Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypothetical #2: At the start of 2021...

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Jason Dunstall's was pretty good too.
    Seems to be a theme, successful players had the best techniques. If only others were allowed to copy them
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Hypothetical #2: At the start of 2021...

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Seems to be a theme, successful players had the best techniques. If only others were allowed to copy them
    You know that film where the bloke leans out of the window and screams "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not putting up with it anymore..."
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think generally current day footballers are a brilliant kick of the ball and far better than the past. Goal kicking hasn't improved, only because lots of shots at goal are taken when the player is fatigued.

Players these days are fitter, run faster and cover a lot more distance than the past. Look at some old footage of games and you will see the difference.
    I don't disagree about the fatigue but I'm not sure we do everything we can to offset it.

For example we still have numerous players with inconsistent set shot routines and awkward runups/ball drops. Having a consistent routine helps negate the likelihood of your effectiveness being reduced by fatigue.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I don't disagree about the fatigue but I'm not sure we do everything we can to offset it.

For example we still have numerous players with inconsistent set shot routines and awkward runups/ball drops. Having a consistent routine helps negate the likelihood of your effectiveness being reduced by fatigue.
    The Lockets, Beasleys, Dunstals hardly ever left the goal square and to them it was like a training run shooting for goal. If you go to training, players hardly ever miss their shots. The only pressure the old footballers had was in their head. Now you have fatigue and mental pressure combined.

BTW: I was talking footballers in general, and not just our club, but you could be right about technique with our players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on.
    Hence, with the wishlist prescribed in the OP, improving our goal kicking accuracy was at the top of my wishlist. It's arguably the one aspect of Bont's game that stops him being the competition's best.

Every club needs an 'edge' over the rest of the competition in one aspect of the game. Hawthorn's three-peat was on the back of a fleet of left footers who simply kicked the ball better than anyone else. We didn't have that, so we developed 'handball club' which caught everyone off guard for a season before it was shut down (the third man up rule - which we used more than any other club in the competition in 2016 - also had an impact).

What is our 'edge' this year? Next year? With Josh Bruce and Aaron Naughton it simply has to be marking power ahead of the ball, noting how hard Schache runs and Bailey Dale and Sam Lloyd can mark as well. I can't see where else we could be no 1.
    If we improve our conversion from set shot, that marking should be a real asset.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It also doesn't explain the missed shots early in the games and early in the quarters
    The goal kicking practice is often performed at the end of the training session to test the players with fatigue however, the sessions aren't treated as a seriously as they should and rarely do they have someone on the mark. We take that form and maybe even that attitude into games

Fatigue is a minor issue in the scheme of things.

When players as skillful as Bont miss 3 times to the same side in a dome it isn't just an issue with fatigue. He has a technique issue

7. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think generally current day footballers are a brilliant kick of the ball and far better than the past. Goal kicking hasn't improved, only because lots of shots at goal are taken when the player is fatigued.

Players these days are fitter, run faster and cover a lot more distance than the past. Look at some old footage of games and you will see the difference.
    Most of the games better players are as fit as the era they play in demands. I just don't accept that missing as many set shots is inevitable as some seem to think for whatever reasons that are offered.

On top of that ground conditions are vastly better than they ever have been, Melbourne based players often get to play in a dome and yet we are missing shots early in games and early in quarters.

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Lockets, Beasleys, Dunstals hardly ever left the goal square and to them it was like a training run shooting for goal. If you go to training, players hardly ever miss their shots. The only pressure the old footballers had was in their head. Now you have fatigue and mental pressure combined.

BTW: I was talking footballers in general, and not just our club, but you could be right about technique with our players.
    They mostly play inside under a roof whereas the players you mentioned played on outside arenas with balls that were used for the entire match. In wet weather that meant the balls got waterlogged and heavy and became almost impossible to kick in a straight line or over any distance.

The players you mentioned were accurate kicks at goal because they were taught to kick the ball with a proper technique not because they were stay at home forwards (which most of them weren't-they cleared out the forward line for a reason-Lockett is the only real lurk in the goal square forward you have mentioned) Beasley and Dunstall ran up the ground on long leads 30 or 40 metres up the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

They were good kicks at goal because it was important to them to be a good kick at goal. As with all things coaching, you can present the material but you can’t make them care...good coaches are created by a bunch of interested players.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    They were good kicks at goal because it was important to them to be a good kick at goal. As with all things coaching, you can present the material but you can’t make them care...good coaches are created by a bunch of interested players.
    From the limited number of training session I have seen in the last 2 years, our players are very enthusiastic about kicking goals from almost impossible angles but slightly less enthusiastic with set shots and getting into a good goal kicking routine
    The likes of Lockett, Dunstall and Beasley focused on making just about every set shot count
    I remember a player years ago who was reviewing his career saying he just wasn't a good enough footballer to be able to miss shots from 35 meters out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The likes of Lockett, Dunstall and Beasley focused on making just about every set shot count
    I remember a player years ago who was reviewing his career saying he just wasn't a good enough footballer to be able to miss shots from 35 meters out.
    Dunstall did the commentary for the 89 grand final in the best 50 games thing and was very upset with some of his own efforts. I think it became more important to him as he became a more experienced difference between kicking 2.0 and 0.2 on the outcome of a game is staggering. 30m out? “Hit your free-throws man”. Easy misses have a massive impact on the player and his teammates.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunstall did the commentary for the 89 grand final in the best 50 games thing and was very upset with some of his own efforts. I think it became more important to him as he became a more experienced difference between kicking 2.0 and 0.2 on the outcome of a game is staggering. 30m out? “Hit your free-throws man”. Easy misses have a massive impact on the player and his teammates.
    Watch our players and you can actually see the shoulders start to sag when we miss an easy shot. You can see them thinking "we worked so hard to get that shot and we pissed it up against the wall. What's the point?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Watch our players and you can actually see the shoulders start to sag when we miss an easy shot. You can see them thinking "we worked so hard to get that shot and we pissed it up against the wall. What's the point?"
    I'd expect most AFL players would be the same.

Back in the day Matthew Lloyd would take a lot of shots from 35m out directly in front at training. More than anyone else in the comp at the time, he just knew the importance of nailing those shots.

If you compare that to our players, how many players would line up from that spot and you'd be confident it's going through? Dickson - it's his last year. Schache - fringe. Lloyd perhaps. Wallis and English yes. Strangely, I'd be confident in Cordy kicking it and JJ if the scores were close (he's a player that seems to thrive under scoreboard pressure).

There wouldn't be many others.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The "SOFT CAP" on footy department spending is slashed by 1/3rd (down to $6million'ish)..and we have decisions to make. Assistant coaches, development coaches, massage therapists, yoga instructors, HP managers, video analysts...

We need to find "the one thing" to invest in that will:

- Provide us with a competitive advantage on game day.
    - Provide us with a competitive advantage with regards attracting free agents.

All bets are off...we can do WHATEVER we want. Is our focus to be cranking up our footy department and doubling down on coaching mentors and 1-on-1 services, mental health services, physical recovery (cryo chambers, float tanks), creating a wellness/mindfulness centre with yoga, meditation etc, amping up the video to provide 3d modelling (and interactive vr systems for game sim)...the floor is yours...make a difference. The decks have been cleared due to the virus and everyone is starting again...and we don't want to be like everyone else...so our focus is...
    The approximate spend in the footy department

Where would you cut down?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.