Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sacked Podcast - B-MAC

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't agree with that. Lake played back for almost all of his games. Naughton has only played back probably about 18 games, if that as he had a few stints up forward in his first year.
    Ok, how about Easton Wood? You get the point that under Bevo many players need to be able to perform in other positions
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Ok, how about Easton Wood? You get the point that under Bevo many players need to be able to perform in other positions don't you?
    Didn't work and he was back in the backline. Bevo is not pig headed.

Macca told Lake he would NEVER play FB again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't work and he was back in the backline. Bevo is not pig headed.

Macca told Lake he would NEVER play FB again.
    A Bulldog supporting lady I used to work was related to him, it wasn't that definitive.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the principle of what you are saying but I think we've passed that stage now. It works on some, fails on others
    It's a good example for younger players. He's Brian Lake, All Australian and he has to do what he is told or there is a consequence. Brian Lake is almost alone in that he left a club and walked straight into a dual premiership (and a Norm Smith medal) role. Usually when you *!*!*!*! up and get dropped off the list then that's it, your AFL dream is over.

Lake took a chance and was unbelievably lucky to fall on his feet the way he did. So kid, if you want to take that chance, then the best of British luck to you.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's a good example for younger players. He's Brian Lake, All Australian and he has to do what he is told or there is a consequence. Brian Lake is almost alone in that he left a club and walked straight into a dual premiership (and a Norm Smith medal) role. Usually when you *!*!*!*! up and get dropped off the list then that's it, your AFL dream is over.

Lake was unbelivably lucky to fall on his feet the way he did.
    Triple premiership
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Triple premiership
    Even luckier then.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Meanwhile, we win contested ball every week but the game plan (if there is one) is to win it and kick it to the other team...then not worry too much about defending...apparently (according the the podcast) the number of close losses we had was a sign of growth....13 wins in two seasons? Right! Right....

Looks like a coach, sounds like a coach...

Without this decision, the joy that was the 2015 and 2016 seasons would never have occurred.
    The most astonishing stat from those seasons under BMac is that we somehow managed to concede more scores from turnover than even the infant GWS and GC teams. Our entire game plan revolved around winning the contested ball so we could scrap kick it straight to the opposition, who would torch us the other way time and again. It was embarrassingly predictable to witness week after week.

He was a very ordinary senior coach.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed the listen.

A big thing that stood out was his admittance that he didn't understand the level to which the senior players needed more holistic support, over and above just coaching them during the week and on match day.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's a pretty simple formula. The coach is in charge and he gets to tell you what to do and where and how to play. That's his job, your job is to shut up, listen to, understand and carry out his instructions. If you don't want to do that then don't play team sports. Play golf or *!*!*!*!ing tennis or one of the sports where they will put up with players having tantrums because you don't like what you are hearing.
    I know exactly what he said to one player who ended up leaving the club. It was way below the belt.

As a coach, you don't bail up a player in front of the group and attack them personally, call them a shit bloke, etc. Especially if it's a rant that goes for two minutes+ and doesn't even mention football.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I know exactly what he said to one player who ended up leaving the club. It was way below the belt.

As a coach, you don't bail up a player in front of the group and attack them personally, call them a shit bloke, etc. Especially if it's a rant that goes for two minutes+ and doesn't even mention football.
    I know Lake never handled the criticism by Eade and Co questioning his ability to play through an injury. Some of our coaches had some old values

Post Thanks / Like

I know Lake never handled the criticism by Eade and Co about his ability to play through an injury. Some of our coaches had some old values
    Lake took a spray better than most.
    Other players were just yelled at by B-Mac over months, not enough encouragement. There's old school, and then there's those that try that approach and miss the mark.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brendan is a good man, from a good family.

His match tactics and their results were a frustrating experience, time has told the rest of the story about the gaps in his skill as a senior coach I think. Possibly too stubborn, or too concrete a vision of how to get from point A to B.

He struck me as having a very absolute view of footy. If you do X, then Y will be the outcome. Except it wasn't. Yet he didn't seem to budge. The metaphor is probably something like the Rock and Water. I just can't decide if he was the rock trying to divert the water, slowly eroding, smoothing with time or if he was the torrent trying to force its way through and coaching just doesn't allow for that much time to pass.

I think he did wrangle some structural and cultural elements of the Club in line with professional expectations. The VFL team and footy program took on a better structure. Remember when "waxing" and a perceived rift between old and new players was a concern? I feel like he got that stuff under control, either through bludgeoning some characters into submission or cutting them off. The relief in the group moving to Bevo's more inclusive style was palpable but I suspect some foundations were laid prior.

That scrapping, contested footy proved a valuable base for Bevo to work with, seeds that spawned the Men of Mayhem. He doesn't get extra credit for it, that belongs to Bevo, but I think it speaks to his skill as a development coach and the benefit of nailing that part of the game.

His uncle, Doc, was a great Footscray man and when the Club installed BMAC as coach it was a proud moment for him. Having a little bit of an inside perspective, even just the sliver I had, was really tough to reconcile how things were playing out with everyone's hopes.

In all, a poor tenure. Had something to offer and we probably got the full benefit of it after the fact.

15. Thanks GVGjr, azabob, Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post

In all, a poor tenure. Had something to offer and we probably got the full benefit of it after the fact.
    That's the narrative anyway.

It is interesting that you talked about the 'WAXING' and generation gap between old and new players as something that got 'BETTER' - in the podcast, B-Mac refers to the gap between the old and young players being something that he wasn't really aware of and something that took him by surprise...apparently the Griff for captain decision came out of working with the younger players who had complained they didn't 'KNOW' the older blokes...who would be home with their families outside of games/training. But then, you hear the stories about the Murphy captaincy and all of the players meeting for lunch etc after training...

The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle.

I have listened to him speak a few times at coaching conferences etc and I still recall him having a real focus on controlling the controllable. But again, in the podcast he refers to the #1 task being to get a VFL side up and running...Which I understand on one level - but pointing to that as the reason for success when during his tenure the Box Hill Hawks seemed to be doing just fine, and West Coast have only had an aligned team since the start of 2019...they were also fine and won the flag in 2017 without their own t2 side. I just wonder if he was getting caught up in the frustration of what he didn't have/couldn't do rather than focussing on what he could...

I don't know. I didn't enjoy watching us play when he was coaching and I didn't enjoy re-living it on the pod. I was glad that out of an hour long podcast the subject it was SUPPOSED to be about - coaching then being sacked by the Bulldogs - was done after just 24 minutes. Let's face it - he 100% had to go.

As for the gaps in his skill set, well, we will never really know what he might have achieved if he had a strong mentor alongside him...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes Happy Days, bornadog, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed listening and it’s funny how you can forget just how bad we were back then. It was horrible.

He always seemed articulate and able to tell a good story and break down what we were trying to do. In many ways I fell for it when he was a coach but by the end it was clear he had no business in the role.

I’m not sure what he said to certain players (would love to!!) but sounds like there’s very much 2 sides to Brendan.