Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fox Footy’s The 50-50 -

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Just watched the end of the 2016 PF final again. Gee I love that game
    Easty I'm concerned you're not taking the 2016 prelim coming in second place very well. Are you OK?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Easty I'm concerned you're not taking the 2016 prelim coming in second place very well. Are you OK?
    I’m ok jeemak but yeah would have been nice to get the #1 spot
    Last edited by Eastdog; 13-04-2020 at 09:54 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

These polls are invariably weighted towards more recent matches, which is understandable. But there are a couple of glaring omissions as well as some puzzling selections. The North v Geelong PF in 1994 should be in the top 5 games of all time, yet it is only at #50 here. It is an absolute belter from start to finish. I also loved the 2012 GF between Sydney and Hawthorn, and think this should have been higher on the list.

The 2nd semi final between Hawthorn and Essendon in 1984 should have been on this list. It was a brutal and brilliant match that ended on a knife edge (Hawks got up by 8 points with Rocket kicking a goal after the siren to blow the margin out). The Hawks won the battle but the Bombers won the war a couple of weeks later in that famous GF.

Another game that should have been on the list for mine was the Collingwood v Fitzroy 1st semi final in 1981. It is the most pure exhibition of attacking football and 1-on-1 contests from both sides. The Pies got up at the death 19.19.133 to 19.18.132, with Fitzroy coming from a mile back at half time to lead with a couple of minutes left. Quinlan was untouchable in that 2nd half.

There are some very overrated games that made the list. The 2008 GF was quite dull for large parts, with the Hawks incessantly boring (but effective) short chipping game as well as conceding 15 rushed behinds. And the Nick Davis final in 2005 was borderline unwatchable until the last 5 minutes - this was the quintessential Paul Roos snorefest with repeat stoppage after repeat stoppage, terrible skills (except for Davis) and low scoring.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes jeemak, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The strangest one for me was 46. 2004, Round 11: Essendon v Hawthorn. Essendon won by 74 points! It got in because there was a big fight.

6. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Another game that should have been on the list for mine was the Collingwood v Fitzroy 1st semi final in 1981. It is the most pure exhibition of attacking football and 1-on-1 contests from both sides. The Pies got up at the death 19.19.133 to 19.18.132, with Fitzroy coming from a mile back at half time to lead with a couple of minutes left. Quinlan was untouchable in that 2nd half.
    When I was a kid there was a voucher printed in the Sun that you could cut out and send in and you would get a standing room series ticket that got you into all the MCG finals except the Grand Final and I think that I was at that game. Was it the one where Nettlefold got pinged for the deliberate OOB? it was an outrageous decision.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    When I was a kid there was a voucher printed in the Sun that you could cut out and send in and you would get a standing room series ticket that got you into all the MCG finals except the Grand Final and I think that I was at that game. Was it the one where Nettlefold got pinged for the deliberate OOB? it was an outrageous decision.
    Nettlefold match was a couple of years later in 1983 and it was in a Qualifying Final against eventual premier Hawthorn. Michael Tuck kicled the goal from that questionable free kick and the Hawks got over the line by 2 points in another epic final. Fitzroy had a super team in 1983 - they absolutely belted a very good North team by 160 points mid season and were very stiff not to go deeper in September that year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Nettlefold match was a couple of years later in 1983 and it was in a Qualifying Final against eventual premier Hawthorn. Michael Tuck kicled the goal from that questionable free kick and the Hawks got over the line by 2 points in another epic final. Fitzroy had a super team in 1983 - they absolutely belted a very good North team by 160 points mid season and were very stiff not to go deeper in September that year.
    I can vividly remember the groan from Fitzroy supporters and the look on Nettlefold's face. The DOOB rule was enforced maybe twice a season back then. Most people didn't even know it was a thing.

I can remember watching Moore and Dempsey push and pull one another all over the ground in a final one day too. From memory they changed the ruck rules as a reaction. And the A/VFL have never met a ruck rule they weren't willing to change.

Post Thanks / Like

I can vividly remember the groan from Fitzroy supporters and the look on Nettlefold's face. The DOOB rule was enforced maybe twice a season back then. Most people didn't even know it was a thing.

I can remember watching Moore and Dempsey push and pull one another all over the ground in a final one day too. From memory they changed the ruck rules as a reaction. And the A/VFL have never met a ruck rule they weren't willing to change.
    I was at all of those Fitzroy games. The Collingwood final in 81 as a 6 yo is my first footy memory. Remember being at the Junction for the North Melbourne belting and running onto the field for Quinlan’s 100th goal that same year. Was also at the Nettlefold game and still have emotional memory of the OOB and losing the game. That 83 side could have been Premiers, desperately unlucky to go out in straight sets

12. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I was at all of those Fitzroy games. The Collingwood final in 81 as a 6 yo is my first footy memory. Remember being at the Junction for the North Melbourne belting and running onto the field for Quinlan’s 100th goal that same year. Was also at the Nettlefold game and still have emotional memory of the OOB and losing the game. That 83 side could have been Premiers, desperately unlucky to go out in straight sets
    I went to a North/Fitzroy game i the late '70s (an uncle who married into the family-my granddad said he wouldn't have let Aunty Joyce marry him if he had known- played for them and used to take me when I was a kid if nobody could take me to the Footscray game-I didn't care i was off to the footy and that's all that mattered.) It was at Arden street and we stood on the wing. Fitzroy was 6 goals down going into time on and my uncle says "*!*!*!*! this we will duck out early and beat the crowd" By the time we had got to the gate Fitzroy had got a rattle on and ended up winning the game! We were still standing there at 6pm partying with all the Fitzroy supporters. If ever this kid was going to turn it was that day but I survived and matured and really learned to hate Fitzroy after they tried to take us out in 1989.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a North/Fitzroy game i the late '70s (an uncle who married into the family-my granddad said he wouldn't have let Aunty Joyce marry him if he had known- played for them and used to take me when I was a kid if nobody could take me to the Footscray game-I didn't care i was off to the footy and that's all that mattered.) It was at Arden street and we stood on the wing. Fitzroy was 6 goals down going into time on and my uncle says "*!*!*!*! this we will duck out early and beat the crowd" By the time we had got to the gate Fitzroy had got a rattle on and ended up winning the game! We were still standing there at 6pm partying with all the Fitzroy supporters. If ever this kid was going to turn it was that day but I survived and matured and really learned to hate Fitzroy after they tried to take us out in 1989.
    I had a family friend who was mad St Kilda. So as a footy mad kid I went to a heap of games at Moorabbin, which was an interesting experience for a kid. So glad I got to see footy at those suburban grounds now. I still crave it in a way.

I spent this morning watching the 89 GF. It is a ripper game. Was fun to listen to it with Brereton and Dunstall doing background on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I had a family friend who was mad St Kilda. So as a footy mad kid I went to a heap of games at Moorabbin, which was an interesting experience for a kid. So glad I got to see footy at those suburban grounds now. I still crave it in a way.

I spent this morning watching the 89 GF. It is a ripper game. Was fun to listen to it with Brereton and Dunstall doing background on it.
    Traipsing all over Melbourne watching your team at all the old suburban grounds was like a coming of age thing for most kids when I was growing up. When you were old enough your mum let you go even if dad wasn't going and it was Vic Park or Windy Hill and the locals weren't always (were never, ever) nice to people who weren't from round there.

So you'd go and you'd find the biggest ugliest looking bloke wearing red white and blue in the outer and you'd stand next to him. Then you'd find out the red white and blue cal he is wearing is his cricket club's cap and he's a Collingwood supporter!

Post Thanks / Like

Traipsing all over Melbourne watching your team at all the old suburban grounds was like a coming of age thing for most kids when I was growing up. When you were old enough your mum let you go even if dad wasn't going and it was Vic Park or Windy Hill and the locals weren't always (were never, ever) nice to people who weren't from round there.

So you'd go and you'd find the biggest ugliest looking bloke wearing red white and blue in the outer and you'd stand next to him. Then you'd find out the red white and blue cal he is wearing is his cricket club's cap and he's a Collingwood supporter!
    When I was a kid my Dad only took us to home games. It helped that we lived around the corner from the ground. Eventually when he bought a house in West Sunshine, we still only went to home games. As an 11 year old, I remember we ended up going on our own with a couple of friends in the neighbourhood, as my father worked Saturdays. These days you wouldn't let your 11 year old hop on a train and go to the footy on their own. Other than the MCG, I had not gone to any other ground till my teens, and had never been to a non-bulldog game till my 20s.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When I was a kid my Dad only took us to home games. It helped that we lived around the corner from the ground. Eventually when he bought a house in West Sunshine, we still only went to home games. As an 11 year old, I remember we ended up going on our own with a couple of friends in the neighbourhood, as my father worked Saturdays. These days you wouldn't let your 11 year old hop on a train and go to the footy on their own. Other than the MCG, I had not gone to any other ground till my teens, and had never been to a non-bulldog game till my 20s.
    When I lived in the country I was about 14 and used to catch the train down to Melbourne to watch games when I could with a couple of similar aged mates. You're right, those days are long gone or at least should be.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    When I lived in the country I was about 14 and used to catch the train down to Melbourne to watch games when I could with a couple of similar aged mates. You're right, those days are long gone or at least should be.
    It's a risk/reward strategy. You do your kids no good by helicopter parenting, You either let them go and learn from their mistakes or you have a kid on your hands who will never grow up.

But you're right. It's no so simple anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a little to 2000’s centric for mine
    As sedat said the 84 second semi was one of the best games I’ve seen
    The 81 final between Fitzroy and Collingwood and the Roys v Hawks final in 83 spring to mind
    That Geelong Swans final was tediously boring until the end and the 08 GF was a great upset but not a great game