Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs among the six clubs to go it alone

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If the interest rate is low enough (and I'm guessing it is pretty freaking low right now), taking on some debt via the AFL may not be a negative thing if it allows us to maintain some cash reserve and utilise it effectively once we get out of this thing.

If not being in debt is the only incentive to churn through our own hard earned cash, I think we're being stiffed.
    I have followed the club for a very long time (yeah I know- sorry) and have seen us sell star players in the 70s to keep alive, nearly merge with Fitzroy after racking up huge debts, nearly fold in 1996, only to be rescued again and countless talk about relocation in the 80s to Brisbane, and who knows where.

Now that we are debt free, and in a good position, I would not like to see the club back in debt, even if the interest rate is low. You never know what will happen in the next few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I read somewhere the clubs would have to pay back the AFL at ~3%. If you're sitting on cash and earning less than half of that in interest then why would you borrow?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The magnitude of the work at the club is so significant
    Kudos to Peter Gordon and his team and the tireless work .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think I read somewhere the clubs would have to pay back the AFL at ~3%. If you're sitting on cash and earning less than half of that in interest then why would you borrow?
    Where has the 3% figure come from?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

If the interest rate is low enough (and I'm guessing it is pretty freaking low right now), taking on some debt via the AFL may not be a negative thing if it allows us to maintain some cash reserve and utilise it effectively once we get out of this thing.

If not being in debt is the only incentive to churn through our own hard earned cash, I think we're being stiffed.
    You think that Gordon, Bains and Co are inept and are being stiffed by the AFL? Right. I'm guessing they have a little more information on the subject than we do to make the right decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Where has the 3% figure come from?
    I've had a quick look but have actually had to work this morning.....which is a massive injustice! We're not a sovereign government, nor is the AFL, so we're not going to get funding as attractive we might like.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I, for one, am sick of how we and the other big clubs, have to prop up the small impoverished clubs like Carlton, Essendon & Geelong.

I'm not sure that the Victorian market can support having all of these poor clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

How times have changed. Amazing position to be in.

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. The world really has turned upside down. What an incredible situation for us to be in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You think that Gordon, Bains and Co are inept and are being stiffed by the AFL? Right. I'm guessing they have a little more information on the subject than we do to make the right decisions.
    I don't think comrade was being critical just inquisitive
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think comrade was being critical just inquisitive
    Yep, and the point is, we don’t have the information or context behind our decision which is what I am speculating about. Would be a pretty boring period if we weren’t able to comment on things we have less than perfect information on.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, and the point is, we don’t have the information or context behind our decision which is what I am speculating about. Would be a pretty boring period if we weren’t able to comment on things we have less than perfect information on.
    I've got no issue with that other than the "I think we're being stiffed" bit. I have the same queries as you do but I don't for one second think the people responsible for putting the club in such a strong position are likely to drop the ball here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I've got no issue with that other than the "I think we're being stiffed" bit. I have the same queries as you do but I don't for one second think the people responsible for putting the club in such a strong position are likely to drop the ball here.
    You're probably right and I 100% hope you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter has been reading this thread and just commented on SEN.

If the AFL know you are liquid then you can't ask for assistance.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Peter has been reading this thread and just commented on SEN.

If the AFL know you are liquid then you can't ask for assistance.
    Fair enough, I guess. So you can assume no extra leverage/benefit to churning through your own cash reserves then?

Won't be surprised if we have to ask for our own hand out if the lockdown goes on long enough.

One positive from the PG interview is that it sounds like he has the ear of Gil, so we're not going to be blindsided at any point.