Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1997 west coast @ Whitten Oval

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Christ it was cold that day - my old man ended up in hospital a few days later (he was fine)

I remember drinking Fosters Extra behind the Geelong Rd goals - probably the last day it was ever sold.
    No worries. Go to the footy and nearly die-it's not a biggie!

Lay your life down for the team.

We were *!*!*!*!ing insane.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    No worries. Go to the footy and nearly die-it's not a biggie!

Lay your life down for the team.

We were *!*!*!*!ing insane.
    I went and watched the intra club the other month sitting in almost the same spot on that hill where we used to stand (grass a bit more comfortable to sit on then the tiered stones where to stand on) and I thought back to that day (and all other games out there - we always stood at the same railing about 10 metres in front of the scoreboard) It was a pretty warm morning in the end, and I remember some pretty cold days at VFL park and Western Oval as a kid - and that West Coast game I reckon was the coldest I've been at the footy.

Only been to one Ballarat game (round 23 last year) and I was pretty nervous getting out of the car and feeling the wind. Ended up a nice enough day though.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I went and watched the intra club the other month sitting in almost the same spot on that hill where we used to stand (grass a bit more comfortable to sit on then the tiered stones where to stand on) and I thought back to that day (and all other games out there - we always stood at the same railing about 10 metres in front of the scoreboard) It was a pretty warm morning in the end, and I remember some pretty cold days at VFL park and Western Oval as a kid - and that West Coast game I reckon was the coldest I've been at the footy.

Only been to one Ballarat game (round 23 last year) and I was pretty nervous getting out of the car and feeling the wind. Ended up a nice enough day though.

There was a game against Collingwood at VFL park when Alan Stoneham kicks the winner deep in time on in the 1970s. It was wet and cold and we stayed wet and cold all the way back to Footscray, just simply the worst day weather wise ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1997 West Coast @ Whitten Oval

Was the only game I ever attended at WO. Got dragged along by my uncles, along with my cousins. Stood on the concrete steps and froze all day, could barely see a thing but will never forget the crowd going crazy when Southern and co were ripping into Gardner like a Roman crowd baying for blood in the colosseum.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a game against Collingwood at VFL park when Alan Stoneham kicks the winner deep in time on in the 1970s. It was wet and cold and we stayed wet and cold all the way back to Footscray, just simply the worst day weather wise ever.
    No heater in the car?

Post Thanks / Like

This is also the only game I ever attended at WO and was my second game ever (the first was against the Pies in 96 where we conceded 5 goals before scoring and I made my dad take me home because the crowd was too loud).

I can remember barely anything about the game but I do still have a souvenir t-shirt from the day, commemorating the last stand between the “Dog’s” and the “Eagle’s”.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn’t go to this game but would have been a great experience. Was a Dogs supporter from the early 2000s onwards.

I have been to a few games at the Whitten Oval. The 2 pre season games there in 2015 (first AFL game there since that 1997 game) and 2017 and some Footscray VFL games over the years.

I wish I could have experienced game day at old school Western Oval but enjoy reading the experiences older woofers had from the 1970s/1980s.

Would be fantastic in the future to play just 1 AFL game there for premiership points.

The best days going there was the GF training session where we got 10K and the GF party when we got 30K.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 22-04-2020 at 09:31 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Didn’t go to this game but would have been a great experience. Was a Dogs supporter from the early 2000s onwards.

I have been to a few games at the Whitten Oval. The 2 pre season games there in 2015 (first AFL game there since that 1997 game) and 2017 and some Footscray VFL games over the years.

I wish I could have experienced game day at old school Western Oval but enjoy reading the experiences older woofers had from the 80s from there.

Would be fantastic in the future to play an just 1 AFL game there for premiership points.

The best days going there was the GF training session where we got 10K there and the GF party when we got 30K.

That was quite a day looking out over the old ground and seeing so many people off their tits with excitement.

And then when the boys turned up waving that cup around...

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was quite a day looking out over the old ground and seeing so many people off their tits with excitement.

And then when the boys turned up waving that cup around...
    Was a great day out. Went in from the eastern suburbs that day on the train to Flinders Street. A good number of happy Bulldog supporters going in. At Flinders st waiting at the station I remember the announcer at the train station saying “anyone heading to WO get the next train” I think he said.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Was a great day out. Went in from the eastern suburbs that day on the train to Flinders Street. A good number of happy Bulldog supporters going in. At Flinders st waiting at the station I remember the announcer at the train station saying “anyone heading to WO get the next train” I think he said.
    I walked to the ground with my son and met FDOTM there. We were walking up to the merch store and could see that it wasn't open and said to my son "I know it's a sunday but how insane is it that the merch shop is closed today of all days?" Then when we got closer we could see that all the merch was gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    This is also the only game I ever attended at WO and was my second game ever (the first was against the Pies in 96 where we conceded 5 goals before scoring and I made my dad take me home because the crowd was too loud).

I can remember barely anything about the game but I do still have a souvenir t-shirt from the day, commemorating the last stand between the “Dog’s” and the “Eagle’s”.
    Surely the real winners were the "Fan's".
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

After the game I picked some grass from the Hawkins wing and put it in a container which is still in my freezer

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone who only attended WO AFL(VFL) games from 89-96 - I feel a bit jealous of those who were in their 20s and older, who'd have stood in the outer or behind the goals having a can.

I live in Seddon now, but very close to ground, not far from what used to be the Rising Sun Hotel. And there are still signs in my street (albeit very faded) that say "No parking on AFL Match days".

18. Likes Eastdog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    As someone who only attended WO AFL(VFL) games from 89-96 - I feel a bit jealous of those who were in their 20s and older, who'd have stood in the outer or behind the goals having a can.

I live in Seddon now, but very close to ground, not far from what used to be the Rising Sun Hotel. And there are still signs in my street (albeit very faded) that say "No parking on AFL Match days".
    My dear old dad made those signs and put them up. He worked for Footscray Council for 30 years as a painter.

The first time I saw the 50 metre line I knew he'd painted it because it didn't arc. He painted it from one line to the other meaning that in some parts the line was 70 metres away from the goalposts! I sat in the Can Bar and thought "Oh dad"

20. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore!, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a vague recollection of Monty kicking a goal from the goalsquare and putting the ball over the back fence on the Geelong Rd end and onto Mt Mistake.

I was only 13. I definitely remember the cold.

22. Likes Eastdog liked this post