredible record. He also kicked 7 goals in his second senior match in our VFA days too from a forward flank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I saw him as a kid but don't remember much about him. He represented Victoria as the FB and kept some great fullforwards to low scores.
    From memory, I think I was told one of his strengths was that he was a long accurate kick.
    Perhaps NBP or Bulldog 4 Life might be able to shed some light

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Swampy is a star with stats

Alan Hopkins must have been a real gun too. A Brownlow win and 2 (or was it 3) top 3 placings in teams that barely won a game and vever finished in the top half of the ladder is an incredible record. He also kicked 7 goals in his second senior match in our VFA days too from a forward flank.
    When my grand father wasn't talking about Whitten, Hopkins got a lot of mentions as well as Peter Box

I can recall Thorpe and Power on the wings for us.

Post Thanks / Like

When my grand father wasn't talking about Whitten, Hopkins got a lot of mentions as well as Peter Box

I can recall Thorpe and Power on the wings for us.
    Box must have been a phenomenal player. He played at CHF in a premiership team two years after nearly dying in a motorbike accident. He had leg and head injuries that kept him in hospital for three months (I came off a Triumph 1200 travelling at over 100 kms plus. I can assure you the mental problems are hard enough to overcome, never mind the broken bones and skin and joint damage. Every time i hear a noise i jump and sometimes still when i close my eyes i see the tarmac rushing up at me. It was more than 25 years ago and I still have skin damage on my chin, wrists and knees) and then won a Brownlow playing in the centre.

Unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like

Box must have been a phenomenal player. He played at CHF in a premiership team two years after nearly dying in a motorbike accident. He had leg and head injuries that kept him in hospital for three months (I came off a Triumph 1200 travelling at over 100 kms plus. I can assure you the mental problems are hard enough to overcome, never mind the broken bones and skin and joint damage. Every time i hear a noise i jump and sometimes still when i close my eyes i see the tarmac rushing up at me. It was more than 25 years ago and I still have skin damage on my chin, wrists and knees) and then won a Brownlow playing in the centre.

Unbelievable.
    Former team mate of Box in Jim Gallagher recalls Box fronting up to training after his motor bike accident and could only limp rather than run. His determination was such that he told his Father he would win the Brownlow Medal which he did. In an era of top key players Peter Box had no peer. Prior to returning to Football he had become close to Davis Cup squad selection in Tennis.

12. Thanks Twodogs, Mofra, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From memory, I think I was told one of his strengths was that he was a long accurate kick.
    Perhaps NBP or Bulldog 4 Life might be able to shed some light
    David Darcy was recruited from Sunshine and became an excellent Full back with good marking and foot skills . Carved out a successful stint Coaching and playing in the SANFL with South Adelaide. Very successful Hotelier with 4 establishments which includes son Luke and family

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Former team mate of Box in Jim Gallagher recalls Box fronting up to training after his motor bike accident and could only limp rather than run. His determination was such that he told his Father he would win the Brownlow Medal which he did. In an era of top key players Peter Box had no peer. Prior to returning to Football he had become close to Davis Cup squad selection in Tennis.
    Cheers NBP. That's "force of nature" stuff right there. Do you know how he ended up with us? What the story behind his recruitment was because he wasn't a local boy he came from (the then) exotic Cheltenham.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers NBP. That's "force of nature" stuff right there. Do you know how he ended up with us? What the story behind his recruitment was because he wasn't a local boy he came from (the then) exotic Cheltenham.
    Peter Box’s father owned a market garden in Cheltenham and Box was to pick up a couple of team mates in Ron Porta and Lionel Ryan and take them to training at Footscray. He was a superb athlete excelling at both Football and Tennis. Box later accepted a Coaching position at Narrandera in the Riverina where he remained a standout in that Competition.

16. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Peter Box’s father owned a market garden in Cheltenham and Box was to pick up a couple of team mates in Ron Porta and Lionel Ryan and take them to training at Footscray. He was a superb athlete excelling at both Football and Tennis. Box later accepted a Coaching position at Narrandera in the Riverina where he remained a standout in that Competition.
    Lional Ryan was the poor fella who missed out on the Grand Final so Charlie Sutton could come in. Does that sound right?

Post Thanks / Like

Lional Ryan was the poor fella who missed out on the Grand Final so Charlie Sutton could come in. Does that sound right?
    That is correct. Lionel has been a great servant of our Club having served for many years on the Past Players Committee.He is the Grandfather of former SS star Ryan O’Keefe.

19. Likes Mofra liked this post