Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Hypothetical #3 - Ownership

Let’s say Coronavirus hits us hard. But then a Crown Prince from somewhere or overseas Billionaire offers to buy the club for $50,000,000 to break us even and fund the WO redevelopment. But it’s now a private owner.

Say there’s a members vote requiring 2/3 support.

Vote A) Ride it out. Cut right back. Struggle with the redevelopment.
    Vote B) Sell the club, invest big time in the future of club, like US/Europe pro clubs.

(GWS & GCS could be sold by the afel to private owners. The afel were looking to sell afel X teams off to private owners at some point, before failing. Edelstein owned Sydney in the 80’s. Most pro sporting comps have private ownership around the world. Private ownership as a concept has a basis for discussion, either way. With money being tight, maybe these circumstances change the game for some clubs. But ours?)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypothetical #3 - Ownership

Equalisation doesn't work with private ownership, the competition wouldn't be the same
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

No way. The club is ours.

Start on the private ownership route and we won't have any clubs or a competition. It's not in our culture.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    No way. The club is ours.

Start on the private ownership route and we won't have any clubs or a competition. It's not in our culture.
    Whose culture though? I'm sure at least six clubs would welcome private ownership. Heck a current club president loves to sell off public assets to private ownership.

Surely if one club is privately owned then the other 17 have to be also?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Whose culture though? I'm sure at least six clubs would welcome private ownership. Heck a current club president loves to sell off public assets to private ownership.

Surely if one club is privately owned then the other 17 have to be also?
    There are two who like to play that game. Are you talking about Kennet or Shepherd? They love playing hard and fast with public money but ask them to put in some of their own and they will look the other way. Turn them upside down and shake them and no change would fall out of their pockets.

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking Kennet.
    Private ownership is a very slippery slope.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I was thinking Kennet.
    Private ownership is a very slippery slope.
    I'd a thought that Jeff would have learned his lesson about privatizing vital infrastructure (that we now have to build again out of the public purse) A/ It doesn't technically belong to you so you have no right selling it-when you sell something that doesn't belong to you then that's theft. and B/ private ownership didn't work.

If these blokes want to prove their ideology works then they can take that chance with their own money in a market where they have a culture of private ownership be that Europe or the USA.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always felt like we have been kind of run like a defacto privately owned club since Gordo came back...
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd a thought that Jeff would have learned his lesson about privatizing vital infrastructure (that we now have to build again out of the public purse) A/ It doesn't technically belong to you so you have no right selling it-when you sell something that doesn't belong to you then that's theft. and B/ private ownership didn't work.

If these blokes want to prove their ideology works then they can take that chance with their own money in a market where they have a culture of private ownership be that Europe or the USA.
    Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like

"Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I've always felt like we have been kind of run like a defacto privately owned club since Gordo came back...

That's with the acquiescence of the members though. If we weren't happy with the job he is doing then we would remove him.

Post Thanks / Like

That's with the acquiescence of the members though. If we weren't happy with the job he is doing then we would remove him.
    As I understand it each of us as paid up Bulldogs members have a small stake in the club.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    As I understand it each of us as paid up Bulldogs members have a small stake in the club.
    Yeah. We are a member based organization. If we didn't wan't PG to be the el presidente then we could vote him out.