Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a reminder why Naughton should stay Forward

Anyone can play FB if they have height and a leap. All you have to do is punch the ball, and follow your man and negate them.

Now FF is different, you need to be able to take a contested mark, know how to lead, tackle and able to fend off all the backman. You have to be able to read the play and position yourself in the right spot. Naughton has all this and in his 42 games, he has played more forward than back.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just a reminder why Naughton should stay Forward

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Anyone can play FB if they have height and a leap. All you have to do is punch the ball, and follow your man and negate them.
    Cool, so what's our problem then?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cool, so what's our problem then?
    I think it's that we don't have anyone who has the height or the leap.

Not really sure BAD's fairly assessing how difficult a position FB is to play these days. Athletic attributes are one thing, reading of the ball is another and communicating with fellow defenders, knowing when to peel off a man to assist in the air, how to put a body in the right spot to block without giving away a free and a whole raft of other things make up a good FB's repertoire.

Naughton can do all of those things better than anyone we have.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think it's that we don't have anyone who has the height or the leap.

Not really sure BAD's fairly assessing how difficult a position FB is to play these days. Athletic attributes are one thing, reading of the ball is another and communicating with fellow defenders, knowing when to peel off a man to assist in the air, how to put a body in the right spot to block without giving away a free and a whole raft of other things make up a good FB's repertoire.

Naughton can do all of those things better than anyone we have.
    I still think forward is harder to play than back.

I think the man for the FB role is Le Young, with Keath playing CHB. Young played the last few games at FB in 2019 and acquitted himself well.

Naughton would be a waste at FB

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I still think forward is harder to play than back.

I think the man for the FB role is Le Young, with Keath playing CHB. Young played the last few games at FB in 2019 and acquitted himself well.

Naughton would be a waste at FB
    This is bullshit. He wouldn't be a waste, you're discrediting yourself when you talk in absolutes like this. It comes down to where we have cover and where we are exposed, and some of us think we're well exposed defencively and for at least a year or two between now and when we can resolve that exposure (through recruiting or development of a couple of players we have) we're suggesting it would be to the benefit of the team having Naughton cover us at FB given we recruited Bruce and have Schache.

I like Lew Young but he's tracking to be more of an interceptor similar to Keith than he is a one on one defending FB in my view.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's also remember that Naughton is a fairly average kick at goal, so for all those marks he takes inside 50, he's only going to convert 40-45% of chances at best. I love seeing speccies, but I also love seeing us win more.

Naughton in defence with Bruce as our number 1 forward will help us win more games than Naughton and Bruce sharing forward duties and relying on Cordy/Keath to hold down key defensive roles (the thought of these two together gives me nightmares).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see Naughton as an intercept defender similar to what we already have and not a lock down defender.

I’m not certain Naughton with our current batch of defenders would actually help our issue.

We need a Morris / Roberts lock down type not another Lake or Keith type.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I see Naughton as an intercept defender similar to what we already have and not a lock down defender.

I’m not certain Naughton with our current batch of defenders would actually help our issue.

We need a Morris / Roberts lock down type not another Lake or Keith type.
    Naughton is such an elite talent, he'll become whatever we need. I can see him just out-marking the opposition key forward all game and propelling us into attack over and again whilst helping keep their score down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is bullshit. He wouldn't be a waste,
    Getting emotional there Jee.

Maybe I chose the wrong wording, with waste, of course he would be good in the backline, but I feel better in the forward line.

We have had very few star FF in my time following the club. I have seen Templeton and Beasely kick 100 in a season, then had to wait a long time till Chris Grant came along in 1990. After Chris, ie in the last 30 years, the forward line has been barren. We have recruited alot of older players in their last years of their career, with only Hall returning a couple of good seasons. I think when you have a talent like Naughton, who is capable of kicking lots of goals, then you keep them there.

Anyway, we both differ in our opinion of where he should play, so I will leave it at that. No one is right or wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Naughton is such an elite talent, he'll become whatever we need. I can see him just out-marking the opposition key forward all game and propelling us into attack over and again whilst helping keep their score down.
    This is my answer too. If he was, or becomes, a semi-decent shot at goal, he plays forward no matter what. At the moment, I think he plays depending on our needs. I actually think we need him down back more right now but coming off injury issues, I would rather him start forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    This is my answer too. If he was, or becomes, a semi-decent shot at goal, he plays forward no matter what. At the moment, I think he plays depending on our needs. I actually think we need him down back more right now but coming off injury issues, I would rather him start forward.
    in 2019 he kicked 1 goal or less on 15 occasions.
    His best hauls were 5 once and 4 once.

on this performance his best position is where the team needs him most, and that is the backline.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why this appears to be such a challenging topic but for what it's worth I think we can find others that can play the in the back half and be 80% of the player Naughton can be but I don't think we have anyone who can really get close to what Naughton can be as a forward.
    32 goals from a player who trained with the defenders all preseason only to be thrown forward in an act of desperation is an impressive performance. If he improves his goal kicking just a bit we are looking at a potential 50 goal a season forward but in reality he impacts our forward half more than just the goals he kicks. He honors the work of the midfielder and provides a target, the smaller forwards will learn to clean up and thrive on any of his missed marks but it's his ability to make a contest that really tests the opposition defenders

While he is an excellent defender he deserves at least another season forward before we consider moving him to the back line.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes bornadog, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    in 2019 he kicked 1 goal or less on 15 occasions.
    His best hauls were 5 once and 4 once.

on this performance his best position is where the team needs him most, and that is the backline.
    He plays up the field so that stat doesn't surprise me but it's marking ability that keeps the ball forward that impresses me the most.
    When he marks the ball insider 50 we typically score from it. With Bruce in the side let he and Schache play up the ground more and keep Naugthon inside the 50.

We added Keath to the back line and while we have a surplus of intercept defenders I'm not sure that moving Naughton back is the answer.
    I'm not ready to give up on the move forward just yet
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure why this appears to be such a challenging topic but for what it's worth I think we can find others that can play the in the back half and be 80% of the player Naughton can be but I don't think we have anyone who can really get close to what Naughton can be as a forward.
    I think this sums it up for me.

Aside from Chris Grant, the player we all universally agree is or best modern day player (which means best player we have seen in our colours for most considering how long ago Whitten occurred), we have never seen a key forward at the club with this much potential as a key forward. Our pick 1 and pick 2 key forwards in Boyd and Schache have never looked close to the player we think Naughton could be (aside from maybe one GF performance). We cannot underestimate how rare an opportunity this is for us.

Yes Naughton would be great in defence, he has already shown that. But the role we need in defence is the lockdown defender on the power forwards. What a waste. If Naughton goes back he should be the one we are pushing to be the dominating pay your opponent no respect intercept marker. I guess the kind of hybrid role we recruited Keath for. What we need is someone who can play his role and lock down the main forward, what someone like Roughead does at the Pies, or Talia does at the Crows etc. Naughton can certainly play that role or a role helping whoever does that (Trengove maybe if Beveridge didn't lose his magnet), but what a waste when you see his ability up forward.

Look at the recent Premiership defences. Astbury was Richmonds big lockdown defender, Barass/Schofield did the job for West Coast, Astbury and Grimes again, Hamling and Roberts. None of these guys had to be amazing, they just had to perform in their role and be assisted by the aerial intercept defenders. Richmond had Vlastuin and Grimes, West Coast had McGovern, Richmond had Rance and we had Wood. If we plug our current lineup into that then Keath projects as the mobile intercept option, we just need to find someone who is good one on one and not a liability with ball in hand. Naughton is that, but he is so so so much more than that.

Besides, if this season goes ahead in October or whatever I am very comfortable with us taking some risks and trying this gameplan we seem to have created over summer. Give Naughton 17 games to have a real go at it up forward and see if he can take another step forward, give Keath and whoever else makes up our defence a chance to develop into their roles and see if they can make it work. If it fails we have an off season where we can grab some athletically decent and appropriately disciplined delistee to have a go at filling the role. Aside from Talia it isn't as if any of the above mentioned guys were high draft picks.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

21. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, bornadog, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His performance up front probably lit the fuse for a turn around in the vibe at the Club, I think he really lit a spark in Bevo that helped him break his coaching malaise.

You don't get marking talent like that very often. He belongs forward.

23. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, azabob liked this post