Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  213
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter charged with Drink Driving

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't have a problem if Hunter pays the fine but I still maintain there is a lesson for Smith to learn
    Yep I can't disgree with that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Some differing views on how the club should deal with Hunter

Western Bulldogs great Doug Hawkins says Lachie Hunter should retain the vice-captaincy and has called for Hunter’s peers to be spared the uncomfortable task of sanctioning one of their mates.

New captain Marcus Bontempelli, 24, is expected to have a strong say in Hunter’s punishment although Hawkins said the responsibility should sit squarely with football boss Chris Grant, president Peter Gordon and new board member Luke Darcy.

Former vice-captain Jordan Roughead, who is now at Collingwood, has vowed to never sit in judgement of a teammate again after his time at Whitten Oval.

Hunter, 25, has not been charged by Victoria Police for drink-driving.

The club said on Saturday its investigation would likely take several days to complete because of the complexities.

Hunter crashed into four parked cars on Thursday and then failed a breath test later in the night when police found him drinking with Billy Gowers.

Hunter was also fined $1652 for breaching social distancing rules, and police slapped teenager Bailey Smith with the same fine for driving Hunter from Middle Park to Gowers’ house in South Yarra.

Gowers escaped with a warning from police. All three players are being spoken to by the Bulldogs.

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton said the Dogs should immediately strip Hunter of the vice-captaincy.

“You have to be seen to your sponsors to show that socially in these circumstances you are doing the hard thing and he shouldn’t stand above society and the law,” Brereton said.

But Hawkins – who doubts the merit of all leadership groups – argued it was important for teammates to stick together.

Hawkins called for a lengthy suspension and a fine instead.

“It was a silly decision to drive. No one was injured or killed. I would fine him and (suspend) him for 4-6 games,” Hawkins said.

“Let Peter Gordon, Chris Grant, Luke Darcy and co make that decision, take it away from the leadership group.

“Call it old school, but there’s no way I would burn a teammate.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Smith being charged is just rubbish - yes there are social distancing rules, but there is also common sense.

Maybe the Police need to practise what they preach, eg Last week 15 of them at the corner of Collins and Elizabeth street, all huddled together shoulder to shoulder, practising traffic control.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Smith being charged is just rubbish - yes there are social distancing rules, but there is also common sense.

Maybe the Police need to practise what they preach, eg Last week 15 of them at the corner of Collins and Elizabeth street, all huddled together shoulder to shoulder, practising traffic control.
    Absolutely, a colleague has just been involved in a car accident out the front of where you are and you drive him to safety and you are fined because you might give each other a virus! F off.

6. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Had someone in his house. You just can't do that ATM.

If I came around and knocked on your door and said "Ledgey baby, let's get on the stubbies" You would have to tell me to *!*!*!*! off and go straight home.
    Now imagine it's your best mate, he's just broken up with his girlfriend, can't go home and is clearly emotionally unstable. "Nah bugger off, I can't help ya".

I understand the reasons for social distancing, I'm a health professional and I'm practicing it every day. But to ignore common sense and common decency is a dangerous path for society to start walking down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Now imagine it's your best mate, he's just broken up with his girlfriend, can't go home and is clearly emotionally unstable. "Nah bugger off, I can't help ya".

I understand the reasons for social distancing, I'm a health professional and I'm practicing it every day. But to ignore common sense and common decency is a dangerous path for society to start walking down.
    That's why he received a warning. Did he call a health care professional at the club or did he back his ability to supply drinks as the cure all?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain the common sense in assisting someone leave an accident when 5 cars have been damaged and taking him to another team mates place?

By the way, it's easy to knit pick the job the police are doing but in this instance Hunter was right to be charged and Smith can always appeal the fine

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs great Doug Hawkins says Lachie Hunter should retain the vice-captaincy and has called for Hunter’s peers to be spared the uncomfortable task of sanctioning one of their mates.

New captain Marcus Bontempelli, 24, is expected to have a strong say in Hunter’s punishment although Hawkins said the responsibility should sit squarely with football boss Chris Grant, president Peter Gordon and new board member Luke Darcy.

Former vice-captain Jordan Roughead, who is now at Collingwood, has vowed to never sit in judgement of a teammate again after his time at Whitten Oval.

Hunter, 25, has not been charged by Victoria Police for drink-driving.

The club said on Saturday its investigation would likely take several days to complete because of the complexities.

Hunter crashed into four parked cars on Thursday and then failed a breath test later in the night when police found him drinking with Billy Gowers.

Hunter was also fined $1652 for breaching social distancing rules, and police slapped teenager Bailey Smith with the same fine for driving Hunter from Middle Park to Gowers’ house in South Yarra.

Gowers escaped with a warning from police. All three players are being spoken to by the Bulldogs.

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton said the Dogs should immediately strip Hunter of the vice-captaincy.

“You have to be seen to your sponsors to show that socially in these circumstances you are doing the hard thing and he shouldn’t stand above society and the law,” Brereton said.

But Hawkins – who doubts the merit of all leadership groups – argued it was important for teammates to stick together.

Hawkins called for a lengthy suspension and a fine instead.

“It was a silly decision to drive. No one was injured or killed. I would fine him and (suspend) him for 4-6 games,” Hawkins said.

“Let Peter Gordon, Chris Grant, Luke Darcy and co make that decision, take it away from the leadership group.

“Call it old school, but there’s no way I would burn a teammate.”
    As great as a player Hawkins was, he was never a good role model or someone I rated as professional
    I'd be surprised if Hunter maintained the vice captaincy and leadership role once the club completes the investigation.

12. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Age

Police have fined Western Bulldogs' youngster Bailey Smith for breaching the stay at home restrictions in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus and given his teammate Billy Gowers a warning as the club continues to gather details surrounding Lachie Hunter's car accident on Thursday evening.

In a statement on Saturday, Victoria Police confirmed that "a 23-year-old South Yarra man has been given a warning" and "a 19-year-old Malvern East man has been served by post with a fine for breaching the directions issued by the Chief Health Officer". The fine for breaching COVID-19 restrictions is $1652.

The Bulldogs were taking a methodical approach to their investigation of the incident, liaising with the AFL's integrity unit, and were not expecting to arrive at a conclusion on Saturday as they continued to discuss the situation internally.

The club is hoping to determine sanctions soon after the conclusion of their investigation, with the board – which now includes former ruckman Luke Darcy as a football director – needing to ratify their decision.

The AFL – which takes a dim view of drink-driving – would also need to accept the penalty as sufficient.

On Friday sources close to Hunter claimed that Smith and Gowers' involvement in the incident was innocent, with Smith becoming involved because at least one of the parked cars Hunter allegedly hit belonged to the parents of the 19-year-old's girlfriend.

Smith is supposed to have driven Hunter to Gowers' place in South Yarra. Police who attended the accident in Middle Park later arrived at Gowers' place and conducted a preliminary and evidentiary breath test on the Bulldogs' vice-captain.

Police said in a statement the 25-year-old reigning best and fairest winner and Bulldogs premiership player recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.123. Hunter is expected to be charged on summons.

Post Thanks / Like

As great as a player Hawkins was, he was never a good role model or someone I rated as professional
    I'd be surprised if Hunter maintained the vice captaincy and leadership role once the club completes the investigation.
    I do agree with Hawkins that the players should not be responsible for determining the punishment or having input.

GVGjr do you think the players should sit in judgement on Hunter and co?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I do agree with Hawkins that the players should not be responsible for determining the punishment or having input.

GVGjr do you think the players should sit in judgement on Hunter and co?
    I don't think it's a great concept and it breaks down further when it appears it's the players who select the members of the leadership group
    It might work okay for some minor infractions like being late for training sessions or some minor behavioral issues but overall I don't think many players are equipped to judge and sentence others in their group.

I'd include the leadership group in the decision with Hunter for their input but I don't think they should have much say in it.

16. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Police said in a statement the 25-year-old reigning best and fairest winner and Bulldogs premiership player recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.123. Hunter is expected to be charged on summons.[/I]
    Close it was 2018 he won but nothing like a bit of extra mayo !

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL website has already moved on from the Hunter crash, no mention of it anywhere on their front page.

The Herald Sun website has a few mentions of it on the front page, but no doubt these will continue to slide down the priority list as they clamour for more Magpies/Bombers related news.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain the common sense in assisting someone leave an accident when 5 cars have been damaged and taking him to another team mates place?
    I thought Jazzadog summed it up well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's intellectually redundant. By that measure we should stand down all firefighters because in the case of fires, they'll be multiple of them together. Or maybe hospitals too. But police recruits undertaking essential training... Maybe they should stop all cars and vans working and shutting down stations. Homicide Squad? They work in teams of 8-10. Shut them too.

I'm not police anymore, but that's really, really poor to read from someone's whose posts I usually enjoy reading.

21. Likes Sedat liked this post